The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beez Neez James & Jade Mics Condenser Microphones
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Beez Neez James & Jade Mics

Hello,

My question goes out to those who own, or have worked with/heard both of these mics.

Can you give me an idea of the sonic differences betweeen them? Is one more colored in it's tone etc.

I'm going to get one of these and at this stage it is a bit like flipping a coin.

Thanks for helping a brother out!

Liam.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Bump.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

email/pm 'mics'. he should be able to help you as he designed/owns the mics.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

You can also do a search for beesneez in the high end. There was a great shoot out. There were/are samples from a James, Jade, and an Arabella, I
believe.

That was what swung me to get a James. I considered the Jade but from the
clips that mics (Ben of beesneez) posted, I chose the James. The Jade has
more top end. The James is a warm mic and is a bit mid forward. It has no
excessive top nor does it bloom in the bottom. I think the Jade would be more
of a modern sound.

Rob
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks Robert.

That's just the kind of info I want.

Sounds like the James is for me, bitches!

I assume your enjoying yours Robert?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I love my james. i cant get enough of it. it usually kills any other mic ive got for vox.(and i have a couple to choose from)

the only thing that i just noticed on it was a little bit of high pitched noise. it may not have been the mic. it may have been the pre, or just the fact that the accoustic guitarist was picking soooooooooo quietly. i have not had time to check where the fault is.

anyway after my session with it the other night i want another for a stereo pair of overheads. mmmmmmmm smoooth.

i might try and post some clips of it if i get any time soon.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I own a Jade and like the mic very much. I don't know that you will have too much success finding people with experience using both the James and the Jade. Being that they are a custom order company, you can't grab both from the store to put them through their paces side by side. Sure, there are shootouts posted in this forum with sample recordings of each to compare the two, but that is not the same as actually using the two mics in the real world. I bought my Jade after speaking with Ben Sneesby about what I need to hear from the mic for my needs etc.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

Just got my "James".

I've been trying it on acoustic and Vox.

IT sounds great. VERY dark, in my opinion. Its the only valve mic I own, so my opinion comes from this context. I own an AEA R88, Blue dragonfly Deluxe, EV RE20, etc. The James is nothing like any of them.

Listen to the first track on Wilco's "Sky Blue Sky" album. The lead vocal, I think, demonstrates the flavour of the james. Its low, mid-rangey and clear. Many have said that its sits in a mix well. I found that to be terrifically true. I retracked vocals ona tune I had trouble with. The James sat in a space totally uninhabited by all of the other instruments.

I'd suggest that this isn't your mic if you are looking to buy a shimmery, vivid mic. But if you want smooth, smokey, warm and clear, bperhaps its for you.

Love mine.

And the new bodies are honestly gorgeous, built masterfully.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

my James

I have a James I bought last winter from Ben. I thought I'd get used to it's "mid forwardness",which is what I kinda like about it, but now I think it may have issues. It seems to have low output(I have to crank my preamps(Great River,Pacifica,etc.) more than for any other mic I have, and it has not much low end unless you really really get within an inch on it, then it seems to bottom out the diaphragm. Wish I could confirm all this w/o sending it back to AussieLand.

Martin
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict

hhmmmm.

well, I was very surprised also by how much gain is required. I crank my TG channel most of the way, also. I expected a much hotter signal. It seems to require as much, or more, gain than many dynamics.

As far as the tone, perhaps you could just record a clean sample and send it to Ben for an unscientific test.

blake
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimersnerdy View Post
I have a James I bought last winter from Ben. I thought I'd get used to it's "mid forwardness",which is what I kinda like about it, but now I think it may have issues. It seems to have low output(I have to crank my preamps(Great River,Pacifica,etc.) more than for any other mic I have, and it has not much low end unless you really really get within an inch on it, then it seems to bottom out the diaphragm. Wish I could confirm all this w/o sending it back to AussieLand.

Martin
Hi Y'all,

I though i'd better chime in and give a few explanations.

The James does have a lower output than many other condenser microphones, this is for a few reasons.

1, the James' B+ voltage is lower than many mics being set at 115V whereas most are 150+. This was common practice in the 50's and 60's but these days manufacturers prefer the Latter.

2, the James does not have a cathode coupling capacitor

3, the James uses an output transformer with a high turns ratio (10.5:1)

These factors combined are what give the James it's character. You may feel that the James is way quieter than most tube mics however this is not the case, it just feels that way. the output of the James is only 4db lower than the Arabella.

cheers
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

the way you guys are describing the James kinda reminds me of my recently BN modded Peluso 47LE. a much more real sounding low end than the Peluso, way more forward and aggressive(yet smooth) midrange, and also a more natural warm highend. I am finding vocals are sitting much better in mixes now off the bat. this BN modded Peluso now has a ton of character. our goal with the mod was to make the Peluso sound more like a real deal 47.

I've never tried a James, though. How would you compare the sound of the James to the Peluso you modded for me, Ben? I know the James has the k47c capsule while my Peluso has the k47. Maybe mine sounds more like the Sally since theyre both using the k47.

loving the mic, Ben!!
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
I am finding vocals are sitting much better in mixes now off the bat.
I find this a very interesting observation and am keen to hear more. Maybe its true that so many high frequency hyped mics of late have created mixing problems without us being so cogniscant of it. Perhaps the darker James style is an intersting propsition.

Please help me understand more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search