The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there anybody who likes the 80's snare sound?
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

I like it..of course some did it badly too...The Cure definitely has some very interesting drum sounds from the c-ducer, zero ambience sound of Seventeen seconds to the huge reverbed kit sounds of Disintegration... Kiss Me album has some wonderful drum sounds too..some of the best imho

Personally I find the modern crushed room sound really over done and boring these days...
Old 8th January 2010
Not terribly fond of the endless hair band mixes where the gigantic puffy snare is the lead instrument. That's the autotune of the 80's, often applied in ill-fitting context, and sometimes detracts from otherwise very well composed songs. Don't get me wrong, I like it for nostalgic reasons, but smothering an entire era of great tunes with it was misguided.

But I do like big drums more tastefully applied, especially those using room mics more than artificial verb. Some earlier XTC stuff like Black Sea and English Settlement have incredible sounding drums that sound timeless to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Kiss Me album has some wonderful drum sounds too..some of the best imho.
I also enjoy the drum sounds on some Cure albums. Many of the tracks from Kiss Me X3 have killer drums that would never strike me as "dated", they really fit the music. The snare sound on songs like Torture is pretty sweet.

A lot of the 80's stuff sound amazing when cranked on real speakers. No hyper-squashed mastering and other nonsense. It makes most modern albums sound small, flat, 1-dimensional.
Old 8th January 2010
Here for the gear

Three great sounds define the 80's to me .... and are still useful IMHO
Oberheim ( any sound Bass, pad ,etc. ) !
Roland Jazz Chorus !
Big gated drums !

These can all be used in a relavent and vital sort of Nu.Wav kind of way not the craptastic hair metal nonsense
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

To me the Steven Slate snares sound very 80's to me...
and I'm fine with that.
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Maniac

I love it!

Of course it only fits in certain situations, but when it does...that BIG snare with lots of 'verb is awesome! heh
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is there anybody who likes the 80's snare sound?
Which one?

One of my favorite snare sounds of all time, from 1980. You have to listen on vinyl to really hear how huge it is.

Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Old 10th January 2010
Gear Head

Bob Clearmountain + Mickey Curry = the #1 snare sound of the 80s!
You gotta love it.
Or....
Mutt Lang + Mickey Curry. Again THE classic 80s rock drum sound.
Old 10th January 2010
Gear Addict

I still really dig a Gated verb snare from time to time.
Old 10th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
We got carried away with the SPX-90 and later regret it. Back to basics.
HaHa! So true!

There is an SPX90 I can pick up for super cheap at a local pawn shop and I just don't want to buy it.
Why?
Because I have better stuff equipment that does everything better EXCEPT for that damn snare sound thing!
I am afraid that I'd be tempted to use it!

Back in the '80s I had a "go to" SPX90 patch called "Woman Killer" (I didn't name it) and I used it ALL THE TIME!
I could still program it into a SPX90 in a few minutes from memory.
Old 11th January 2010
Gear Maniac

THAT snare really detracts from one of my favorite 80's tracks: "hello earth" by kate bush off hounds of love release. such a beautiful voice then the second verse comes in with that verbed up digital snare. What were they thinking?

"murderer of calm" indeed.

spek

ps i think the culprit was an early linn drum machine
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound
Then set the standard for programmed sampled drums in the Fairlight with Pyromania
Ah, I love that Pyromania snare! (that album would not be the same without it! - you know I mean with a different one, not totally without a snare, duh)
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompEq View Post
Ah, I love that Pyromania snare! (that album would not be the same without it! - you know I mean with a different one, not totally without a snare, duh)
Though some won't admit it, when that record came out and we all heard those drums, it really turned our heads. It was amazing and pioneering, I remember being thrilled to be able to do a passable recreation of it live with a real drum! It was even more thrilling to work with the real band a few years later. All you people out there, stop feeling guilty about your 80s pleasures! Confess, it's OK!!!
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earshotaudio View Post
Bob Clearmountain + Mickey Curry = the #1 snare sound of the 80s!
You gotta love it.
Or....
Mutt Lang + Mickey Curry. Again THE classic 80s rock drum sound.
The record that Mutt produced was still mixed by BC! It's all good!
Old 15th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
THAT snare really detracts from one of my favorite 80's tracks: "hello earth" by kate bush off hounds of love release. such a beautiful voice then the second verse comes in with that verbed up digital snare. What were they thinking?

"murderer of calm" indeed.

spek

ps i think the culprit was an early linn drum machine
I would forgive Kate Bush an entire album made of only an 80's snare.
Old 15th January 2010
Does anyone like that 80's sound?

Not me.

Oh wait you only said snare, well I guess it encompasses that too.
Old 15th January 2010
Gear Head

they're good in power ballads, but not in faster paced songs...

i hate hearing them frequently, they're better spaced out....
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

I know it's just me being nostalgic, but I definitely love that 80s snare sound! I think Phil Collins (just to name someone) overused it , but I still like it when I hear it.

Wouldn't mind that sound getting more popular nowadays... though I know some of you will hate me for that
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

i think the only 80's sd sounds i still like to listen to is from PC/genesis records, Yes, The Police or Alan Parsons Project, now APP's sound was compressed but still breathes a lot and sounds real good... also Quincy Jones' stuff from the 80's always sounded pretty good... but obviously i am talking about the exceptions... the basic whitesnake SD sound to me was bad at the time and i still haven't changed my mind on that...

once in a while i like to use that gated sound... if the song asks for it.
Old 15th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudevico View Post
I'm talking about for example the snare in Whitesnakes is this love. Lots and lots of reverb! Personally, I can't take it, and I'm interested if there is anyone out there who can.
Hated it then; hate it now (the sound -- I wasn't particularly aware of the song because I avoided that kind of music).

In the WS song, at least it's not as abruptly gated as some of the worst of that sound... I chalk the omnipresence of the sound up to the then-new availability of digital reverb -- but when I was in school in the early/mid 80s -- before the sound had become quite the cliche it did, we were using gates on our plate, cranking the high end up. We never went nearly that far (as in "Is This Love?") -- our instructor pointed out the technique as a way to give the impression of huge verb but still get the reverb tail out of the way for the next snare hit. But I remember thinking as I put on our 'class project' LP that I really hated that sound (which ended up getting used on probably 2/3 of the student-produced tracks) -- and that was c. 1985.

I think using 'fad' sounds is very much a two edged sword. It seems to be claiming "I'm hip" -- but it's really saying "I'm trendy and fad-driven." You sound contemporary -- for fifteen minutes. And after that you sound dated.

That said...
the way things get mixed-again (as opposed to a creative remix, eh?) and remastered every few years, I suspect we may well see some popular works from this era reworked down the road with better, more transparent vocal retuning. (What will be interesting will be if stuff that now is slathered with tuning-as-effect will be reworked to play it down as the sound is seen by more and more as dated sounding.)
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear