The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midas Venice into Macbook Pro
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Midas Venice into Macbook Pro

Hey,

I have a Midas Venice 160 (or 240) at my disposal, and my Macbook Pro (firewire and express34), as well as a 003R.

Was wondering, because my 003R sucks in terms of usable inputs and outputs,
I want to be able track up to 16 channels (240) simultaneously (12 minimum) and then send back out into the Venice for mixdown (16)

What can i use as a 16/16 ADA that sounds okay without costing more than the mixer? (i can get it at about $2500 for the 160)
I don't mind moving away from Protools, into Logic, its just a storage/editing medium then.

All i'm looking for is balanced line in/out and a connection to my Macbook Pro.
even if i have to daisy chain two 8 channels together.

Any Advice?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Oh, and i would like to run at 96kHz, so the ADAT in on the 003R does 48kHz.
And its only 8 channels I/O.

Besides, i don't want to have a whole bunch of ADAT and S/pdif converters attached to the 003R, that seems like a waste of space and a hassle to patch/route.

Thanks
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

If it weren't for the 003 I'd suggest running the Midas -> Converters (apogee 8 ch x 2?) -> M-Audio Lightbridge -> Pro Tools M-Powered.

I'm not too familiar with the 003 but what about running 8 channels into the 003 pre's, and the other 8 Midas channels into an 8ch converter then into the 003's ADAT?
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I've pretty much come to this:

cause i don't need all 16 channels to track (max 12)
I can use the 4 line ins on the 003, and an 8 channel adat interface (might have an Echo Layla at my disposal soon) for 8 direct outs from Midas.
With mixing, i have 8 outs on the 003, so i can use the Layla (or similar) for the other 8 out of ADAT, back into the venice.

So i think i will be okay

It's just another piece of gear i have to buy, instead of being able to buy only what i need. Ie, i would love to have PT software, an analog desk, a D-Sub I/O, and firewire to my Macbook.

Anyway, thanks for reading, i'll just use what i have for now and go track some music.
I'm actually driving myself crazy with all the options to record a song or two.
I'm trying to streamline my setup so i don't have to think about it too much, but doing that is quite hard. All the while i want a decent signal path, so you have to think about cost/quality per channel vs number of channels.

Later.

p.s. hope to get some initial trial tracking done this weekend, so 4 channels is cool
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashbrown View Post
I have a Midas Venice 160 (or 240) at my disposal, and my Macbook Pro... What can i use as a 16/16 ADA that sounds okay...
I'd see if you can source two vanilla Metric Halo 2882 boxes at a good price.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I'd see if you can source two vanilla Metric Halo 2882 boxes at a good price.
I agree about something like a 2882.( although I am not sure you can get 16 channels of them i/o with a digi 003 - maybe 10 metric halo with adat and spdif and another 8 through the 003) better converters by far and that will make a difference.
I have a midas venice which I really like but I have stopped going OTB since getting MH gear because the 80 bit summing engine sounds really good.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear