The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
multiple multitrack, one console - how do you arrange the patchbay?
Old 20th November 2009
multiple multitrack, one console - how do you arrange the patchbay?

I just picked up a 2" machine. I am wondering how people with multiple recording devices and a console arrange the patchbay. do you normal the console to one device and then patch in the other? would you NOT normal and always patch to avoid impedance issues?

I hope this doesn't sound dumb.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
I just picked up a 2" machine. I am wondering how people with multiple recording devices and a console arrange the patchbay. do you normal the console to one device and then patch in the other? would you NOT normal and always patch to avoid impedance issues?

no, it doesnt sound dumb at all.

(but from my experience it looks like more work than what its worth.)

from your questions, id normal one device and then patch into the other...
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

Name them "Multitrack 1" and "Multitrack 2" (or something similar that doesn't use the actual name of the device- protools, studer....) on the patchbay. You can keep "Multitrack 1" as the standard half-normal connection, and purchase/ build a switcher to change between the two, pre-patchbay- The selected option on the switcher would be your "Multitrack 1." This eliminates the need for several cables to be semi-permanently patched, and would still let you access both multitracks at the same time.
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post

We Have a RADAR V [24 Channels I/O], connected to a PM2K [32 Input Channels] and we have a Mac Logic/Apogee System with 32 Channels of AD/DA. All of this these Analog I/O's show up on the Patch bay with mucho looms of REDCO TGS wire. Oh, yea, we also have a JH24 wired up to the bay, and soon to add the Studer A810 that made its way to Mercenary.

The most used recorder in our studio, [RADAR V] has its DA Outputs HALF NORMAL to our Console's Inputs. This means that PATCHING the INPUT BREAKS THE FEED to the bottom patch point, and PATCHING the OUTPUT SPLITS THE SIGNAL.

The RADAR inputs are found on the patch bay in non normal configuration, since we have a rack of 24 outboard mic amps, which also show up on the bay in a logical manor. Another option would be to HALF NORM your MIC AMP OUTS to your RECORDER inputs, if you need clever splits from them for any reason.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 20th November 2009
YES im sorry I said "normal" in my post I meant "half-normal". I was thinking to half-normal the consoles 24 outputs to the HD24's 24 inputs, and half-normal the HD-24's outputs to the Consoles 24 line inputs (inline console). The issue I am considering is when going from the console's line outputs to the 2", (breaking the half-normal) the console has to drive double load. Is this a potential problem?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

build a d-sub patchbay - that's what i did.
with mults and various options that tie it to the tt bay.
Old 20th November 2009
my console has 40 modules with 80 inputs, the 40 tape 40 line, each path has it's own 4 band sweepable eq I have my 2" machine on tape ins 1-24, I have my first 24 DAW outputs on line ins 1-24, 25-40 of the DAW goes to the tape returns 25-40.
41-48 go to the line inputs of 25-32. I can flip the inputs with just a few switches and no repatching.
Old 20th November 2009
my console is 24 tracks inline, so 48 total on mixdown. I paired it with 24 tracks analog/24 tracks digital. I am super hyped about this setup. I am just wondering if half-normalling is a bad idea because of the lower impedance. so my two choices are to half-normal the console to one machine, or to just not have anything half normalled at all and always use patch plugs. if I decide to half-normal, I get the benefit of splitting to both devices for recording, but like I said, I am concerned about overall quality and don't want to do anything to degrade that.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear