The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What gear to best "Depeche Modefy" drums?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

What gear to best "Depeche Modefy" drums?

Lately I have been falling in love (again) with the drumsound of the dark 80ies stuff like Depeche Mode. Loud, grainy, chopped off blasts of reverb that blend with the original snarehits and do not make it sound like it´s snare and reverb, but rather blend into one snare that sounds massive, big, hit so hard it might bust the listeners eardrums.

Does anyone know what gear or techniques were preferably used back then to get this sort of sound? Any reverb units that come with these type of sounds stock? Or where to get lots of samples that follow this aesthetic idea? It is lofi, grainy, with lots of mids, kind of different from what we get out of modern equipment these days. I have found one perfect source of samples, the mirage drums. But the variation is limited of course....You can listen to a remix I did with the mirage samples only here to get an idea what I mean (it´s a great video as well!):

http://www.wildcowboys.com/sash/bestgirlflov2.m4v
(beware it´s a 37MB video file in pretty high quality...)

Rock on!
Pat
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I believe the AMS RMX reverb might be very useful. I've played around with that and electronic drums and was able to get that 'coughing' drum sound.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys View Post
Lately I have been falling in love (again) with the drumsound of the dark 80ies stuff like Depeche Mode. Loud, grainy, chopped off blasts of reverb that blend with the original snarehits and do not make it sound like it´s snare and reverb, but rather blend into one snare that sounds massive, big, hit so hard it might bust the listeners eardrums.

Does anyone know what gear or techniques were preferably used back then to get this sort of sound? Any reverb units that come with these type of sounds stock? Or where to get lots of samples that follow this aesthetic idea? It is lofi, grainy, with lots of mids, kind of different from what we get out of modern equipment these days. I have found one perfect source of samples, the mirage drums. But the variation is limited of course....You can listen to a remix I did with the mirage samples only here to get an idea what I mean (it´s a great video as well!):

http://www.wildcowboys.com/sash/bestgirlflov2.m4v
(beware it´s a 37MB video file in pretty high quality...)

Rock on!
Pat
Ensoniq DP/4
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice, I will check out the impulses of the AMS, think I have some on my harddisk. Funny thing is that when I was typing the thread, I had the DP4 pictured in my mind. It simply LOOKS so much "depeche mode" that I thought well, maybe someone is gonna suggest it. I regret selling mine about 10 years ago, it was a great box of tricks. I remember I could route stuff so that I was getting a delay which got more distortion on each repetition while the level was dropping down (as with a regular delay)....quite insane things, especially for the time it was made, before the computers took over. Maybe I´ll buy one if I get the chance, they pop up really cheap once in a while...

Rock on!
Pat
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

checked out some AMS impulses. The NonLin stuff is great for my purposes! I guess there are no DP4 impulses floating on the net, right?

Rock on!
Pat
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Here's an article on old Depeche Mode: CLASSIC TRACKS: Depeche Mode's 'People Are People'

Multiple rooms... big PA system miked up, etc.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the link, fantastic resource!!!!
Rock on!
Pat
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear