The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I get rid of my line6 pod?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Unless you're broke don't sell it, it can always be useful if you need to be quiet, I use mine when a drummer wants to hear his guitarist live, it's perfect for that.
It's also a good learning tool imo, you can really get an idea of what sounds like what.

I would buy a good amp for recording though, if I had only one new tube amp to buy it'd be the Vox AC30 Hand Wired edition, it sounds crazy.
On a budget it's be the AC4, it's dirt cheap and it freaking rocks.

Good luck.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have owned POD's - wanted to like them - I gave it an effort - I like the delays and some of the effects but the amp sounds are nasty.

I would take one good tube amp over all of those same flavors of buzzy cheese.
Old 20th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
Hey guy's, I have herd a lot of people saying that my shoes suck, even though they are comfortable, should I get a new pair and just get rid of these..let me know what I should do

PS. Ill take them off your hands
Mine sucks too from what everyone on GS is telling me but Im keeping it
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

I have a podxt live as well as a Fender Deluxe. I record with the POD & love it. I think you have to take time to configure the sounds to your guitar. I avoid presets at all cost as they tend to have extreme eq, reverb, chorus, etc setting and sound artificial. I also purchased a bunch of classic amp emulations.

All of the electric guitar parts on the link below were recorded with a PRS running through my podxt live. There are 19 songs.

In the end, if you are getting good tones, keep it, if not sell it.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

I got the first Pod around '99 and now own the XTLive.
They've made major improvements to their algrthms in the last 10 years.
Much more responsive to pick attack, harmonics and other tube like sensations. I've A/B'd to Mesa Boogie MkIV, Vox, Fender and Marshall via direct out into a board and out to studio monitors. I COULD NOT tell the difference and could never find anyone that could. Again this is a direct signal, no mics involved.

Now playing through Pod live into a PA and a mid-size room is a whole other matter. The originals absolutely cut through better.

The Pod family (the amps are another animal) can sound synthetic and "fake" to a lot of people that have more experience with the original equipment. That doesn't mean POD is worse.

The biggest issue Line 6 has had is people playing them through guitar amps. Guitar amps DO NOT accept this signal information well no matter how "cleaned up" you try to make them. Pods and any modeling softwared signals MUST go into a clean power source to be appreciated. Guitar amps have at least two stages of power a signal goes through. This wreaks havoc with "emulated" signals.

If guitarists spent half the time practicing scales and modes and chords that they do obsessing over tone....
Old 21st November 2009
Check out the Fender Champ xd.Wonderful little amp!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
IIf guitarists spent half the time practicing scales and modes and chords that they do obsessing over tone....
Scales and....what?

When I get the tone right all I need to do is turn up the volume and brush the strings.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

I'm in this dilemma too. I've got a Fender Vibro Champ XD and an Orange Tiny Terror on the way. And I've got Pod X3 Pro. The only good bass on there was sub bass, but that's now been surpassed by the Great River DI. The vocal emulations on there were never up to much. The guitar ones were pretty decent, but having a heard a Telecaster 72 Deluxe through Vibro Champ now, it's just more the sound I'm after, as hopfully the Tiny Terror will be too. I'd like to keep my Pod as it's a useful tool, but I'd like money for other things much more so I'm gonna sell mine - £399 anyone?

Lucian

Last edited by Lucian; 21st November 2009 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Typo (usual instead of useful)
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by che_guitarra View Post
My thoughts are that if you can't get a brilliant sound out of a Pod, i'd be wanting to replace the guitarist or producer before the Pod itself. Skills speak for themself - real equipment or simulated.
That's funny; I see it the other way around--if an engineer or guitarist has to resort to a POD to get a good sound, something is wrong.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
Hey guy's, I have herd a lot of people saying that my shoes suck, even though they are comfortable, should I get a new pair and just get rid of these..let me know what I should do

PS. Ill take them off your hands
I love my $20 walmart shoes.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.mck View Post
Hi,
I've been hearing pretty bad things about the line 6 pod, and I'm think about getting rid of my pod pro and behringer bass v-amp.
Not to pick on you jack, but... do you like it? Yes? Use it. No? Um... don't.

Don't worry what other people say. The only one who OWNS your music is you.

You can't make music unless you have a great pre and a LDC and a pair of Barefoot monitors and Apogee converters. Good lord. Do your thing, find what works for you and use it, don't worry about what everyone else says, about keeping up with someone else's idea of technology, etc.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm certainly not a tone snob, and have used the POD in it's various forms over the years, but almost always prefer a good mic'd amp. But as others have said, if it sounds good to you, use it! But, as someone else said, you have to develop an ear to really be able to get the sounds you want out of it.

I think alot of people that dismiss the Line 6 stuff are kinda like one of my older "experienced blues/rock" friends was when the 2.0 came out. He plugged the POD into an amp, and as he switched through amp models he said "crap, crap, crap, sounds ok, crap, crap". Only gave a few seconds for each model. As I said earlier, you have to spend time figuring out how to make them sound good! And that may be the problem... I've gotten some great tones out of them, but I've also heard some TERRIBLE crap tones come from them from some of the bands I've recorded....

Anyway, I wouldn't sell the POD, it's always good to have in a pinch, or for an effect. But for what you are proposing... going into the board, and then re-amping later, maybe it would be better to just buy the Line 6 Gearbox software or something. It's only about $100USD, and it might save some of the degradation you'd get from running the recorded DI out to the POD and back again.

But seriously, if you can, buy a small combo amp and a 57, you might be surprised at how easy it is to get great tones....
Old 21st November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmabat View Post
I still like my busted ass Adidas I got for $30.00 at J.C. penny's ..I remember when I would spend all my "school cloths" money on one pair of shoe's..Boy do things change once you grow up and have kids..unless your doing hip hop, then you HAVE to have $1000.00 shoes or things just wont sound rightheh
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Who says it needs to be used on guitar? Use it for some other dirt, if called for.. I've used it as a send on bass as well as vocals on different occasions. It was better than any plug has gotten me, and a lot more versatile with tone shaping.

Keep it, unless you really need the money.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

well... it is one awesome and useful machine in the studio... for tracking and even mixing as many have said, not only on guitar.. also, my pod xt has all the expansions and i use it to enable all models in amp farm... if that's not useful, i wonder what is... i wouldn't sell mine, unless i had something equally practical and useful as a substitute.

i also like it that it is pretty well built for live use.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

May I put it into perspective?

I've NEVER heard anyone say they don't like a song because the guitar sounds like it's not coming through a real amp.

I ALWAYS hear people say they hate a song because the singer sucks or the song sucks.

If you're making music purely for an audience who expects fantastic original sounding tone; like say Robben Ford or Larry Carlton, etc., you'd have a point.

It's the singer and the song. Everything else is superfluous window dressing.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by che_guitarra View Post
My Line 6 Flexitone amp's XLR outs are virtually hard-wired to our studio DAW - virtually making it a Pod. If I could i'd record every project through it. But, if a guitarist has spent $10,000 on amps and FX toys to ratify an ego, the last thing he wants (or is willing) to hear is "can we try going through this $500 amp simulator instead?"

My thoughts are that if you can't get a brilliant sound out of a Pod, i'd be wanting to replace the guitarist or producer before the Pod itself. Skills speak for themself - real equipment or simulated. To me these boxes are gods gift to guitar/bass players - the FX alone are worth every cent.

I think you'll find most Line 6 brand bashers are audio fashionistas that are more interested in having 'gear of the month' rather than obtaining results. Line 6 was last month's flavour, you see - time to move on!
I disagree with virtually everything in your post (except for the first two sentences where you described your set up and your preferences, which I have no opinion on). But there is really no need to debate the issue. Just point us to links of your productions done entirely with a Pod or your Flexitone amp that sound utterly jaw dropping and the guitar sounds are on par with the best guitar sounds ever recorded and it will shut all of us naysayers up.

I am not saying that my productions meet that criteria, but I am saying that all of the best guitar sounds I have ever heard have come from real amps, and I have yet to hear a guitar sound done with an amp emulator that is on par with those sounds.

Looking forward to checking out your links.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Bob Clearmountain hates pods if that means anything......
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear
well I don't know pods well, but I can say that Angus went through some amp sim stuff for their latest album. I have no idea if they had to tie him up kicking and screaming to do it, but w/e, he must have approved of the sound afterwards.

I suspect though (just a guess here) that he played through a di into his amp so his di and amp sounds were both recorded, then they played with amp sims on the di afterwards until they got something cool and then said "Hey Angus, see if you like this".

cheers,
Don
Old 25th November 2009
I have a small amp collection (rebel 20 w/ organge 1x12 cab, vintage 65 twin, Pro Jr, Valve Jr, etc) and a robust collection of pedals and effects - and there's still something to be said for the flexibility and diversity of what a POD can offer... Heresy to some I know...

There's no substitute for mic'ing a real amp, but the flip side is who really is going to have all the tonal colors that a Pod or like box/software has to offer? Especially someone in a home/project studio.

Even with the amps and effects I have - I can't tell you how many times someone was looking for a different sound or color that can easily be had from a pod or plug in.

it's an invaluable tool for songwriting and used tastefully pod/sim tones can be used to complement or add diversity to real amps.

so I'd say - don't sell it - but, buy a small tube amp for $200 and a 57 and start experimenting for yourself. you can get a fender champ 600, a epi valve jr., both decent small tube amps to get you started, I think vox makes a small affordable tube amp as well.

once you do, you'll understand the difference between real amps and sims - and you can have your own experience about how to best use both.

if you can spend a little more on something like a fender pro jr., ($400) it is a very respectible amp and great for recording.

I can say with some degree of comfort that proably 90% of the guitar tones you hear in TV show scores and commercials is most likely a sim - not that I don't think any respectable band would ever do a live show with a pod to the house mixer, but you get the point...
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

"I can say with some degree of comfort that proably 90% of the guitar tones you hear in TV show scores and commercials is most likely a sim - not that I don't think any respectable band would ever do a live show with a pod to the house mixer, but you get the point..."

There's a pretty well respected guitarist friend of mine who does all his shows through a POD XT these days. The guy is constantly complimented on, his finesse as player and his tone. He's just sold his 65 Marshall because, he simply didn't use it anymore. The magick comes from the guys head and fingers, the truth is he would, probably, get a better tone through a behringer V Amp than most guitarists through a boutique amp...

I mean how many people here have ever played guitar through a HHIC100 combo? How many have even chuffin heard of them? To me an absolute pile of utter dross, the best noise they made was the clank, when you kicked them with the reverb on. Alex Lifeson and Eric Bell used them in the studio and live for years. They were 100 watt nasty, cheap, transistor fizz boxes to 99>99% of guitar players. Buts that's the guitar sound on Rush's Xanadu. It might as well be an amp sim, for the relation it bares to a *proper valve* amp, after all, transistors merely emulate what saturated valves do.?
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think pods pretty much suck , I used one for years when they came out , for writing songs in the studio and never like them that much , it was ok , decent . I now use an AD30 Orange half stack and it blows any amp sim away .

But Weezer did use only pods on one of their tours , you can find the info here weezer

"The band made some significant changes to their touring gear at the start of the "Hooptie Tour", in order to adapt to extreme constraints of storage space and tour budget, as this tour was entirely a money-losing promotional thing. Some very compact gear was invested in, which would more than save money by eliminating the need for a huge truck. After much experimentation, the guitar techs recommended trying the Line 6 "POD" system, which is basically a very modern "virtual amplifier" which actually sounds really good, unlike the many rackmount systems of thew past which always sounded like a bad computer trying to copy an ampo sound (which is really what they were) The Pod actually DOES sound like real amplifier, so despite the extreme reservations of the band, they were tried out in rehearsals, and were an instant hit! So Rivers and Brian each got a guitar pod, and Mikey got a bass pod. The strange thing about the POD system is the POD's are kept offstage where the guitar tech's can service them if needed, so there is literally nothing on stage except the drum kit! The sound is sent directly from the POD's to the PA system, eliminating the need for speaker cabinets with microphones trained on them..."
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
well I don't know pods well, but I can say that Angus went through some amp sim stuff for their latest album.
That is a surprise to me considering the artist and the team involved in recording the last album. Where did you get this information?
Old 26th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
I think pods pretty much suck , I used one for years when they came out , for writing songs in the studio and never like them that much , it was ok , decent . I now use an AD30 Orange half stack and it blows any amp sim away .

But Weezer did use only pods on one of their tours , you can find the info here weezer

"The band made some significant changes to their touring gear at the start of the "Hooptie Tour", in order to adapt to extreme constraints of storage space and tour budget, as this tour was entirely a money-losing promotional thing. Some very compact gear was invested in, which would more than save money by eliminating the need for a huge truck. After much experimentation, the guitar techs recommended trying the Line 6 "POD" system, which is basically a very modern "virtual amplifier" which actually sounds really good, unlike the many rackmount systems of thew past which always sounded like a bad computer trying to copy an ampo sound (which is really what they were) The Pod actually DOES sound like real amplifier, so despite the extreme reservations of the band, they were tried out in rehearsals, and were an instant hit! So Rivers and Brian each got a guitar pod, and Mikey got a bass pod. The strange thing about the POD system is the POD's are kept offstage where the guitar tech's can service them if needed, so there is literally nothing on stage except the drum kit! The sound is sent directly from the POD's to the PA system, eliminating the need for speaker cabinets with microphones trained on them..."
very cool.

so much for self respecting bands not playing direct through POD's - I'll be eating that post now, got some salt?
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would agree with keeping the Pod unless you need cash. I have a bass pod and a guitar pod. They are great for lower end projects where the person is in a hurry and they can sit behind the board and track. Also for dummy guitars that are tracked in my main room along with the drums it is great to have them. No amp in the room mics just the headphones.
GT.
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
I disagree with virtually everything in your post (except for the first two sentences where you described your set up and your preferences, which I have no opinion on). But there is really no need to debate the issue. Just point us to links of your productions done entirely with a Pod or your Flexitone amp that sound utterly jaw dropping and the guitar sounds are on par with the best guitar sounds ever recorded and it will shut all of us naysayers up.

Looking forward to checking out your links.
OK I'll play (putting on my flame suit as I type). These songs were recorded using a PRS through a POD XT live into a Presonus FP 10, into Sonar.

Track 1. Guitar solo near the end of song

Track 6. whole song

Track 12. whole song

I will admit that I am I am limited by my own recording and mastering skills, but I think the POD more than holds its own.

Track 1 was recorded using a newly purchased LA-610 ( I ran my PodXT live through it, as well) and I feel this is a big improvement. I think the POD itself, however, does a great job at replacing 10,000 worth of guitar amps & effects.

I think you may have set the bar a little high in saying they need to compare to the best guitar sounds ever. 99.9% of real guitar rigs do not match this criteria.
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Head

I'd keep it.

I've used my Pod with my bass (Fender P Bass Deluxe) stand alone and gotten great sounds. I've used it in front of an amp (Gallien Krueger 400rb, 700rb, Ampeg SVT 3 Pro, Ampeg 410 HLF cab) and gotten great sounds.

I have also used my Pod (X3 and XT live) with my guitar stand alone and gotten great sounds. I have also used my Pod with Les Paul (Studio and Goldtop Supreme) and my Fender Hot Rod Deville and gotten great sounds.

I have a ton of pedals (Rat,Tube Screamer, Big Muff, etc.) but always come back to the Pod.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmabat View Post
HAHAHAHA (ah, me too! lol heh)
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have a studio fully treated and well equipped with mics preamps etc.
It's a bitch to turn on the studio and what not. So for my bed room I use this setup. For playing along to processed yamaha motif sounds the pod is beyond great.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Had a Pod2 pro and XT pro, sold them both. Regret it. Miss the 2 in the morning sessions - living in an apartment. Sure I have some amps on my laptop but not the same. My guess is that line6 will bring out v4 soon and will focus on sound, maybe even with killer ad/da - take away some of the axe market - but probably not a goal as it's too niche at this point. They make a lot of dough. They could make a killer box and undercut axe by 500$.

We'll see.. but the pod is fun and has its place for sure. It's not useless at all.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear