The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portico 5043 or UBK Fatso Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Portico 5043 or UBK Fatso

So, simple enough question, if you had to choose between one or the other, which would it be? ...and why?

Portico 5043

- or -

KuSh UBK Fatso

Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

some clips of the 5043 here on page 4
Test Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5043 Compresseur/Limiteur 2 Canaux : Quand c'est trop c'est Portico - Audiofanzine

the 5043 is VCA
i guess the Fatso is FET ?

i guess both are excellent units. can't help. maybe the UBK is more versatile ?

or maybe you should buy high end converters before buying a high end compressor
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
Test Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5043 Compresseur/Limiteur 2 Canaux : Quand c'est trop c'est Portico - Audiofanzine

the 5043 is VCA

I have the 5043 and fine it not as colored as I would like. The UBK seems more the sound I'm after, and is supposed to be killer for bass tracking and such. I have the chance to trade in the 5043 towards a new UBK, so this is what prompted the question. I'm hoping someone who has experience with both units might chime in with their opinions(s).

Thanks!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
I have the 5043 and fine it not as colored as I would like. The UBK seems more the sound I'm after, and is supposed to be killer for bass tracking and such. I have the chance to trade in the 5043 towards a new UBK, so this is what prompted the question. I'm hoping someone who has experience with both units might chime in with their opinions(s).

Thanks!
If you have a chance to trade the Portico, I say run don't walk before they have no value at all. It's only a matter of time before you'll have a nice bookend.

Go with the UBK, and do it before who ever is going to accept the trade comes to their senses.

Best of Luck
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfront2K View Post
If you have a chance to trade the Portico, I say run don't walk before they have no value at all. It's only a matter of time before you'll have a nice bookend.

Go with the UBK, and do it before who ever is going to accept the trade comes to their senses.

Best of Luck
Do you just not like them or are they designed to self-destruct after 5 years?

Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Just a gentle bump on this to get some more opinions.

Danke!
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

I have a 5043 and use it as a mix buss compressor, i would recommend it, but i havent used a fatso.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do you just not like them or are they designed to self-destruct after 5 years?

LoL

Good question.

Both
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

i've got both and like them both. the portico is more subtle but really adds deepening with the transformers and subtle gain reduction in FB mode. it adds sort of a biggerness to the mix buss.

it can be sweet for tracking in FF mode too.

it takes some time to apprieciate but it's a really classy comp. SMOOOOTH.

the UBK is more like a distressor sort of - i mean that in that it's very versatile and can be totally extreme compression (if you use it that way). this is a great tool and combined with the rounding tape like qualities it imparts - a fantastic box for more noticeable GR.

i love em both but probably if i could only have 1 - i would keep the UBK as it covers more ground.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc View Post
i've got both and like them both. the portico is more subtle but really adds deepening with the transformers and subtle gain reduction in FB mode. it adds sort of a biggerness to the mix buss.

it can be sweet for tracking in FF mode too.

it takes some time to apprieciate but it's a really classy comp. SMOOOOTH.

the UBK is more like a distressor sort of - i mean that in that it's very versatile and can be totally extreme compression (if you use it that way). this is a great tool and combined with the rounding tape like qualities it imparts - a fantastic box for more noticeable GR.

i love em both but probably if i could only have 1 - i would keep the UBK as it covers more ground.
I would have to say that your post has pretty much summed up what I have read online regarding these two comps. Most of what I do tends to be more aggressive, so whatever richness the 5043 imparts tends to get lost in translation. It's nice, but between the UBK and 5043, I've decided to go with the UBK ....with the option of getting the 5043 back if the UBK doesn't impress me. However, I would probably try an API 2500 before getting the 5043 back!

Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

After the huge initial enthusiasm about the UBK and millions of posts gushing about it it seems that during the last couple of months there haven't been too much talk about it.

What's going on? I'm planning to send my fatso to be modded any time now...
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post
After the huge initial enthusiasm about the UBK and millions of posts gushing about it it seems that during the last couple of months there haven't been too much talk about it.

Well, if the backorder status is any indication, I'd say that they are pretty dang popular!

I be if you start a new thread with your question you'd get a better response.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Guru

My guess is there's only so many raving, gushing, incredibly positive things you can say about something, and only so long you can keep on saying them, before you gotta shut the hell up and make some music with the thing!

And this may be semantics, but there isn't technically a 'backorder' situation, UBK Fatso's are built to order, one at a time. You can't build them on an assembly line, it's a mod.

So you receive a batch from ELI (or one from person modding their older Fatso), you unbox one, you take it apart, you sit there hunched over it on the workbench with a soldering iron and wrench and spare screws, you do your thing, you put it back together, you let it burn in, you test it and q.c the cosmetics, you re-box it, you create a shipping label for it, you drive it to the ups drop spot, you return home.

At that point, you've officially done one unit. Lather, rinse, repeat. I've tried to get ahead of the curve, but every time I order extra units to create stock, they're sold before I even receive them ELI. This product is moving, shall we say, ah, 'briskly'.

I have not received or read one single negative piece of feedback or commentary yet. Not one, and people here are *not* shy about bitching when they don't like something!

Join us. You will not regret it, not for a second.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

......I have not received or read one single negative piece of feedback or commentary yet. Not one, and people here are *not* shy about bitching when they don't like something!

Gregory Scott - ubk
I'm a newbie when it comes to this, but your product is the only one where I could actually hear it working on the demos you made. Most products that are considered to be very good don't have as good demos as yours IMHO. I do try and listen to product demos online and you have most beat by a mile. People know what they're getting.thumbsup
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post

the 5043 is VCA

Wow! Those samples sound pretty sweet.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
And this may be semantics, but there isn't technically a 'backorder' situation, UBK Fatso's are built to order, one at a time. You can't build them on an assembly line, it's a mod.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Hi Gregg,

Fair enough, however, "backordered" is the term the dealer I'm working through used when I was asking about the ETA for a single unit. You can PM me if you'd like to get the details.

Regardless, I'm pretty stoked to get the UBK and give it a shot!

Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post

Too busy using it! Makes it more fun to mix than the tools i had previously. I gushed a lot and i would continue to if there was more to say but i've summed it up previously.. : )
Old 23rd November 2009
UBK Fatso. BIG sound, easy, versatile and fast ( as in fast getting results ) . Now back to work! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
Too busy using it! Makes it more fun to mix than the tools i had previously. I gushed a lot and i would continue to if there was more to say but i've summed it up previously.. : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
UBK Fatso. BIG sound, easy, versatile and fast ( as in fast getting results ) . Now back to work! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Great to hear! I feel better about taking the plunge already!

Old 18th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Update:

Well, I had to forgo the purchase of the UBK for the time being due to several factors that are out of my control ...so, I decided to fire up the 5043 and see if I could make it work since I was stuck with it and all, or see if I needed to truck it down to the local GC or CL and see how much I could get for it outside a trade-in deal.

Long story short: Whoever said that working with the release times on this thing is the key to getting good sounds out of it, hit the nail on the head! After monkeying around with it for a while with my ears rather than my eyes, I was finally able to get that 3-D quality that I was after. Since then, I've been able to really dig into it more and I'm glad now that reality forced me into keeping this unit, as it suits my needs perfectly!

Old 18th December 2009
Gear Addict

i am curious what you are now doing differently with the release times. since i use mine primarily on the mix - i have generally favored the fastest release setting.

how are you using it?
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc View Post
i am curious what you are now doing differently with the release times. since i use mine primarily on the mix - i have generally favored the fastest release setting.

how are you using it?
If memory serves me correctly, as I'm not at the DAW right now, for the acoustic-rock tune I'm working on now I think I have it set between 12:00-1:00 to minimize pumping. I'm not using it to compress so much as to "color" the sound, so I have the ratio set to 1.5:1 with just a bit of gain added, in FB mode.

I still have a long way to go to get the "best" sound out of it I can, bu at least I've discovered that it will do what I need it to. ...Especially for tracking (electric) bass, I still haven't tried to get that fine-tuned yet, I'm hopeful that I'll get it to work well. If not, I have my trusty Ashly CLX-52 that I can always fall back on!
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Guru

Indeed, if I could only have control over one parameter of a compressor's circuit, I'd want it to be the release.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'd settle for just bypass if it was a well designed unit.

A very happy UBK FATSO user here. Two knob operation makes working with the thing an absolute breeze. You just pick a compressor and go. I wish all recording tools were this easy to use.

Brad
Old 19th December 2009
Jai guru deva om

Yup, ubk for character made easy...5043 for more control and subtle character capability by comparison. The ubk can be much more of a "finalizer" with the extra tools on board when going for vibe.

War
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Indeed, if I could only have control over one parameter of a compressor's circuit, I'd want it to be the release.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Hi Greg,

FYI: I would love to get one of your comps right away, but due to the prospect of my wife possibly loosing her job due to outsourcing, I can't right now until we know we're in the clear...

Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Greg,

FYI: I would love to get one of your comps right away, but due to the prospect of my wife possibly loosing her job due to outsourcing, I can't right now until we know we're in the clear...

I truly, truly feel for you and I wish you the best of luck!

The UBK Fatso is a stone-cold classic.

If you're an artist, you will want one. It's that simple.

- c
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I truly, truly feel for you and I wish you the best of luck!

The UBK Fatso is a stone-cold classic.

If you're an artist, you will want one. It's that simple.

- c

Thanks, I appreciate that. No matter what happens, we'll make it, but change is never something that comes easily, and now that I have 2 kids my main concern is their well-being. If it were just my wife and I, it would be no big deal, but when you throw kids into the mix, the perspective totally changes.

Anywho... I have another questions about the UBK: How does the UBK compare the Drawmer 1968? An acquaintance of mine has a 1968 which I have had the chance to hear in action, and since I don't have a chance to hear a UBK in person, it would be nice to hear the comparison folks around here would draw between the two.

Thanks!
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have another questions about the UBK: How does the UBK compare the Drawmer 1968? An acquaintance of mine has a 1968 which I have had the chance to hear in action, and since I don't have a chance to hear a UBK in person, it would be nice to hear the comparison folks around here would draw between the two.

Thanks!

<bump>

Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

i have a 1969 and use both the fatso and the UBK.
i dont really consider using the the 1969 and the fatso in the same application.
two different animals.
two different colors.
YOU have to try it yourself.
make your own opinion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search