The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on live set-up
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

Advice on live set-up

I've had a small amount of experience with live sound and up until now i've just used whatever equipment either the band or myself has for the gig. I've got an album launch for a small local band consisting of two guitarists, drums and bass (two of the guitarists sing as well).

I've been given a budget of around $400 - $600 Australian to hire whatever gear I want for the night.

I'm getting two foldback wedges, a few dbx 166xl compressors, graphic EQ's for FOH and folback, some sm58's for the vocals, a D.I. for the bass and probably a console, with the remaining money in the budget, i'm wondering whether I should get D.I.'s for all of the guitars or get SM57's?

It's only a small function room in a local pub (enough to fit around 100 people plus a band i've been told).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

what city? definitely get mics for the cabs... whether or not you use them will depend on the size of the PA, how loud the egos have their amps (and where they're facing) and how many people are in the pit.

with that budget you should be able to hire enough to do the gig... perhaps even another 15" wedge for the drummer.
maybe even a few of the finer things like 604s and a decent kick mic etc...
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

The album launch is in South Sydney.

I'm definitely leaning more towards getting mics for the amps at the moment. The band generally plays with them fairly loud but they're pretty laid back so I can make them turn them down no worries.

The band already has an active wedge i'll be using as drum fill (not sure on the size of the wedge) but due to the size of the room i'm probably not going to bother miking up any of the drums. They usually drown out the rest of the band to a certain extent anyway! lol

Having said that, would it still be worth looking at getting maybe just kick and snare mic's just for a bit of re-inforcement?
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

I agree with Enginearing

I would definitely mic up the cabs and get a kick and snare mic just in case!

Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can make them turn them down no worries.
I can see you are new to live sound.

Don't bother with DI for guitars just mic the cabinets. Always mic up everything you can. Better to have it turned off then to not have it if you need it. Lots of drummers get lazy on the kick once they get in to the set.
Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice! thumbsup

It's the first time i've been given the opportunity to hire a PA and organize the sound from start to finish by myself so i'm pretty excited.

I'll be taking tonnes of photos and i'll post a few for those that are interested (probably not many, but hey, i'm stoked!) lol
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Just a little tip from my (limited) experience: remember to ring-out the PA first - FOH and wedges separately! Wedges (usually) seem to ring nicely at around 1-1.5k, but this is also the frequency where a lot of vocal presence sits (useful to add a little to if you need to get vocals to cut through)...
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

Yeah i'm getting stereo graphic EQ's for the FOH and foldback systems to try and keep feedback under control. I've done live stuff before without graphics and it was a bit of a nightmare.

Thankfully I get a whole day to set-up and tune my system.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear