The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
protools hd1
Old 19th November 2009
protools hd1

so on a very budget project, i will be mixing with an HD system and a few pieces of outboard. oh and a folcrum summing mixer.

for folks who have worked with these limitations (hd1) was it a huge pain, or could you make it happen?

i havent work with anything less than hd3 in a really long time.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

If you're used to HD3 then it'll probably take some getting used to, but I don't think it'll be too bad. It'll depend on a couple things, in my opinion:

if it's low budget that usually means fewer tracks. If that's the case, it'll save you dsp.

What kind of host computer you're using. If you're using mainly plugins, hopefully you can run 90% rtas.

If you're using lots of plugins that carry tons of latency, you might run into trouble combining the voice count and delay compensation and plugins onto a core card.

When I first moved to HD, all I could afford was an HD1. I was opening the system usage window so much, I was dying for a key command to open it. Knowing I had a definitive ceiling made me so much more aware of how many plugins I was using. Now with HD3, it's rare that I open the system usage window, unless I'm just curious to see where I'm at dsp-wise.

I'm sure you'll do fine, it'll probably just take a bit of number-checking and diligence.
Old 19th November 2009
yeah i am just going to have to be easy with verbs and delays. i often mix with +5/-5 pitch shifts. that will probably have to go, or printed.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear