Old 8th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
another AT fan here.

(2) Pro 37r
(1) AT4033
(1) AT4041

and a pair of ATH-M50 headphone that I love.

I'd love to add a 4047 at some point.
how do you like that pro 37r? i just sold mine because it only really shines on bass cab. a combo of the 4047 and a 441 outdid the pro 47r on that task for me.
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear Addict

At 4031

My go to mic. for snare is the AT 4031...now replaced by the 4041. it has a beautiful top end, and hardly needs EQ on a great-sounding well-tuned snare, PLUS it can take a lot of SPL for a SDC. Absolutely stunning for jazz!
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear Head

Another thumbs up for the 4047.
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Addict

I've told friends for years how amazing this microphone is. Hard to believe a mic this good is only $650. I dont know of too many mics out there at this cost to quality ratio.

I tell a lot of musicians who are on a budget that they can't go wrong with either a 4047 or 4050 as a first microphone for their studio, and that they might wind up using it for years even after purchasing more expensive models.

The Shure KSM44 is also a fantastic bang for the buck. I actually prefer it to the average U87.
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Head

Somehow I don't find any information abiut the 4047MP, it should be there quite some time now. Nobody has any experience with those? Does it have the same sound in cardiode as the normal 4047?
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Curious myself. The 4047MP are one of the few multi pattern mics I want but I haven't heard enough reviews about it yet...
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Head

I downloaded the SOS review of the 4047MP and the review was very positive and the mic was similar to teh single pattern version, except for a slightly lower sensitivity and slightly higher SPL..

Just orderd 2 of them!
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Head

Please let us know how you like them.
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Guru

I don't think I've EVER made a record without AT mics.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

I just purchased a new AT 4047MP and a UA 6176 based upon the all the positive feedback I have heard about these two units.

I am going to be sampling some VINTAGE instruments (and amps) and wanted some HQ stuff with high SPL. Seems that this combo is exactly what I need.

The hardware just arrived and after some TLC on the vintage instruments, will be sampling an old Hammond T soon. Can't wait to hear the results.

Jim
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

The 4033 always sounded great on my particular acoustic guitar but I always thought it sounded real generic on vocals - overly bright and brittle, especially with digital recording. Lately though I've been using it with the Seventh Circle Neve clone pre and have been really enjoying it. Makes me want to try the other models.

Just by weird chance I discovered years ago that a certain audio technica gooseneck mic (U857QL) is the best match for my singing voice (and I've used everything from 87s to 47s to 414s to gefell um70s over the years). So AT had my attention even though I've never chosen that particular mic for anyone else's voice.

I'm a total believer in matching a mic to a voice. I'm getting better at guessing but generally I will try 4 or 5 mics on a singer before choosing and the results are sometimes surprising and generally agreed upon by those listening back (also surprising).
Old 31st August 2011

Used the 4033 for years, and made a ton of great records with it.

Then I found it's limitation when I started hitting it with high SPLs.

It simply doesn't handle that stuff. It's rated to handle really high SPLs,
but when that mic distorts, it's not pretty.

So I switched to a MP LDC tube mic, and that solved that.

All in all, though - the 4033 served me beautifully and faithfully for years.

I remember reading Allan Parsons (in Mix, perhaps?) calling that mic his new favorite. He was sick of the U87 sound everyone had been using for years. And at that time, I agreed. I did like U87s for acoustic piano, drum OH's, etc., but had not been getting what I wanted from them for vocals.

Anyway, whatever works - I still have another 4033 I'll be selling. I just don't use them anymore.

Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

A few months ago, I bought three 2035s for under $100 each. They are set up around the drums Glynn Johns-style, and get pulled all over the place during overdubs. I've used them on just about every type of contemporary music source (drums, perc, el and ac gtr, bass, vox, keys) and they never, ever sound bad. Phenomenal value.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
I have loved AT for about 30 years, but jeez, I'd never admit it here.

Oh, crap, I just did...
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

I love my at4047! Can be nice on certain voices, and many other things
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

AT have always made good quality, affordable microphones.

They are a genuine microphone company and not one who blindly copies other people's designs.

I have great respect for them.

No, they are not the best; but what you get for your money with AT is always good value.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

Have had a 4033 almost since they came out and a 4060 for about 10 years.

From my perspctive the 4033 is excellent on acoustic guitars. Pretty good on drum overheads and pretty decent on some vocalists. And pretty darn good on bass amps too. Mine has been used a lot over the years.

I think the 4060 is an excellent mic. Its not as sexy sounding as some tube mics but its very true to the source. You can get the "sexy" by running it through the right preamp. I actually like it a lot through an old Langevin AM16 or a custom built tube preamp. Not sure why these don't get more attention.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

ive been using the at813 at my churh for overheads and getting unbelievable results. its the only overhead mic and it always sounds like i have mutiple mics on the kit. and i have some type of kinda cheapo audio technica on the kick. getting cool results! only 2 mics! Take a qwik listen!
Attached Files

8:7:11.mp3 (2.69 MB, 392 views)

Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

btw, if someone has a match to the at813 please let me know!! sounds gr8 with one of them. anxious to see how it sounds with 2!
Old 31st August 2011
urumita

AE5400
AE3000
ATM825
I've had a pair of 4051's next to a pair of B&K 4011's and there was very little difference until you started to smack'em. I've never found an attenuator to put behind the capsule, there must be one though. I stopped using them as overheads because of this. The ATM825 is great and it cost me $325 20 yrs ago. AE3000 sees the snare a lot (top and bottom), it has a pad. AE5400 was set up next to a VM-1 and held its own, really.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

At a minimum, give AT credit for making mikes using stringent production tolerances, at least for the higher model lines. They are consistent to begin with and stay that way over time.

You might also try the 4050 in figure-8 on vocals. Using that within the Quick Sound Field consistently works well for me on my lead vocal parts.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofajen View Post
At a minimum, give AT credit for making mikes using stringent production tolerances, at least for the higher model lines. They are consistent to begin with and stay that way over time.

You might also try the 4050 in figure-8 on vocals. Using that within the Quick Sound Field consistently works well for me on my lead vocal parts.

Cheers,

Otto
See what you guys have done (LOL), now I'm torn between the 4047 or the shure ksm32. Listening Ronans recording of the KSM32 really rocks.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anything in the 40xx range has a place in any studio. Obviously, variety is the spice...but AT is sure in the mix. ; )
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Maniac

@7rojo7...the original AT4051a didn't have a pad . The new AT4051b does. It can definitely be useful.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just a little update. I recently killed my 4047 using it as a kick out mic. Boy do I miss it...
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Addict

Hi Guys. I know most comments is about studio mics.

What is your thoughts or experiences with The AT AE 5400 for live vocals ( male and female ) in acoustic gigs?????? Know its got the same capsule as the 4050, 'm considering to buy a couple. Can't demo it in australie though.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

4033 is an interesting mic. Mid rage on this is kind of dark and it doesn't have peaky high mids like TLM102. This makes sound creamy and soft sounding. I don't like it's edge around 6-8khz but can be EQed out.
I like using it with tube pre.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear