The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools 7 vs Logic 9 questions / advice?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Pro Tools 7 vs Logic 9 questions / advice?

I am wanting to upgrade my small recording rig from doing acoustic guitar to small band set ups. I eventually want to have 16 I/O with 4 great mic pre's (for kik/snare/oh's) and view to adding better pre's when I get the money. Any advice / opinions / help greatly appreciated. Sorry if there are any stupid questions.

At the minute I have the following gear:
Mac Book Pro
002 rack running PT LE 7
Focusrite Trackmaster Pro
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver
Mbox 2
Guitar Pods
Lots of mics / pedals etc

My dilemma being whether to stay with Pro Tools or move to logic 9 (more tracks / zero latency etc)

I have decided I am going to buy 4 nice pre's - either API 3124 or Daking Mic Pre IV.

PRO TOOLS ROUTE
If i keep the 002 and Pro Tools system I can put these pre's into the 4 line ins on the 002 and I will have 10 inputs for recording.
Then I will need to buy an ADAT interface to give me the extra 8 I/O (to take me up to 16 inputs) preferably with pre's.
I have been looking at the RME Octamic II and the Audient ASP008 for this purpose. Am i right in saying that any interface with an ADAT out (be it a firewire interface or not) is useable for this? So the signal comes in is converted and then goes to 002 rack and PT.

Also what are my clocking options? As the 002 does not have word clock capabilities can I clock from the interface i get (if it's better) if it has ADAT in and out?

LOGIC ROUTE
I could sell my 002 and some other gear `(guitars etc) and get the 4 mic pre's (API or Daking), Logic 9 and either the RME or Audient.

How would these units hook up to the computer?
What are my connection options with my Macbook Pro? Do I need to buy an interface with firewire?
I think I can use my Mbox with logic as well so I would still have 10 inputs (8 from RME or Audient / 2 from Mbox) 4 of these would be using the API/Daking Pre's. The next step would be to buy another 8 I/O interface. Can I daisy chain two RME/Audients to conncet to computer? And can I keep adding more and more of these as I go along? With the 002 I would be restricted to 16 I/O but with logic I could keep adding I/O??????

Also if I can run logic on the Pro Tools route (through 002) anyways is there any point in going down the Logic route????

Also if anyone wants to advise on any gear in my initial price range of £1000-£2000 most welcome?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 19th November 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

I am currently in a similar situation. Here is what I am doing:

Instead of upgrading my PT system to HD (for routing and expansion reasons) I am going to Logic 9 and slowly investing in the Symphony system from Apogee.

If you purchase a Rosetta 200 (or 800) you can connect it to your 002R (like me) and clock your hardware to the Rosetta and use your 002r as the front-end to either PT or Logic. Then, you can purchase the Symphony 64 card and connect it to your Rosetta 200, 800, DA-16, AD-16 thus giving you 64 channels of I/O. If you need to then use PT for whatever reason, you can still clock PT and your 002R to the apogee stuff.

It's a win/win way to go because it allows you to build an extremely versatile system without plunging all your capital into one purchase - AND - you will still be able to use Logic and PT. Eventually, with the symphony card, you will not need the 002r with Logic but it's worth keeping around if you need to run a PT session.

Apogee Electronics > Products > Symphony Mobile
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
I am currently in a similar situation. Here is what I am doing:

Instead of upgrading my PT system to HD (for routing and expansion reasons) I am going to Logic 9 and slowly investing in the Symphony system from Apogee.

If you purchase a Rosetta 200 (or 800) you can connect it to your 002R (like me) and clock your hardware to the Rosetta and use your 002r as the front-end to either PT or Logic. Then, you can purchase the Symphony 64 card and connect it to your Rosetta 200, 800, DA-16, AD-16 thus giving you 64 channels of I/O. If you need to then use PT for whatever reason, you can still clock PT and your 002R to the apogee stuff.

It's a win/win way to go because it allows you to build an extremely versatile system without plunging all your capital into one purchase - AND - you will still be able to use Logic and PT. Eventually, with the symphony card, you will not need the 002r with Logic but it's worth keeping around if you need to run a PT session.

Apogee Electronics > Products > Symphony Mobile

thanks for reply
this is well over my budget though. rosetta 200 is £1200 and for that i get 2 convertors. i know they're great but i need pre's as well. i am hoping to upgrade converters much later on down the line once i have some nice pre's and enough to cover 16I/O.
Old 19th November 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

In that case, I'd just use what you have (the 002r) with the mic pres that you want and maintain versatility between Logic and PT. Also, there are a large number of used converters that are well within your price range from 2ch to 8ch. Combined with the Daking or API pres you mentioned, this will still give you room to grow if you need to.
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougens View Post
thanks for reply
this is well over my budget though. rosetta 200 is £1200 and for that i get 2 convertors. i know they're great but i need pre's as well. i am hoping to upgrade converters much later on down the line once i have some nice pre's and enough to cover 16I/O.
I dont know about the zero latency thing. Logic has latency issues just like every other DAW. Thats just inherent to recording in the digital domain.
You can always configure pt to minimize latency while tracking and if you upgrade to pt8 LE you get up to 48 stero tracks.

Check out Black Lion Audio... they'll completely Mod out your Digi002 for $845 - $1250.00 US. They swap out the converters, the power supply and the internal clock with top quality components. They've done A/B Tests with the moded Digi002 and the stock Digi002 and posted audio samples online. I think this might be a better investment for you rather than switching DAWs. Definitely the most bang for your buck.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles_4u2 View Post

Check out Black Lion Audio... they'll completely Mod out your Digi002 for $845 - $1250.00 US. They swap out the converters, the power supply and the internal clock with top quality components. They've done A/B Tests with the moded Digi002 and the stock Digi002 and posted audio samples online. I think this might be a better investment for you rather than switching DAWs. Definitely the most bang for your buck.
The thing is though I am looking for pre's and and extra 8 I/O now. Then I can upgrade converters later. i plan on having 16 I/O and bypassing the pre's on either the octamic or audient with the new mic pre's later on (i want to get the lunchbox) and just use those converters........i won't be upgrading just coverters (without pre's for some time i'm afraid)
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

Oh okay... Gotcha.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

any opinions / advice?
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

why don't you get the RME fireface 800? It has great pres from what I hear from people here. And it runs standalone or as your primary interface, so you can use it with or without the 002!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishMedia View Post
why don't you get the RME fireface 800? It has great pres from what I hear from people here. And it runs standalone or as your primary interface, so you can use it with or without the 002!
Thanks. I have been looking at the RME Fireface 800 all day and I think the route I am going to go down now is this:

Sell:
002 rack
Trackmaster Pro
Guitar Pods

Buy:
Daking Mic Pre IV
RME Fireface 800
Motu 8Pre

Use the RME as my main interface running Logic with 4 RME pre's and the 4 Daking Pre's in the other 4 ins. Sync the Motu 8pre to this via ADAT and away I go.
That way I have 16 I/O with pre's, much better converters and pre's and I can expand this further.

Any thoughts / opinions on this?

Thanks
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear