The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading for better converter, pro 40 to tango 24
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Upgrading for better converter, pro 40 to tango 24

I have a focusrite pro 40 and looking for better converter, I could have a good deal on a tango 24, do you think it wou;d really improved my sound. I don't need 96khz so I would be ok with only 48. The pro 40 can be use in standalone so do you think it is a good idea to use the pre of the focusrite, then go in the tango, and go back in adat in the pro40 to get to the computer?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Not sure about the tango, but a Lynx Aurora might be worth looking at. Its not quite as expensive as Prism, Lavry etc, but is in the Mytek / Benchmark park. They sound awesome! Ive heard the SSL alphlink is incredible value for money (something like £2000 for 24 channels!) and if the conversion is the same as the alpha channel, it sounds really good.thumbsup
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
The pro 40 can be use in standalone so do you think it is a good idea to use the pre of the focusrite, then go in the tango, and go back in adat in the pro40 to get to the computer?
I believe Frontier converters (Tango) are a bit better but not enough to justify such a complex chain.

Quote:
Not sure about the tango, but a Lynx Aurora might be worth looking at.
Hell yeah! But that would probably lead to an inevitable purchase of better pres and since OP is considering $350 converters, Aurora ($2500) and new pres ($1200 - inf) might be a bit out of reach... Or is it?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez View Post
I believe Frontier converters (Tango) are a bit better but not enough to justify such a complex chain.

Hell yeah! But that would probably lead to an inevitable purchase of better pres and since OP is considering $350 converters, Aurora ($2500) and new pres ($1200 - inf) might be a bit out of reach... Or is it?

Oooh. Sorry bout that

Definitely would be worth saving up for though! I swear the aurora sounds better than the prism orpheus.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

it's sure that if I had money for the aurora 8 or the rosetta 800 I would buy one, but for the moment I don't have and I don't think I will have soon, since I'm thinking upgrading to leopard snow (I'm on tiger) so 160$, and then 250$ for upgrading for logic 9. I need new hard drive... you know. I could have a tango for 300$ can. so is it a good deal?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
I could have a tango for 300$ can. so is it a good deal?
Actually, I've seen them sell for less.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
Actually, I've seen them sell for less.
thanks for the advice
📝 Reply