questions on my modest monitoring chain
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

questions on my modest monitoring chain

Hello, I recently set up the following as a monitoring chain:
Tascam cd-01u - via optical to
Lavry DA10
Mackie HR824. original one not mkII
I'm listening to a lot of commercial cds for reference trying to learn this chain. All of it is solo acoustic guitar, guitar and voice, or at most small folk ensembles. Room is lightly treated with six 2x4 705frk traps. I listen at a modest level and don't feel I'm engaging the room much. I know the HR824 is not highly regarded here but it's what I have. Compared to my home system( Klipsch kg-1 and NAD 35wattt amp), I note the following:
High end much less hyped. Sounded bass heavy at first, but over time it's that the high end is more realistic.
Much greater seperation and clarity.
Wider and more obvious stereo image.
What I don't find anywhere are any air band frequencies. So my questions are, can this system reproduce air band freqs? What would be some commercial cds where they would be obvious? How about test cds? How can I test the system, and how can I test my hearing short of the audiologist? thanks in advance.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
can this system reproduce air band freqs?
"Air band frequencies" is not very specific. To me that's the range from maybe 5 or 8 KHz up to 20 KHz. Yes, I'm sure your system can reproduce those frequencies accurately.

You mentioned having bass traps, but do you also have absorbers at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points? That's critical for hearing mids and highs accurately.

Quote:
How can I test the system, and how can I test my hearing short of the audiologist?
Here are my recommendations for room measuring software:

Room EQ Wizard, Windows and Linux, Freeware
ETF, Windows, $150
FuzzMeasure, Mac, $150
Using ETF explains how I use ETF, but the principles apply to all such programs.
Comparison of Ten Measuring Microphones

Testing your hearing is more difficult. I suggest you play sine waves going higher and higher noting where you can't hear them anymore. Maybe start at 10 KHz and go up in 1 KHz increments.

--Ethan
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Ethan for the info and links. I've got lots of reading to do. I think I'm talking about 12 to 16k. If anyone has links to well labeled sine wave files I'd be appreciative. greg
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear