The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent View Post
That kind of silence just doesn't exist in nature, it's creepy.

Spend some time in a cave or tunnel, or in the middle of a snow swept meadow on a windless day. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Spend some time in a cave or tunnel,
Right. I do intend to do that, once I've acquired a loin-cloth and grown my hair a bit longer.

Quote:
or in the middle of a snow swept meadow on a windless day. thumbsup
I'm trying to think where I've never heard the wind. Bit difficult as I have always lived by the sea, and when I haven't been there, I've been in the mountains, which are a bit windy too usually.

Cities, jungle, desert, mountains, beaches. Tried all those and there has always been ambient noise.
I think it would freak me if I experienced in nature the kind of 'air in a vacuum' effect of a double-glazed apartment set back from the road.
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent View Post
Right. I do intend to do that, once I've acquired a loin-cloth and grown my hair a bit longer.

Lol! Now I gotta shake that image from my head.

Seriously though, people with respectable clothing and (sometimes respectable hair) do actually go into caves and tunnels for recreation, research, or maybe just interesting cinema and photography.

Windless days are common in the desert as well, which is another place where things can get reaalllly quiet.

You're right though, it definitely is different on the coasts; ocean water is always moving and that's what gives us the winds you're always hearing.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

I love dead silence, total dead silence. I built a garage studio when I was 13 and it was so dead the musicians complained, if you weren't standing in front of your amp it was too quiet. I used to turn on all the gear, which wasn't much, and wait on everything to warm up and see how quiet I could be. Breathe real slow, not move anything, then you can hear the voice in your head say" dang! It's quiet in here! Kinda creepy, kinda cool, I wonder how long I can be quiet in here?"
Then you hear your self say "shutup". That's when you know, you've gone off the deep end, hahaha.
I still like silence and even my silent inner voice shuts up for it. That's my favorite silence.
I also like LOUD, and sometimes in between.
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Spend some time in a cave or tunnel, or in the middle of a snow swept meadow on a windless day. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk

I spent some time in a gypsum cave in Spain once. Dead silent AND total darkness. OMG, that was creepy. Annoying actually. We're too dependant on external stimulus i guess..

..and since digital has a lower S/N-ratio that would imply, logically, that we strive for silence, just like the cavemen/women experienced?? heh

This must be the stupidest post I've ever written..
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Addict

i need to get my tascam 48 back up and running. it has a few gremlins but with 2 mics i was able to get one of my favorite drum sounds off it. =) maybe i'll pop open the case and take a quick picture just to join the fun.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
I love dead silence, total dead silence. I built a garage studio when I was 13 and it was so dead the musicians complained, if you weren't standing in front of your amp it was too quiet. I used to turn on all the gear, which wasn't much, and wait on everything to warm up and see how quiet I could be. Breathe real slow, not move anything, then you can hear the voice in your head say" dang! It's quiet in here! Kinda creepy, kinda cool, I wonder how long I can be quiet in here?"
Then you hear your self say "shutup". That's when you know, you've gone off the deep end, hahaha.
I still like silence and even my silent inner voice shuts up for it. That's my favorite silence.
I also like LOUD, and sometimes in between.
I like to smoke weed and sit outside on the porch and watch the stars and fall asleep on my living room floor in front of a corny movie.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom View Post
I spent some time in a gypsum cave in Spain once. Dead silent AND total darkness. OMG, that was creepy. Annoying actually. We're too dependant on external stimulus i guess..

..and since digital has a lower S/N-ratio that would imply, logically, that we strive for silence, just like the cavemen/women experienced?? heh

This must be the stupidest post I've ever written..

Not stupid at all... You rock!
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by against88 View Post
i need to get my tascam 48 back up and running. it has a few gremlins but with 2 mics i was able to get one of my favorite drum sounds off it. =) maybe i'll pop open the case and take a quick picture just to join the fun.

Please Mr, Please Mr can I have your hundred dollar bill. Please Mr, Please Mr can I hold your mother's toe. Please Mr, Please Mr please Mr

I urge you to post pictures of you and the 48 in hi5 action...

/No glory no Surrender / Jan Von Damm
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

I love the sound of this recording... So warm but still crystal clear. It's a undefined diamond that deserves the public eye and ear.

Enjoy Analog lovers... Let the music be our judge.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

That made me fall out of my chair!!!hehheh

I'll never get that out of my head now!
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That made me fall out of my chair!!!hehheh

I'll never get that out of my head now!
I know it's awesome heh
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

helpful

thought this might be useful to the analog massive..........

YouTube - How to align a tape machine for reproduction using an MRL

get aligning those tape machines people!!!
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

I compiled a book yeeeeeaaaars ago on running a studio which included the studio manual from Platinum Island which had a wonderful alignment section in it. I put everything in it from mic choices and selection, a little physics, nyquist theorum (you had to maually find the zerocross in those days), outboard, patchbay arrangement, mic pre styles, all kinda weirdness. I can send the Ooh, wait, I can scan the sections, I should do that, scan the whole thing and make it digital.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Cool guys! Thanks Drezzzzz for the link! I'm going to check it out after my yoga practices.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I compiled a book yeeeeeaaaars ago on running a studio which included the studio manual from Platinum Island which had a wonderful alignment section in it. I put everything in it from mic choices and selection, a little physics, nyquist theorum (you had to maually find the zerocross in those days), outboard, patchbay arrangement, mic pre styles, all kinda weirdness. I can send the Ooh, wait, I can scan the sections, I should do that, scan the whole thing and make it digital.
Brother! Scan... hehthumbsup
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

nice one memphis.........

top one bro!!!........
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
thought this might be useful to the analog massive..........

YouTube - How to align a tape machine for reproduction using an MRL

get aligning those tape machines people!!!
Enjoyed that link!
Old 18th December 2009
Something arrived in the mail today...

My last tape machine was an Otari MX-5050, this should be a nice step up... Not sure if I need to get a 1/4" unit to mix down too, or if I can just mix directly to my Nagra VI for the final deliverable.

Old 19th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

My last tape machine was an Otari MX-5050, this should be a nice step up... Not sure if I need to get a 1/4" unit to mix down to, or if I can just mix directly to my Nagra VI for the final deliverable.

Looks very sweet... congrats!

Is that a Revox 1/2" 8-track?
Don't think I've seen that before.

The Otari 1/2" 8-track MX-5050 Mark IV's are very nice also.

Does it have XLR ins and out on the back?
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Nice!
Old 19th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
Looks very sweet... congrats!

Is that a Revox 1/2" 8-track?
Don't think I've seen that before.

The Otari 1/2" 8-track MX-5050 Mark IV's are very nice also.

Does it have XLR ins and out on the back?
yep, C-278 1/2" 8 track. XLR I/O on the top / back. Should sound pretty sweet once I get it setup. Thinking of going the ATR route. Unit is set for NAB equalization and can do 7.5 or 15 ips.
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

My last tape machine was an Otari MX-5050, this should be a nice step up... Not sure if I need to get a 1/4" unit to mix down to, or if I can just mix directly to my Nagra VI for the final deliverable.

Very cool
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
yep, C-278 1/2" 8 track. XLR I/O on the top / back. Should sound pretty sweet once I get it setup. Thinking of going the ATR route. Unit is set for NAB equalization and can do 7.5 or 15 ips.
Way cool. It's a Mini-Studer!
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

Bastard! I love the sound of revox machines, they're like studer's slightly troubled, sex-and-drugs-experimenting little brother.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Bastard! I love the sound of revox machines, they're like studer's slightly troubled, sex-and-drugs-experimenting little brother.

Gregory Scott - ubk
And I thought the splicing block was for editing tape...
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

It looks very sexy - wow!

Now I found the answer to all our questions concerning, aligning tape and setting up a studio around a tape machine etc...

Watch this beautiful movie about analog tape and why we should adore it like Billy Corgan once said; Love is a flower and life is a hummingbird. No matter where you turn there will always be light. And if you embrace the light you will find love. And if you find love you will understand.

Anyways, this movie is in Swedish and I think it helps all of us to commit earlier in the process when recording to tape. You don't hit the tape too hard. But you can hit it hard sometimes if you want. But not on a regular basis. /

Now watch the movie;
YouTube - How to maintain a tape machine
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post

Now I found the answer to all our questions concerning, aligning tape and setting up a studio around a tape machine etc...

Watch this beautiful movie about analog tape and why we should adore it like Billy Corgan once said; Love is a flower and life is a hummingbird. No matter where you turn there will always be light. And if you embrace the light you will find love. And if you find love you will understand.

Anyways, this movie is in Swedish and I think it helps all of us to commit earlier in the process when recording to tape. You don't hit the tape too hard. But you can hit it hard sometimes if you want. But not on a regular basis. /

Now watch the movie;

Actually......I used to LOVE hitting the tape hard, especially with drums. Brings out some 'attitude'!
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post

Now watch the movie;
That was very Alan Partridge......lol

Lite småtöntigt men jag gillar brillorna! heh
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
That was very Alan Partridge......lol

Lite småtöntigt men jag gillar brillorna! heh
Ha are you Swedish?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search