The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Expert Opinions: Repeating "One Shots" wavs vs real world repetitions
Old 19th November 2009
Need Expert Opinions: Repeating "One Shots" wavs vs real world repetitions

I am no audio expert but hopefully I can phrase this properly and let some audio techs take over and perhaps answer my inquiry.

Imagine I have a drum in a hall with a two second ambiance (ring out). I take the drum and sample it, recording a bunch of hits (strike it once and let it fade - repeat). Making a relatively decent sampling of the instrument - I chop it up and map it to my midi keyboard.

Now here is my question:

At a relatively fast brisk tempo I want to play my sampled drum and have it play something really active. However the problem is each time I play a note I get a 2 second ring out, if I play 10 notes in 2 seconds I get ten ring outs.

My question is: is this natural acoustically? Is it something I need to "tweak" -if so what would I do? Would a real drum have 10 "ring outs" being triggered in real life? Is this problem causing my sample drum to sound overly "hallish?"

Best regards and thanks for your responses.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

in a live drumming situation obviously all the reverbs of all the hits would mix in the room. The ability of the room to react to all this sound would be limited and the ring outs would 'mix together' rather than 'pile up'

I used to trigger a lot of samples and I found the accumulation of reverb tails in really long samples to be too 'linear'. It's not just the amount of reverb, it's the way each reverb tail just lies there on top of the previous one - with no 'blending', no 'interaction'.

you can usually set your sampler to cut off at the onset of the next hit, (how 80's!) or maybe mess with the decay of the one-shot.

I would re-record the samples much drier and add reverb later.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yet again Jo nails it.

Drop one pebble into a pond and you can roughly predict the result.
Drop two pebbles into the pond and all bets are off.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hey I had the same problem once, It was cured by using the the less verb plug in from SPL... needed automation as well but worked...

Dunno if it will help your cause...

Suda
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
I am no audio expert but hopefully I can phrase this properly and let some audio techs take over and perhaps answer my inquiry.

Imagine I have a drum in a hall with a two second ambiance (ring out). I take the drum and sample it, recording a bunch of hits (strike it once and let it fade - repeat). Making a relatively decent sampling of the instrument - I chop it up and map it to my midi keyboard.

Now here is my question:

At a relatively fast brisk tempo I want to play my sampled drum and have it play something really active. However the problem is each time I play a note I get a 2 second ring out, if I play 10 notes in 2 seconds I get ten ring outs.

My question is: is this natural acoustically? Is it something I need to "tweak" -if so what would I do? Would a real drum have 10 "ring outs" being triggered in real life? Is this problem causing my sample drum to sound overly "hallish?"

Best regards and thanks for your responses.

On your sampler you should have an attack and release? Also SPL transient designer should help with this as well?
Old 20th November 2009
in practice samplers have things called "voice groups" - so for example your snare rings out 4 times but after that the earliest one gets cut off each time a new snare hits, so at any one time only 4 voices on the sampler are taken up.

Won't necessarily sound the "same" as a real room being recorded, but should be close enough for most purposes.
📝 Reply