The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which studio monitors...?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

Which studio monitors...?

Hi,

I need a recommendation on which studio monitors to choose.

The music teacher at our local primary school is going to buy some studio monitors, and he has contacted me for advice. He has to buy them from our local music store. They have the following in the desired price range:

- Genelec 6010A
- KRK VXT8
- SLX audio M-606
- Roland DS-5

He asked me which ones I would choose, but I haven't got much experience with studio monitors, so I hope you can help me!

I would appreciate any decent comment! Thanks!
Old 19th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

If I could only choose from those 4 I'd likely take the KRK 8".

Those little Genelec are actually nice for a compact setup, but the 8" KRK would deliver the best overall picture of a mix it seems.

War
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

In order of preference:

• KRK VXT8

The little Genelecs are great for their size, but I wouldn't trust them to put a mix together - they're more like really, REALLY good desktop HiFi speakers.

I wouldn't touch the other two with a barge pole TBH.

All I would say is, the KRKs seem to be the odd one out in terms of pricing - they're not exactly cheap - around $1000 for a pair (which doesn't make sense for a primary school).

KRK's RP5 or RP6 would be more suitable IMO.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

I recently went to GC and tried all of the 500-$2000 range Ref Monitors .
I went there about 4 different times, with Steely Aja , Styx Paradise theater,
Pantera Vulgar display, Eagles Long Run, Back in Black, Rumours, Toby Keith Shock'n y'all ,Beastie boys boutique. Dixie Chicks

On the 5th visit, I left with HS80's . To me they sounded the most level in the bass, mids and highs every time. They also seemed to reveal more of smaller details I never realized were in the music, things slightly off center or L/R placment or a very quiet background instrument you never even knew was there. I tried the more expensive dynaudio's also but In my subjective opinion, the HS80's were still the more true.

The KRK, last years model rp8 and the newly released vxt8's both sounded more hyped in the bass, which does sound better FOR LISTENING, DANCING, PARTYING, but not for monitoring and creating your mix. But I didnt think either of them were as flat and true. The Mackie 8's, the M-audio 8's and the rest all seemed not quite as flat. I also went over to the $1000 and up area and those sounded no more flat or true than the HS 80.

One monitor which I didn't get to try was the Adam 7 , I think they are about another $200 each but I've heard nothing but good about them. They have a ribbon tweeter. They're another $400 which i need elsewhere and I don't think you'd go wrong with the HS 80's, you cound spend thousands on Ref monitors but I think with the HS80, you're in the ballpark. . Ya gotta go down there with like 5 CD's that are unarguably a "Good Mix" and of different genre's and listen to all of them a/b'ing between them. Leave, come another day and do again, and again. Get a general concensus online but listen for yourself. I read all the posts and I was set on KRK's, I never even thought about the HS80's . Sweetwater has good prices if the local guy cant get. And no, Im not a rep pushing Yamaha, I'm a pharmacist, I sometimes wonder about bias on boards, Lol. I hope this helps you ! (my subjective opinion, everyone has one)

Good Luck !!! I wish I could A/B the digital mixer's I need to buy soon, Lol !!!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

Thank you, guys!
As I said he can only choose between those in the local store.
Now I know I can recommend the KRKs.
Thanks again!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

If you can pay a little more and get the Dynaudio Bm5a you should do it. Very accurate and very balanced. I have them and really like them. I don't know if I have ever heard a single bad thing about them.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear