The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can S/PDIF signals be combined?
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

Can S/PDIF signals be combined?

I am considering two SSL Alpha Channel Strips. They can output digital signals via S/PDIF. My DIGI003 only has one set of S/PDIF ports. Is it possible to "sum" two pairs of S/PDIF signals and feed them into the DIGI003?
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

I have just read the SSL documentation. It appears that two units can be linked together via S/PDIF. I have sent SSL an email requesting clarification on the clocking and summing aspects of linking two units. I will post their reply.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

In regards to your original summing S/PDIF signals, the answer is no. A digital signal cannot simply be combined with another digital signal in the same way an analog signal can. This has to do with the structure of the signal that is being transferred. Electrical currents can be summed together without causing problems because they cover a continuous range of electrical voltages.

Digital signals are binary in nature and usually only cover two voltages when transferred via wire. Binary math is not able to be summed without some sort of processing. This may be what is happening if it is possible to chain the devices you are using together.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear