The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Great mic combos for guitar
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Great mic combos for guitar

I just started micing up my amps with the 57/421 combo, and must say it adds that extra dimension to guitars sounds that I've been missing. I've stopped EQing my guitar tracks and blending the mics instead So, in the interest of trying out other combos, name your favorite dual mic setup. Keep the mics under $500 if possible.... I know that the 57/121 will be mentioned, so how about others?
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

e609 with an MXL V67g.

Great tone. Never reach for EQ.

Only using my studio's 2x12 combos though:

Ampeg, Line 6 Spider, Vox AC30.

Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
I just started micing up my amps with the 57/421 combo,
I do the same but also add a 414 about 2 feet back, center of the cabinet.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaqu View Post
I do the same but also add a 414 about 2 feet back, center of the cabinet.
So all three tracks panned to one side? For two feet back it would seem you would have phase issues.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict
Quote:
So all three tracks panned to one side?
Blended for a single track.

Quote:
For two feet back it would seem you would have phase issues.
57 3" from speaker, roughly dead center on speaker, aimed at the edge of cone (off axis of dead center), 421 3" from speaker,dead center aimed at the dust cover (different speaker). 414 2' back aimed in the center of the cabinet. No phase issues that I heard.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaqu View Post
Blended for a single track.

57 3" from speaker, roughly dead center on speaker, aimed at the edge of cone (off axis of dead center), 421 3" from speaker,dead center aimed at the dust cover (different speaker). 414 2' back aimed in the center of the cabinet. No phase issues that I heard.
So does the 414 give you enough air to the sound from only 2 feet back? How much do you blend that track into the single track?
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict
Quote:
So does the 414 give you enough air to the sound from only 2 feet back?
I think it does. I mean 2 ' is a good starting point for me ( its not like I pulled out the tape and measured it). I tried it further back and it kinda started getting ,...roomy? You never know though, might be something you like.

Quote:
How much do you blend that track into the single track?
Depends on the tune. Sometimes more,sometimes less, sometimes none at all, but I still have it if I need it..
I might be helping a friend of mine do some guitar tracks on Monday. If I can remember, Ill try to get some clips.
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
I just started micing up my amps with the 57/421 combo, and must say it adds that extra dimension to guitars sounds that I've been missing. I've stopped EQing my guitar tracks and blending the mics instead So, in the interest of trying out other combos, name your favorite dual mic setup. Keep the mics under $500 if possible.... I know that the 57/121 will be mentioned, so how about others?
IMO for good rock guitars you got the mack daddy, I'm not a big fan or room, condenser or ribbon mics for guitar amps. 57/421, neve/api...done!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

AC/DC - Rock'n Roll Train Guitar recording

"The guitars were SM57s and 421s on each cabinet, and I blended them to one channel for Malcolm and one channel for Angus. As with the bass, I'd vary the blend as appropriate for the song — sometimes a bit more 57, sometimes a bit more 421, depending. There was no EQ at all. If we needed to change the sound, we did so at the amplifier, or I would reposition the mics slightly. I didn't use any effects or compressors whilst recording the guitars, they were as straight as I could make them. For Angus's solo guitar I added an AKG C414 as a room mic. I don't like digital reverbs on the guitar, so prefer the option of a room mic. I used it in most songs, including 'Rock 'n Roll Train'."

Mike Fraser

Source: SoS
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
IMO for good rock guitars you got the mack daddy, I'm not a big fan or room, condenser or ribbon mics for guitar amps. 57/421, neve/api...done!
Always a stellar combo. I also like a 57/Heil PR30 combo. Different midrange on the PR30, and it's really pleasing to my ears.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

An unusual combo is a Beyer M69TG with a Uher M538.

The M69 has an incredible low and low-mid range : full but not muddy, and a very precise hi-mid around 3-5k without any harshness. BIG SOUND.
The M538 has a beautiful mid-range, lower than the M69 (around 1-2k) so it can be blend to it perfectly. Very rich and full sound, with lots of harmonics !!!

The Uher mic is from the 70's, it's is VERY an unhestimate mic. That's why it's a cheap mic (around 70€ on e-bay), but it's a hi quality German mic. Very solid metal body, good construction... Just look for one, you won't be disappointed.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

A couple weeks ago I would have said either...
Blue Ball/57 or Blue Ball/421

Or maybe EH Ribbon/57, EH Ribbon/Blue Ball
maybe a U87 in the room...

but I always keep coming back to the tried and true old 421/57 combo!
Still love the Blue Balls too though and will never stop using them.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

OK, now that we have concluded the 57/421 combo is just fine, now I need a 2nd mic pre. I'm using a UA M610 for one mic, but a focusrite Green 5 for the other mic, and that's too flat/clean with no vibe (nice EQ though!). What's a good preamp to pair up with the M610? Something different but complimentary...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I've been using a Coles 4038 3 feet away from the cabinet pointed where the speakers converge, and a Beyer M-201 right on the grill dead-on to the speaker. The amount of warmth is stupid! BTW, tracked through a Great River to tape.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

D1000

I recently acquired an AKG D1000 mic, anybody ever hear of these? Google doesn't turn up much on them, and I know they're pretty old. Mine is so old, when removing the grill to inspect its innards, all of the foam 'wind filter' material disintegrated and blew away. yikes.

I used it on a guitar cab along side a 421 and an AEA R92. It sounds better than both, and I'm not using either of the other mic tracks! kind of like an SM57 with a little more 'bite' to it. might sound good paired with something a bit more warm, but all I really am blending with it right now is a 414 at about 15 feet.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

421 center/ 57 off axis 45 degrees on the speakers edge. mix to taste with maybe a 414 or R84 for room mic.
Old 23rd November 2009
500 series nutjob

the emphasis 57 is a no brainer and a must have.
next i will always have a EV RE-15 or RE-16 in the mix, another must have.
Audix should in no way be over looked, i am a very big fan of their OM-2.
the BLUE DRAGONFLY hits a home run when pulling cab duty.
depending on the vibe, an onslaught of condensers and dynamic, including ribbons can really kick on cabs.
for the most part i tend to lean to the dynamic mics for amp cabs.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

57/fathead... 57/421.... 57/at4050....57/57...
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

I have been diggin an e609 with a PR 30. I actually like the e609 more than a 57. It sounds more ballsy and aggressive to my ears. e609 just off centre, about 2-3" back, off axis, PR 30 off centre on axis in line with the 609. You get your fat bass and smooth mids from the PR 30, and then all that ballsy, aggressive mid range from the 609. Works for me for now.

I tried messing around with a Beyer m101 as well. I like the sound of that mic on its own though.
Old 23rd November 2009
Dare I say I dig the Audix i5 better than a 57 on cabs?

To me, the i5 is like the 57's slightly better looking twin; a little heavier and more detailed.

So like, i5 and Audiopile 300C each on their own speaker. Rhythm tracks are almost all i5, leads have the bright condenser mixed in. Hold on, I think my monitors just morphed into celestion 70's...
Old 23rd November 2009
for me up close it's a Beyer M88 and a 421, the beyer is smooth and warm the 421 is the brighter mic, usually into an API 3124mb and a tube tech cl1b, sometimes if want room mics it will be either a U87 or 414TLII
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecorwin View Post
I've been using a Coles 4038 3 feet away from the cabinet pointed where the speakers converge, and a Beyer M-201 right on the grill dead-on to the speaker.
I'm also really digging the Coles 4038 at the moment. After various unsatisfying attempts to get a half-driven chord crunch sound for some tracks through my usual amps in the live room I set up my Blues Jr. right besides me in the control room with modest volume and miked it with the 4038.....done! Such a great sound, I really think that I will use smaller amps much more often in the future.....
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Head
Here using this:
rnr guitars
bassman 59
441-ua 2108 agressive sound ala api...
M160-Neve 1272 warm and phat...
Or for clean sounds(prefereably silverface twin reverb)
421-Ua 2108
414-Neve 1272
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Addict

Two different ribbons instead of one.I`ve never heard any better combination than SE ribbon and Royer 121 but i must say honestly i haven`t tried ribbon and U87 or U47.I hate Sm57 , i cannot understand how anybody can stand this limited , boxy , unnatural limited sound vs good ribbon microphone.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:

any beyer 201 or ribbon 160 or similar the new shure ribbons are real smooth on gtrs but 2k?. modded 57's are cool swap the transformer
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

my favorites recently have been an sm7b and a cascade fathead blended. both fed into chameleon labs pres and dbx comps.

i have used and like:

sm57
i5
apex 460
v67
e609
c1000s

all depends on the track/tone, but the sm7b and fathead are by in large my faves.
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Addict

Like it for Jazz guitar:

421 / TLM170

Other than that 57/414 for the heavier stuff.
Old 3rd December 2009
Jai guru deva om

Give a small diaphragm condenser a shot, a few feet back. The low end response is balls-y...delivers the oomph.

Still, 99% of the time I use one mic...no phase issues etc.

War
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

I used to use the 421/ 57 combo but now I prefer a single mic using the MD 441. I like the 441 much better than the 421. I'll sometimes use a dragonfly set back a little to add some ambiance. But the 441 is the perfect guitar mic IMO. I can't make a guitar sound bad through it.
Old 4th December 2009
Here for the gear

The 421/57 combo is good and quite adaptable (you just have to play with the positionings to hit a sweet spot, then play with the blend) but after much experimentation I've recently settled with 57/ribbon (I've been using a Sigma) or 57/414(with pad!) for hotter amps. The thing that's changed my approach the most though has been the Radial JDX amp di. I know this is a post about mics but I think it's relevant to bring the JDX up. When combined with a 57/ribbon/414 (or anything else for that matter) it just gives you a whole extra set of possibilities. I'd say it's worth checking out especially as it doesn't cost any more than a good dynamic.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear