The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portico 5043 or UBK Fatso Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
i dont really consider using the the 1969 and the fatso in the same application.
two different animals.
two different colors.
YOU have to try it yourself.

That pretty much sums up my take as well.

If I had to condense the differences down to one salient quality, it'd be that the UBK Fatso is more aggressive in its grab, it was designed to be heard. The 69 isn't an attitude piece but the upshot is that it has a wider range of pleasing, subtle forms of squeeze.

Sometimes the UBK can be too much no matter what you do; sometimes the 69 is not enough. Neither is an effective substitute for the other.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
YOU have to try it yourself.
make your own opinion.

That's the rub...

I wish I could hear one of the UBKs myself locally, however, that is not an option as no local shops carry it and no one I know has one.

This means that I cannot try the UBK without purchasing it, which I cannot *responsibly* do for the time being due to the financial realities of life.

I have heard the 1968, so I'm just trying to get the opinion of someone who's used both (the 1968 and UBK) to share their comparisons between the two, that's all.

Anywho, thanks everyone for your responses!
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Where are you located?
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Where are you located?
Minneapolis, MN metro area.
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
That pretty much sums up my take as well.

If I had to condense the differences down to one salient quality, it'd be that the UBK Fatso is more aggressive in its grab, it was designed to be heard. The 69 isn't an attitude piece but the upshot is that it has a wider range of pleasing, subtle forms of squeeze.

Sometimes the UBK can be too much no matter what you do; sometimes the 69 is not enough. Neither is an effective substitute for the other.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Hi Gregory,

What about on the mixbus? How would you compare them in that regard?
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
What about on the mixbus? How would you compare them in that regard?

If you plan to use the comp primarily on the mix, I'd go with the 69.

The UBK Fatso in Glue mode can be exceptional on mix, it pulls things together really sweetly and thickens it up with a ton of harmonics; bass gets way bigger and clearer too. But that kind of heavy footprint on a preset comp is a double edged sword: if it's too much color, or if the action isn't quite right for the way you work your balances, you're screwed.

I guess it depends on what else you got at your disposal and whether you plan to use it for more than just 2-buss squeeze, but if your rack is lean and you really need something to sparkle on every mix you build, imo the 69 is a stronger choice.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search