The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

We were tempted so many times to go the PC/MAc route --- finally have stood our ground .......sailing along with our Roland Daws ...for awhile longer
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
Something arrived in the mail today...

My last tape machine was an Otari MX-5050, this should be a nice step up... Not sure if I need to get a 1/4" unit to mix down too, or if I can just mix directly to my Nagra VI for the final deliverable.

That looks fantastic! Where on earth did you find it?
Old 20th December 2009
I purchased it from another GS member. I know there is a guy on here from France selling a unit (with an autolocator), one sold on eBay not too long ago for relatively cheap (although it might have been broken), and they do come up occasionally on eBay if you keep a look out. I would really like to find a C270, not so much because it is the best 1/4" out there, but it is pretty good and would be nice to have a sibling mixdown deck for my gear OCD tendencies.
Old 20th December 2009
Sky
Lives for gear

While we're busily having this debate, the mainstream computer industry just might punk us and get out of the media production business. No more HP, Dell, Lenovo or even Apple-based DAWs as we know them today.

Think about it. For most people, computers are communication tools, e.g. email and social web, and applications are normally of the office variety. If office apps totally move to the cloud, then the tiny percentage of people using today's appliance computers for media authoring and production becomes an even harder segment to support. The general-purpose desktop PC may simply vanish at that point.

Pretty much every computer could become application-specific, for example AppleTV, Xbox, handheld gaming, eReaders, tablets and smart phones. Why couldn't every DAW likewise become application-specific like the Rolands, Korgs and TASCAMs already are? Or at least the pro-sumer ones; professional DAWs could move into the machine room running on blade servers for the subset of studios that need them.

Could Digidesign embed Pro Tools into a 003-like console and add a monitor port + ethernet? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Unix, Chrome or proprietary OS under the hood? Software updates managed from the mothership, and the UI would be perfectly tailored to task? Look at Open Labs Gen 5 that now supports PT8 internally.

Similarly, could Apple embed Logic into a dedicated hardware controller with strong support for both AU and VST?

All you computer ditchers may simply be ahead of your time. heh heh heh

Sky
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Heard that!hehheh
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Ha are you Swedish?
Nope, but grew up in Stockholm for 14 years........heh
Old 21st December 2009
Sweet! I was thinking about doing something similar just the other day. Good luck!
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

C'mon, scouser, get in the pool.
hehheh
Old 21st December 2009
JES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

All you computer ditchers may simply be ahead of your time. heh heh heh
Given where money is being made in the industry right now, I think this is a very, very likely outcome at the high end, though laptops will hang on longer than desktops, which will eventually become too expensive and too low-margin.

The one thing that might keep it going is the economics of planned obsolescence. Let's say Apple sells a Logic "console" that actually works and is totally reliable. It might be possible that people wouldn't need to upgrade as much. That's bad for business.
Old 21st December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
C'mon, scouser, get in the pool.
hehheh
Ha! If I had enough cash to do it I'd be ding backflips in and shouting abuse at the lifeguard by now.

Maybe in the future.
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Guru

The computer isn't gonna disappear anytime soon, but it will radically change form.

Rather than being something you sit in front of and use for strictly 2 dimensional data manipulation, it is becoming something you project onto the world and that is aware of what you're doing, what you're seeing, and can give you feedback on your environment as well as the ability to manipulate data as physical object (and vice versa).

And it currently costs $350 and the code is open source, thank you MIT!

TED Blog: The Buzz: Pranav Mistry awakens the Sixth Sense

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Great music on myspace dude! :-D

You are great :-D

People like you make me feel terrible to not have finished my own band!

it's time to turn laziness into muscle!
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
The computer isn't gonna disappear anytime soon, but it will radically change form.

Rather than being something you sit in front of and use for strictly 2 dimensional data manipulation, it is becoming something you project onto the world and that is aware of what you're doing, what you're seeing, and can give you feedback on your environment as well as the ability to manipulate data as physical object (and vice versa).

And it currently costs $350 and the code is open source, thank you MIT!

TED Blog: The Buzz: Pranav Mistry awakens the Sixth Sense

Gregory Scott - ubk

Thats some pretty cool stuff. Gotta love the TED network... unrelated to the topic at hand, but also cool is an interview i saw last year about creativity.... You guys might like it...

Elizabeth Gilbert on nurturing creativity | Video on TED.com
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversounds View Post
Great music on myspace dude! :-D

You are great :-D

People like you make me feel terrible to not have finished my own band!

it's time to turn laziness into muscle!
Haha, thank you! Making music is what I did on the weekends in high school while all of my friends were getting wasted. Looking back, I'm glad I found a better use of my time. It's actually taken me somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
Thats some pretty cool stuff. Gotta love the TED network... unrelated to the topic at hand, but also cool is an interview i saw last year about creativity.... You guys might like it...

Elizabeth Gilbert on nurturing creativity | Video on TED.com
Ugh. Every time I go on TED, I end up spending hours watching various things. I'm sure this will be no exception. Such a great website with plenty of things to inspire.
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

That's funny, you don't look Swedish.
hehhehheh
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
hehhehheh
thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
hehhehheh
LOL!

Hey Rein, I've owned six Volvos in my lifetime. Really! thumbsup My dad had two Saabs--a 1961 then a 1968.

Merry Christmas!
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
LOL!

Hey Rein, I've owned six Volvos in my lifetime. Really! thumbsup My dad had two Saabs--a 1961 then a 1968.

Merry Christmas!
Thank you for supporting Volvo! Unfortunately it looks like Saab is going down :(
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for supporting Volvo! Unfortunately it looks like Saab is going down :(
If they could make the engine parts cheaper to get in America, they might not. Seems to be the way things go these days, eh?
Old 24th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hmmm.... maybe if I'd bought a couple more Saabs and a few less Volvos they could've pulled through. heh
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Received a call about the tape machine/mixer today. Alignment was going to be too expensive, so I'm going to do it myself.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Rock On! That's the way, Stay calm, carry on!
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
thumbsup
Hey mate, you look a bit like my childhood buddy, Micke Westemar....lol (Westemar&Krieg) but with more hair....
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Hey mate, you look a bit like my childhood buddy, Micke Westemar....lol (Westemar&Krieg) but with more hair....
Ha ha ha man - It's not me! <3 I found that pic on google.
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ha ha ha man - It's not me! <3 I found that pic on google.
Tur för dig.....lol
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Tur för dig.....lol
haha!
Old 7th January 2010
Here for the gear

god damn this thread is inspirational. you guys amaze me.

i'm a hip hop musician (i guess) but i'm obsessed with analog. i hate where the genre has gone over the last (x) amount of time, it's become annoyingly clean and shiny. obviously the lyrical content of radio hip hop has also headed for the ****ter but we've always had crap like 'tootsee roll' and other hot garbage. there are still a lot of cats making inspired / interesting rap music, it's just a bit harder to find. it's annoying that many people's (younger ones especially) perception of hip hop is this watered down part rap / part trance / part r & b drivel being pumped through the airwaves daily. please don't start me on auto-tune.

anyway enough with the ranting, i'm taking the common approach here and just making music the way i want it to be made. i'm also pretty much entirely avoiding the computer, just using a moderately old sampler which is sort of a bitch to get the hang of. i'm tracking to tape too .. mostly using old junky gear i get at thrift stores and whatnot. the **** is just FUN. more enjoyable than just throwing something into FL Studio or Ableton and having it chop the samples for you. i've always done it this way though.

(sidenote) i don't think anyone here is claiming superiority, just difference. that's why it's kind of frustrating when someone flames this thread. make music how you want ffs.

anyhow prp you are my hero dude. if you ever want get down on a hip hop project let me know.

i hope this thread never dies!
Old 7th January 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstarcrusher View Post
god damn this thread is inspirational. you guys amaze me.

i'm a hip hop musician (i guess) but i'm obsessed with analog. i hate where the genre has gone over the last (x) amount of time, it's become annoyingly clean and shiny. obviously the lyrical content of radio hip hop has also headed for the ****ter but we've always had crap like 'tootsee roll' and other hot garbage. there are still a lot of cats making inspired / interesting rap music, it's just a bit harder to find. it's annoying that many people's (younger ones especially) perception of hip hop is this watered down part rap / part trance / part r & b drivel being pumped through the airwaves daily. please don't start me on auto-tune.

anyway enough with the ranting, i'm taking the common approach here and just making music the way i want it to be made. i'm also pretty much entirely avoiding the computer, just using a moderately old sampler which is sort of a bitch to get the hang of. i'm tracking to tape too .. mostly using old junky gear i get at thrift stores and whatnot. the **** is just FUN. more enjoyable than just throwing something into FL Studio or Ableton and having it chop the samples for you. i've always done it this way though.

(sidenote) i don't think anyone here is claiming superiority, just difference. that's why it's kind of frustrating when someone flames this thread. make music how you want ffs.

anyhow prp you are my hero dude. if you ever want get down on a hip hop project let me know.

i hope this thread never dies!
I agree with you 10000%, but I have to add that the sampler is one of the main problems with rap...you will understand why I feel that way if you are really a hip hop "musician" with "musician" being the key word. I started out in 81 doing rap using an old Ensoniq sampler, but even then I always "RE-played" everything over top of the sample, ****...that’s how I started to learn to play instruments....the only hip hop I like anymore are artists the use a real band. the sampled **** is just lazy IMO.....But hey...who am I , right?
Old 7th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I agree with you 10000%, but I have to add that the sampler is one of the main problems with rap...you will understand why I feel that way if you are really a hip hop "musician" with "musician" being the key word. I started out in 81 doing rap using an old Ensoniq sampler, but even then I always "RE-played" everything over top of the sample, ****...that’s how I started to learn to play instruments....the only hip hop I like anymore are artists the use a real band. the sampled **** is just lazy IMO.....But hey...who am I , right?
Well, I get what your saying, but I think that the classic hip hop with funk and soul samples was a high point in lots of ways - I mean, you had guys rappin over the best breaks by some of the best drummers in the world - it is pretty hard to get the same feeling with a lot of today's luke warm "beats" programmed by someone who has never played a kit in their lives. But seeing as how sampling classic material is now just too expensive, I agree that the producers who use (or are) real players have a big advantage to keeping things in a real groove (not in a groove "template"). I mean, this is what Dre has done many times (sampling grooves from his own studio players), but it is still good to combine the real feel with the programed beats/samples. I am totally down with using tape and whatever other means you got, to keep it real, dirty, and fight the horrible auto-tuned pop ****e, into which most commercial hip hop seems to have descended. Play on!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search