The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there anybody who likes the 80's snare sound?
Old 19th November 2009
Is there anybody who likes the 80's snare sound?

I'm talking about for example the snare in Whitesnakes is this love. Lots and lots of reverb! Personally, I can't take it, and I'm interested if there is anyone out there who can.
Old 19th November 2009
I'm a big 80's fan and I love those big drum sounds.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I actually really like that drum sound...
Old 19th November 2009
That sound was appropriate for the time and I can't imagine that song without it. All those power ballads of the 80's had that big arena drum sound, and it was perfect for them.
Everything has its place and thankfully that sound's place is in the past.
Old 19th November 2009
cool stuff, nice to hear your opinion
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

i love that sound when it is right, i don't however like it when it sounds completely electronic.

i love the 80's snare that sounds like a tom with snares on it.... a lower registered punchy sound with verb is awesome!!!!!!!! and i feel it became a sound in music now because of the 80's.....

before the 80's most music had snappy and hi-tuned snares.
Old 19th November 2009
to me, it never really went away.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm not sure on this, but if anyone knows the facts be interested to hear.. but.... The first time i noticed, what sounds like a gated reverb on a snare is on the Doobie Bros "Without you" from The Captain and Me..

For me, this is THE snare sound from a ballad type song..

YouTube - Robin Trower - For Earth Below
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
No doubt! What a great vibe. I love everything Trower has ever done. Snare sound is outstanding... Thanks for reminding me how good this recording is.....
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post

For me, this is THE snare sound from a ballad type song..

YouTube - Robin Trower - For Earth Below
This I have no prob with whatsoever. It sounds great. What I don't like is when people overdo it. This sounds awesome tho
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I'm a big 80's fan and I love those big drum sounds.
+1!

Tommy Lee all the way.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hate it, hate it, hate it. It is rarely appropriate, and almost always a distraction. It was the "overused autotune"/"extremely overcompressed" trend of the the 80s. I think most of us who were adults in the 80s do not remember fondly the horrible sounds of the time. I suspect that youthful nostalgia accounts for much of the recent enthusiasm for the sounds of the time.

What I have read many times is that Phil Collins was the source of that sound on the Peter Gabriel song 'Intruder'. What is very interesting is that Collins' sound had little to do with reverb; it was a super compressed room mic where the release time made it sound like a gated reverb.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Not me.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

80's snare drum was great in the 80's.
Nostalgia for the ages.
To me stereo became really apparent in the 70's with FM radio.
The snare drum became great in the age of MTV.
Reverb suddenly became dramatic.
25 years or more ago.

I remember the first time I heard a really thunderous gated reverbed snare and wondered how it was done.
Lusted after Lynn drum machines after that.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Guru

A lot of them were sampled/triggered.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Always liked The Cure's drum sound.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

The beginning of "Force Ten" by Rush sounds pretty cool! That... that electro-percussion with delay thing count's as a snare, right?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butler View Post
That sound was appropriate for the time and I can't imagine that song without it. All those power ballads of the 80's had that big arena drum sound, and it was perfect for them.
Everything has its place and thankfully that sound's place is in the past.
I agree. For that time it worked well. But let's face it, we were all a little nuts back then. I mean between the hair mouse, tassled jackets, fairy boots and make up who had time to concentrate on the music.

P.S. They're still using big sounding drums in production. But the sound has morphed into something alot less cheesey.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

The low tuned ballade fatback snare? .. love it. The balloon toms with reverb? hate that

Back then you could recognize who it was playingm through simply listening - no need to look at the sleeve. If Mike Baird was playing, behind whatever song on the radio, you could pick him out after 3 seconds. But today .. I can't recognize anyone, all sound the same :/
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins - killer drum sound

Too Young to Fall in Love - Motley Crue - awesome raw/natural drum intro
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

The new Jovi album has verb all over it. Lots of verb'd up snares! Of course it has a clearer modern twist (be interested to know what Bob C used) with the size of simulated spaces seemingly more obvious...if that makes any sense, LOL!

You can also find the meaty low snare in some of the songs! Best drum sound Jovi has had for years imho. I always find it odd when a big rock or metal band has a drum sound where the drummer is whacking 7 shades of sh*t out of the kit and it sounds like muffled thumps. Iron Maiden comes to mind...

Mutt Lange had a (possibly -at the time) seeminly unique approach to the big snare. His had lots of weight - the added tom thing - but it didn't seem to be big because of the verb.

Love the 80s...and love that Rush stuff that someone mentioned - Power Windows, Hold Your Fire etc. Shame they sound a bit 'thin'.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

It was cool then but not so much now. Its kinda like makeup on women. In the eighties they caked it on and same with reverb in music. Now women usually go with much less if not none at all, just like reverb in most music....

Daniel

I do miss the eighties and being a young'un back then blasting all the rock
and metal. *sigh*.
Old 21st November 2009
I can think of one place it was PERFECT. Faith No More's Angel Dust album near the end of the song "Midlife Crisis" they use that kinda sound on the snare for a few bars, and in that context, it was heavy as hell.

Like anything, it can be good sparingly. Some people really know how to wear out a good trick, though. *cough* Mutt *cough*
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudevico View Post
I'm talking about for example the snare in Whitesnakes is this love. Lots and lots of reverb! Personally, I can't take it, and I'm interested if there is anyone out there who can.

There really is not a lot of (fake) reverb on 'Slide it in' or 'Slip of the tongue' records. Let's face reality, Cozy Powell and Tommy Aldridge are two of the best drummer that have ever played. Make no mistake, Cozy was the one and only consideration to replace Bonham in 1980. It has been documented.

Aldridge is amazing too, his work with Pat Travers , Black Oak Arkansas, Ozzy etc.. will never be topped either.

With that being said, is there a better drum sound than slide it in? I don't think so. The popular Tawney Katain Whitesnake 'MTV' record with the original Journey drummer is a bit verby but other than that they are 99% very organic drum sounds on all the other records.

Obviously the first 6 Whitesnake LPs with Ian Paice from Deep Purple drummer are immaculate and also very natural
Coverdale is hands down one of the best rock/blues singer ever. If not for that 1 record ( I think it's called 'Whitesnake') from 87 There wouldn't be any negativity towards this band or their production. Their productions w/ Martin Birch are simply killer. Martin Birch is one of the top producers of all time. He basically pioneered Heavy Metal/Hard Rock production.

that 87 record had some great songs that still make you feel good (despite the hair band thing). John Sykes Mel Galley,
Mick Moody, Bernie (UFO) Marsden are some of the best gtr players too.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

I was thinking the same thing about Cozy Powell. His drums did and still do sound really good to me. Alan White's drums on 90125 and Big Generator still work for me too.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoxbox View Post
I was thinking the same thing about Cozy Powell. His drums did and still do sound really good to me. Alan White's drums on 90125 and Big Generator still work for me too.
yeah Allen White is one of the best too. All his work with Yes, John Lennon
George Harrison etc... 90125 is a simply awesome drum sound
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

I personally love that sound, but then again I am huge fan of 80s metal so I guess I'm biased. Some records have it more spot on than others, but in my opinion the Dr. Feelgood snare is hands down one of the best snare sounds of all time.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I liked the sonics of the drums and guitars at that time, but trying to listen to that stuff now makes me wonder what the hell I was sniffing back then. Actually, even back then, there was some stuff that I knew was too soaked in reverb (certain guitars). A buddy of mine who worked at a major Canadain studio in Toronto owned one of those white Jubilee Marshalls and a couple of bands requested to use it on their albums because it sounded so great. When I listened to those albums when they were done the guitars were so soaked in verb that my first thought was what would it even have mattered what amp was used? Killer Dwarfs was one of them.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
Hate it, hate it, hate it. It is rarely appropriate, and almost always a distraction. It was the "overused autotune"/"extremely overcompressed" trend of the the 80s. I think most of us who were adults in the 80s do not remember fondly the horrible sounds of the time. I suspect that youthful nostalgia accounts for much of the recent enthusiasm for the sounds of the time.

What I have read many times is that Phil Collins was the source of that sound on the Peter Gabriel song 'Intruder'. What is very interesting is that Collins' sound had little to do with reverb; it was a super compressed room mic where the release time made it sound like a gated reverb.

I always have to wonder...

To "most of you who were adults" through any of this; is there anything outside of your era that you did like?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post

Solid State Logic | Music

Long-time SSL user Hugh Padgham was one of the first to capture this new drum sound on tape,while working with Steve Lilywhite on Peter Gabrielโ€™s โ€˜Intruderโ€™, he told Mix magazine:* "On a normal console, you have a button to press to talk to the musicians in the headphones, but you did not have a button to press for us to listen to the musicians. To do that, you'd plug a microphone into a spare channel on the desk and listen to your musicians through that. But the SSL had a reverse talkback button and there was a microphone hanging up in the studio already, a dedicated input into the reverse mic input on the console. And on this microphone, they had the most unbelievably heavy compressor, so you could hear somebody who was over in the corner.
"One day, Phil (Collins) was playing the drums,โ€ Hugh recalls, โ€œand I had the reverse talkback on because he was speaking, and then he started playing the drums. The most unbelievable sound came out because of the heavy compressor. I said, 'My God, this is the most amazing sound! Steve, listen to this.' But the way the reverse talkback was setup, you couldn't record it. So I had the desk modified that night. I got one of the maintenance guys to take the desk apart and get a split output of this compressor and feed it into a patch point on the jack field so I could then patch it into a channel on the board. From there, we were able to route that to the tape recorder."
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear