The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend good recordings of the Nashville Sound
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Recommend good recordings of the Nashville Sound

What are the well recorded albums that have the Nashville Sound? Talking about fold, country pop. Recommendation from different time periods would be appreciated. I never really listened to this type of music and I would like some references for mixing, listening to good playing, etc.

Thanks
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

All Owen Bradley-produced Patsy Cline records are definitive records. Some vintage George Jones or Tammy Wynette will get you the classic Billy Sherrill vibe.

Jimmy Bowen in the '80's with Suzzy Boggus' "Aces" and George Straits "Chill Of An Early Fall". Also check out James Stroud's productions from that era.

Emory Gordy, Jr and Richard Bennett made some great records in the 80's and 90's with Patty Loveless, Kim Ritchie, Marty Stuart and EmmyLou Harris.

All the Brent Maher tracks with The Judds are essential.

Buddy (and Julie) Miller's lo-fi, hi-soul vibe in the past 10 years is cool.

That's a very brief overview a a decade or two.

My favorite Nashville record ever is "Raising Sand" by Plant and Krauss, but I'm pretty sure that's an outlier!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks, I will give a listen to all of these, this list is very much appreciated.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear