The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me spend 2k!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Help me spend 2k!

OK. So I have to write some stuff off this year and have about 2k to spend.

I'm leaning towards purchasing something in the mic/ mic preamp arena. What I have now is a rode k2, 2 shure sm81s and a akg c3000b. My preamp is a crappy voicemaster pro.

I definitely want a new preamp and maybe a new mic. I saw that Blue mic deal - buy a Kiwi get a free Robbie...seems like a great deal, but...I don't want to wait 2-3 months to get the new pre from Blue (that's what I hear as far as the wait) and it's only 1 line/mic in.

do i reeeeeeeeally need a Kiwi right now? or should I just put the 2k into a nice stereo pre that gives me more versatility? I'm not sure how good my k2 is anymore since I go through such a crappy pre. And, I run a digi 002, so I know that i'm getting hurt a bit on the a/d conversion too. When I want to record in stereo, should I suck it up and go straight into the 002?

Was thinking about maybe getting one of those SSL pres with the digital out.

Help me! Ideas!?

Thanks in advance!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

What's the rest of your setup?

Do you have a good pair of monitors?

How are your room acoustics? £1500 on some basic acoustic treatment and the rest on good budget microphones will sound FAR better than £2000 on mics...

As for mic choice - what are you planning on recording?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

I have treated my room already. I've got some nice bass traps and speaker iso. I have Event PS6 monitors. They seem to be doing the job rather well.

I will be mostly recording voice, guitars (electric and acoustic) maybe my piano sometimes, and a couple outboard synths (k2000, xv5050.)
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

I should also note....on the computer side, I'm set I think. I have a uad-1, a bunch of nice instrument plugs and a spankin new i7 setup. And I don't need a new guitar or amp, just got a Gibson SG and my Mesa is still rocking hard!!!

\m/ \m/
Old 19th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Are you recording yourself or your band? First off, you only have condenser mics and a good dynamic and / or ribbon can open up new worlds there depending on what kind of music you're doing.

If you're recording the same stuff over and over and something is falling short, I'd say figure out what's not coming across right and focus there.

If you're recording other bands then you have a severely limited mic collection!

War
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd personally get a ridiculously good mic for that kind of money and buy a nice preamp to keep it company.

The best mic you can afford for 1200 or less and then grab something like a Sebatron tube preamp.

Peace
Illumination
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

I am mostly recording myself...definitely no bands at the moment, no live drums or anything that complex. I don't see any strings or woodwinds coming to my home studio any time soon.

But yeah, I could use a couple 57's probably. I guess. I dunno.

I'm wondering if a preamp is going to make me find that K2 to be a much better mic than the voicemaster makes it out to be... and thus would rather put most of it into a good preamp...

so no one thinks that blue mics deal is an obvious choice huh? interesting...
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

So I've poked around and I'm leaning towards getting an API A2D...I'm very close to buying it

I thought more people would have input...guess not...hmm.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

I ended up buying an A Designs Pacifica! In case the 19 of you who glanced at this thread care. :-) Can't wait!

Anyone want to buy a voicemaster pro give me a pm!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishMedia View Post
I have treated my room already. I've got some nice bass traps and speaker iso. I have Event PS6 monitors. They seem to be doing the job rather well.

I will be mostly recording voice, guitars (electric and acoustic) maybe my piano sometimes, and a couple outboard synths (k2000, xv5050.)
Maybe a pair of decent LDC's (AKG C414s if you have a piano and acoustic gtr's) + a decent 2-channel preamp (Portico?)..
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Smart move!

thumbsup
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear