The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro tools plug in automating queston
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Pro tools plug in automating queston

Um, how exactly do I do it? I'm lost, scouring the manual. I've only been using Pro Tools seriously for about a year. But I really haven't mixed anything for real in it up until now.

I can't seem to figure it out. I can't enable read automation and get it to record me moving knobs on screen, or utilize my midi controller. I can however write automation in an automation track.

So sorry, total Newb question. i swear I've been living inside of Nuendo for the last 10 years. This is the first time I couldn't figure something out in Pro Tools that I wanted to.

Thank you for any help.
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear
This explains it better than I could in a single post... Maybe try watching it then posting questions if you are confused?

YouTube - Pro Tools - Automation
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear
this video starting at 1:50 might have more of what you are looking for...

YouTube - Digidesign Pro Tools Plug-In Automation Basics
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Will do, thank you.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok, that's great. Been doing that all along with synths. I can't seem to get say a delay in an insert in a buss to automate by moving it's functions. I have auto enable plug in automation enabled.
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear
I don't know if I'm understanding correctly or not so I'll try to see if the following example helps you.

Automation for aux tracks works the same as it does on audio tracks.

1. Say I set up a stereo aux track with the the inputs being bus 3-4.

2. I insert D-verb as the plugin on the inserts of the aux track.

3. I use "Send A" on an audio track, let's say "Lead Vox" to the to aux track.

4. I open the plugin on the aux track and go to the automation menu (just like on an audio track). I double click on "dry/wet" in the left column and it moves to the right column.

5. On the AUX TRACK I select "write" from the automation menu.

6. I play the song and slide the dry/wet fader (or in this case the actual fader is called "mix".

7. When I play back all of the automation is there.

Make sense?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wow, ok. Figured it out. I'm going to guess this is normal. I had to open up the automation window and engage the plugin button.

So used to nuendo and it just happening... Sorry

Thanks for the help
Old 19th November 2009
You can also use these shortcuts to get it happening faster:

Control + Option + Command + CLICK on any control in any plug-in - This will bring up a small menu that allows you to enable the control for automation (without going into the "auto" menu).

If you ever want to write the automation yourself, just Control + Command + Click on any enabled parameter and PT will display the automation envelope.
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post

Control + Option + Command + CLICK on any control in any plug-in - This will bring up a small menu that allows you to enable the control for automation (without going into the "auto" menu).

If you ever want to write the automation yourself, just Control + Command + Click on any enabled parameter and PT will display the automation envelope.
THESE were extremely helpful keyboard shortcuts. Thanks for sharing. Is there a page where I can find a list of all the keyboard shorts for all the Pro Tools windows ? (Midi Editor, Mix, Edit windows etc) ?
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post

This made getting around PT automation so much easier when I found these shortcuts.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear