The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp audio View Post
I do believe that the item in the circle would be an impedance roller!

Dan, did you check on rack ears? I saw some on eBay, $80ish plus s&h.
I forgot to look for them, and can't find any one eBay. Was it a single auction that already ended??
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I didn't pay attention to the specific auction, just noticed a pair listed when I had searched using "Tascam 38". They are gone now. Some more will come around, and I bet Teac/Tascam still sells them directly.

I have to take my 38 back out of the rack that I just mounted it in so that I can remove the front cover to work on it, figures ... Still waiting for parts ordered 3 days ago. I'm going to lube the FF and REW motors while I'm in there.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Amazing. It's funny, just the cost of VU meters in that room would fetch about 2 Grand if you had to buy them new today!

@greatgreatriver - you did a good job on your tape-machine shrine
Attached Thumbnails
I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer.-attachment.php-attachmentid-147918-d-1260570206.jpg  
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
I just bought 2 here:

Audio Tape Take Up Reels, Flanges, and Hardware

Along with two reels of ATR mastering tape.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help. User carllock sent me original manuals and schematics for the mixer, which arrived today. I've been reading up on it. The schematics are going to come in especially handy if I ever try to mod the console.

Also, user Mike O is sending me the original, matching RCA patchbay that went alongside this thing from back before I was born.

It truly is a team effort and I intend on keeping everyone up to date. Perhaps a little too up to date.
Actually take-up reels are quite common on ebay and an inexpensive alternative to U.S. Recording. For example:
3 SCOTCH 10-1/2" METAL1/2" TAKE-UP REELS 4 REEL TO REEL - eBay (item 300375835892 end time Dec-13-09 19:15:52 PST)
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

I totally understand your quest. I've been digging this thread big time!!

As a designer/art director, I've been working on a Mac since 1987. Layouts, PhotoShop, Web, etc. day in--day out--endless hours in front of a screen.

When I decided to record I wanted to get far away from the computer and just use my ears. Not edit and squeeze levels by eye like I've been doing forever with design/imaging. Just my ears--no eyes. I wanted to tap into the Albini vibe. (And it's a hobby--I don't have to be production oriented or create product).

I super-lucked out and got a 2" 24-track MX-80 with remote/locator for $999 on ebay in great condition to boot! (Local pick up--so I got to test drive and run audio through it, etc.) I scored the best 2" deal I've seen on ebay to this day. Thank you, analog gods!

FWIW - hit the tape with your nice pres--the Chandler, Gamma, etc. Especially on vox, gtr, snare, kick. Use the Tascam or Peavy for maybe toms, hat, etc.

I only have 6 channels of good pres--a Pacifica and a Sytek MP-4Aii. My 414 B-ULS through the Pacifica to tape is killer on vox. (I noticed your 414 in a pic.) For more "vibe" use a -20db pad, crank the gain and slam the tape.

I monitor/mix tape outs to a 1604 VLZ for now (I know ) until I can get a Toft or an old Soundcraft, whatever. I try to avoid tracking through it.

I know you're looking at getting an 1176. Consider the 2-1176. I got one on ebay ($1900--almost new) which is really handy for linked stereo or dual channel comping. Yeah, I know it's not a rev D or E blackface--but it does a very comparable job. Sometimes I track my kick and snare with it or just wait till mix. Great on vox too.

I'm still a neophyte but I'm loving tape and I think you'll be very happy. Use your good pres for tracking and the mixer for, well... um, mixing.

BTW - your music is great--you'll do really well. With your new analog rig, think old Todd Rundgren--A Wizard, A True Star; Something/Anything? He performed, tracked and mixed the majority of tracks himself. I can see some similarities/spirit in your work to his.

BTW - a killer resource for all things tape:
Analog Rules!!! Pro-Audio Parts and Service

I hope everything was fixed okay. Let's hear some tracks!! Best!!
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent View Post
Amazing. It's funny, just the cost of VU meters in that room would fetch about 2 Grand if you had to buy them new today!

@greatgreatriver - you did a good job on your tape-machine shrine

Thanks bro
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

It's the "In the court Of the Crimson King" by King Crimson that make my mouth water for analog tape. Gosh, that sound gives me butterflies.

Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
It's the "In the court Of the Crimson King" by King Crimson that make my mouth water for analog tape. Gosh, that sound gives me butterflies.

Go and buy a Tascam and take pictures! Join the analog club of love and honey!
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm still lurking around here, still great thread, nice pics, supercool.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Damn it's such a cool feeling to put on the tape and press play. I'm sitting here and listening to my friends drum recording.

My 38 is optimized for Quantegy 456 but they are out of business so I'm wondering if there are other tape brands that will work without having to redo the whole optimizing thing again... I just want to record and be happy.

Let me know! Thx.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Damn it's such a cool feeling to put on the tape and press play. I'm sitting here and listening to my friends drum recording.

My 38 is optimized for Quantegy 456 but they are out of business so I'm wondering if there are other tape brands that will work without having to redo the whole optimizing thing again... I just want to record and be happy.

Let me know! Thx.
Found this>>

Tape Comparison Chart
RMGI Tape Equivalency to Quantegy
Quantegy 456 - RMGI SM911
Quantegy 457 - RMGI LPR35
Quantegy 499 - RMGI SM900
Quantegy GP9 - RMGI SM900
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

you can get new tape from RMGI (www.rmgi-usa.com)..........

The tape formulations are based on the EMI/EMTEC formulations (reputedly the best)..........are are equatable to older formulations such as 456 etc....check specs on website for details..........

Two more photos of the lovely studers in my studio, purely for the sluttiness factor (no apologies!)...............I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer.-2-studers.jpg

I'm finally doing it. I'm getting rid of my computer.-mixer-studers.jpg

Last edited by drezz; 12th December 2009 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
you can get new tape from RMGI (www.rmgi-usa.com)..........

The tape formulations are based on the EMI/EMTEC formulations (reputedly the best)..........are are equatable to older formulations such as 456 etc....check specs on website for details..........

Two more photos of the lovely studers in my studio, purely for the sluttiness factor (no apologies!)...............Attachment 147998

Attachment 147999
Oh la la la!

Thanks Drezz!

I'm in Europe / Thomann sells RMGI.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

hey greatgreatriver,

are you a karate kid fan? i've seen that avatar you have around gearslutz from time to time and i always thought there was something very WRONG about it!!! Can you see where i'm going with that? perhaps it's just my twisted mind!!! (tongue firmly in cheek!!!)
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
hey greatgreatriver,

are you a karate kid fan? i've seen that avatar you have around gearslutz from time to time and i always thought there was something very WRONG about it!!! Can you see where i'm going with that? perhaps it's just my twisted mind!!! (tongue firmly in cheek!!!)
Ha ha!

Yeah Karate Kid inspired me to wear Levis 501 and tank top. Every Sunday I went up early to run to our local 7 eleven. I pickup up my guitar and I started to sing loud and proud. I was so high on music those days that I could ramble on like a crazy version of Bob Dylan.
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post

Ha! You can hear all the hiss and saturation on that LP! Especially of the quiet passages on Moonchild and Epitaph.

Ahh. The days of strobe lights and weed in my basement when we were kids.
I had a black-light poster of the cover art on my ceiling right above the chair where I sat and listened to the "stereo."
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

So, here is the first official recording I've done on tape. It was recorded on the TEAC A-4300SX 1/4" 4 track machine at 7.5 ips. It hasn't been calibrated yet, so the playback levels on the L/R are inconsistent.

For the microphone setup, I used 2 SM57s in an improper stereo configuration. I tried having them set up a few ways, but all of them were too wide and lost the center image (mainly the vocal). 1 57 was running into an Avedis MA5, the other through a Five Fish SAC500. They were also running through a stereo linked pair of DBX 163x's, doing 2-4 db of gain reduction.

The vocal was too dry on its own, so I devised a little setup where I had a Shure bullet mic set up near my mouth. I ran it into a Fender Super Reverb's spring reverb with some of the highs rolled off and a touch of tremolo. The spring reverb was set below the 57s.

Also, the acoustic guitar was strummed with my fingers, so it's very dark to begin with. That's why it's a bit woofy. It was just too loud with a pick.

The file is attached to this post. Something felt so wrong about running the tape into the computer and then making an MP3 out of it . In the box, I cut 2 db around 130 hz, and rolled off the highs above 14k.

Another funny thing: the tuner I used to tune my acoustic (Taylor 614ce, if anyone is wondering) is significantly more advanced than the tape machine I recorded with. Crazy how far technology has come.

The song is the short little outro from my album Texas. (Ingrid Michaelson did a duet with me on the album version)
Attached Files

Texas Tape Test.mp3 (1.54 MB, 358 views)

Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

sounds nice..............warm and simple, but effective. good one..........heh
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Part from 0.48 to finish is very Elliot Smith!

Your voice is almost like half male/half female, and I don't mean that in any bad way at all, it's really nice. That sudden left to right shift near the beginning startled me! (on headphones here).

The reverb suited the mood, noise a bit too high but makes you realise how much you appreciate it when it's there. Would have been nice to have kept some more of the highs from the guitar but I guess hard to do when like you say there was no pick and s/n ratio was high.

Anyway, I know you weren't looking for a critique, but looking forward to hearing it when it's all configured properly and the tascam is in the loop
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

this is such a great thread.............heh

gearslutz at it's best...........

thanks to all the folks on this thread...............good vibes!!!
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Part from 0.48 to finish is very Elliot Smith!

Your voice is almost like half male/half female, and I don't mean that in any bad way at all, it's really nice. That sudden left to right shift near the beginning startled me! (on headphones here).

The reverb suited the mood, noise a bit too high but makes you realise how much you appreciate it when it's there. Would have been nice to have kept some more of the highs from the guitar but I guess hard to do when like you say there was no pick and s/n ratio was high.

Anyway, I know you weren't looking for a critique, but looking forward to hearing it when it's all configured properly and the tascam is in the loop
I'm always down for well-formed opinions, which yours is! So thanks for the pointers. And sounding like a girl isn't a bad thing. I actually have people comment on my talking vs. singing voice all the time. I have an average male speaking voice, but for some reason after puberty I never lost the ability to hit the higher notes that I learned to hit in church choir at age 10.

Yes, I'm not sure what was happening with the L/R balance. Something is going on in the tape machine. I had to compensate in Logic by about 5 db, and even then it still shifted a little on its own. I won't know the exact going-ons until I get into calibrating it, which I still need to read about.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Art-ifacts man! It's all 'bout art-ifacts!

This song is beautiful. I love the hiss and everything. The spring reverb sounds surprisingly good! I got to try that next time I record...

Thanks for sharing this with us! Super deluxe thread!
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Art-ifacts man! It's all 'bout art-ifacts!

This song is beautiful. I love the hiss and everything. The spring reverb sounds surprisingly good! I got to try that next time I record...

Thanks for sharing this with us! Super deluxe thread!
Yes I'm very happy with the spring reverb results as well. It was a total "how-the-hell-do-I-do-this" type situation that turned out a cool/weird result. I reamp vocals through my Super Reverb all the time, but this is the first time I've performed a vocal with the amp sitting next to me for a real-time mix.

I was actually thinking about running the Bullet into a volume pedal first so I could do real-time vocal reverb automation while singing and playing guitar. Next time, perhaps.
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Addict

Turned out sweet. Real nice vibe--lovely tune.

There's something to be said said about the art-ifacts as greatgreatriver points out.
There's some weird organic quality to them.

Maybe this is evolution taking place before our eyes--or I should say--ears. Where analog now seems organic to us compared to digital. The return to the earth's womb.

Okay. Maybe I crossed the line on that one.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
Turned out sweet. Real nice vibe--lovely tune.

There's something to be said said about the art-ifacts as greatgreatriver points out.
There's some weird organic quality to them.

Maybe this is evolution taking place before our eyes--or I should say--ears. Where analog now seems organic to us compared to digital. The return to the earth's womb.

Okay. Maybe I crossed the line on that one.
Haha you're starting to sound like greatriver!

It's funny, because even before I knew what the 'analog' sound was (when I was 15/16), I used to regularly record vocals with my A/C running because 1. I didn't know any better, but also 2. it just sounded more organic to me. Sterile, perfectly-tuned, tightly edited vocals sound weird to me for my kind of music.
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Addict

More seriously, my theory is that kind of dead silent sterility doesn't--for the most part--exist in nature. A little noise, artifacts--whatever--keep us feeling a little more grounded. It's more familiar to our daily experience which, typically, is comforting.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Friend of mine has an apartment in a quiet neighbourhood, double-glazed windows, and rarely has music playing or tv on when I go round there, I hate it.
I have to walk round turning things on so there is noise.

That kind of silence just doesn't exist in nature, it's creepy.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
Haha you're starting to sound like greatriver!

It's funny, because even before I knew what the 'analog' sound was (when I was 15/16), I used to regularly record vocals with my A/C running because 1. I didn't know any better, but also 2. it just sounded more organic to me. Sterile, perfectly-tuned, tightly edited vocals sound weird to me for my kind of music.
HAHAHA damn this is so powerful and funny! You kept the A/C running to add more glue to the mix... I love that!
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Friend of mine has an apartment in a quiet neighbourhood, double-glazed windows, and rarely has music playing or tv on when I go round there, I hate it.
I have to walk round turning things on so there is noise.

That kind of silence just doesn't exist in nature, it's creepy.

I love the silence but it's never really silent. You can always here the highway and factory noise etc. If all noise would stop it wouldn't be silent because you would hear the plants grow and the birds sing... I guess you don't get the same silence in a house with double glassed windows, ha! It makes sense...

He wanted to hear the plants grow again! He went by shore and found himself stranded in a female bush. /Donald Duck IV 1932.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yea, that dead silence thing is sorta creepy, I can't get to sleep at night unless the fan is on gently and I'll put a movie on realy low volume to fall asleep to....VHS.heh

Yea, I agree about the back groud noise having a grounding affect, it is calming.

As for the recording, it sounds great. With just the acoustic and vocal, yea you can hear this hiss, but with bass and drums and other layers later, it'll be the nice warm cozy feeling that makes us want tape, probablly feel it more than hear it later. Part of the equation.

I think the right channel is a bit louder like you were saying of the embalance, that's how I hear it through headphones.

Oh yea, big fan here too of vocals through an amp, it's a nice way to add some circuitry to the voice and it's fun to move the mic around to try and drop the vocal in the mix with a room sound. coolness.

this is exciting!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search