The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need to confess... I'm falling in love with AT mics
Old 7th February 2010
Gear Guru

yeah i regret selling my 4047 and 4033.
Old 7th February 2010
Lives for gear
Any one that can provide some test recordings with the 4047?
Old 7th February 2010
Love 'em

I use a pair of 4050s for overheads and love them. I also love my 4047 for almost everything. The only thing I don't use ATs for is female vocals where I use a Pearlman TM-1.
Old 7th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I't seems that im having a luv hate relationship with my AT3035 that I just got. My vocal sits great in the mix and sounds close to finished BUT solod the vox are boring, but the songs sound right....Luv hate I guess.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmo View Post
I't seems that im having a luv hate relationship with my AT3035 that I just got. My vocal sits great in the mix and sounds close to finished BUT solod the vox are boring, but the songs sound right....Luv hate I guess.
To me it's all about context lately. The only reason I ever solo tracks is to get an estimate of S/N and to see what kind of problems I might run into with the track at mix stage. Like you may have the sickest snare sound on earth on your hands but if it's outta phase with OH you're ****ed no matter what...

And then again I couldn't tell ya how many times over the last year I would solo a track I would get from another tracking engineer and go 'oh boy, here we go' and then it would turn out placing it in the mix is almost effortless provided everything else is in its place.

For me the deal breaker was when I used 4047 to track vocals for a single that was later sent to a big-time mixer. It sounded great to me in tracking but I called him up while he was mixing the song anyway to see what he had to say about the vocal sounds in particular. He said they were fantastic and when I heard the mix I knew it wasn't just my ears playing tricks on me - ATs deliver...
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Addict

Not seeing a lot of love for the 4060, which is my primary vocal mic. It's an excellent mic. The noise floor is a bit high but you can swap out the tube (a telefunken in mine btw) for a quieter one.

The 4060 is lighter than the 4047 but it's not bright at all though it's actually a tad on the hard or clinical side, but it's a sound I find I can work with. It's very EQ friendly and not overly hyped anywhere.

We did an all day shootout with a slew of other mics and while it didn't win just about any of the things we sourced it was in the top 3 for just about everything.
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear

I like the 4060. And the 4047.

Last edited by Kris; 10th March 2010 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: love is to strong a word...
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
I agree, I have the 4047 and 4050 but the 4047 gets all the love at my place. I use it for all my overdubbing even though I have many more mics. GTR's, VOX and even bass amp. It's uber cool on toms especially the floor.
FWIW, just for grins I slapped a 4033 up on a small electric bass amp the other day and got an excellent track. The 4033 will be what I look to first from now on in that app. Only 2 inches away from the cab, off center.
Old 14th March 2010
I'm doing a session this weekend with a pop/punk band and decided to forgo my usual suspects for guitar tracking (Royer/Heil/Lawson/Neumann). I put both my 4047s on the two 4x12 cabs. It was one of the easiest guitar tones I've ever gotten (pre's were JFL MP F4 toobs).

I also used my 4050s as overheads through API pre's. Perfect.
Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

Anybody try out the 4050st yet?
Old 14th March 2010
Deleted User
on the AT mics I have had a 4050 for the longest.. will not trade my U87 or 414 BUT I will never think that the 4050 will not be a front runner for ANYTHING that the others will do...looking for a used 4060 now
Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann View Post
I used to record many VOs and audio books with a 4050 and I always enjoyed this mic. One day the head engineer decided we need Neumann - just for the name - and bought TLM103. I wasnΒ΄t too pleased...

Lol; I was guessing someone would bring up the TLM series in this context; I thought of it too. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but it's not my favorite Neumann either.

Like the OP, I am also of the old school that will use what 'serves the song', or vocal, in this case. I can't afford the really nice Neumanns my clients sometimes buy, but I've used them in the studio, as well as most of the AT mic line. I remember using the 4050 all the time on a variety of sources, and loving the result. I have a low-end AT2020 in my mic bag right now that does way better than I could have expected for the price. Low-end models are a good indicator of a brand's build quality, and I give kudos to AT for theirs.
Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

the 4050 is truly an amazing piece.

I try to support AT whenever I can because their products are world class. I have said this many times, I could go through my whole life using nothing but 4050s and be totally happy. i have never heard it sound bad. works great on everything from vocals to guitar cabs to percussion to everything else.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...tml#post766416
Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
the 4050 is truly an amazing piece.

I try to support AT whenever I can because their products are world class. I have said this many times, I could go through my whole life using nothing but 4050s and be totally happy. i have never heard it sound bad. works great on everything from vocals to guitar cabs to percussion to everything else.
+1
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Love my AT mics. I currently have -
2 x 4050
2 x 4041
1 x 4047
2 x Atm25
4 x atm450

I plan on getting another 4047 and I'd like to have at least 1 more atm-25. I absolutely love those on toms/kick. I prefer the 4050s over any 414's I've used although I've never got to use any of the older 414eb's.
Old 15th March 2010
I haven't had much experience with AT mics. They sound like the mics for me. Im looking for a good condensor mic to go with my e906 for recording low tuned heavy guitars through a vintech pre. Any suggestions on which AT mic to try?
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakson View Post
I haven't had much experience with AT mics. They sound like the mics for me. Im looking for a good condensor mic to go with my e906 for recording low tuned heavy guitars through a vintech pre. Any suggestions on which AT mic to try?
the 4050 sounds great on cabs.
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

The 4050 is a great mic. But would be about my last choice for a guitar cabinet. Trust me.

AT mics to me have a signature sound to them. ALL of them. Some may like that sound. But a bit on the grainy sound. The 4050 isn't grainy tho. The 4033 just slightly grainy but make great drum overheads.

I don't use any of the AT mics for lead vocal tho. But I love their mics in general.

The mics to use for loud guitar cabs are already discussed on here.

John
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
T
John

i
If a body cannot get a great sound with a 4050 on a GTR cab (and Voice) or any other instument...it aint the mic.. im telling you, it aint the mic. *it aint the mic*** hehhehheh

the 4050 is a swiss army knife. works on any and everything.

my favorite combination(well one of them) on cabs is a 4050 paired up with a 57.

the 4050 is a low noise, flat response, multi pattern rugged piece of kit.

what is not to love??

I had never used it on cabs until a musician (whom I am an enormous fan of and had the good fortune of meeting one night backstage as I was talking to his soundguy) told me that he used it live and in the studio(he uses it with a re20)... ive never heard it screw up anything. if it *did* it was because i didnt put it in the right place(and thats most always the problem anyway..)
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

you guys are making me lust for a 4050, or two.

I already have a pair of 4047s and I'm crazy about them.

-synthoid
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have a 4033a that I will never let go of. Some say "boring," I say honest. Gives me exactly what I hear all the time. If it needs excitement, I'll leave that to the musician. Or an eq.

I used a C414 as a workhorse for a while, that got replaced by a 4050.
Old 15th March 2010
Thank you very much for the replys. I think i will get a pair of the 4050 and a pair of the 4047. I have heard so many great things i just cant resist. Im really eager to try them out.
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Big Prrrrops to AT!!!

Love the 4050 / 4047s!!!

Even the 2020 is usable when more HF is desirable - as someone already said.

Just got another 47 today... aand looking for a 4060.

Solid stuff.

Carlos
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
FWIW, just for grins I slapped a 4033 up on a small electric bass amp the other day and got an excellent track. The 4033 will be what I look to first from now on in that app. Only 2 inches away from the cab, off center.

I have a few AT's..2x 4040's, 1x 4033a, and an ATM25.

The 4033a kills on bass and lives almost permanently on my 8x10 cab. I like it on toms too and pop/rock acoustic guitars get the 4033 often.

The 4040's have lived on OH's for awhile and also see use on acoustic guitars and sometimes vocals.

A client went out of town to cut some tracks at another studio. After living with the mixes for awhile stated that he really liked the vocal sounds from my 4040, API, ProVLA signal chain much better than the U87, Avalon 737 chain used at the other place.

I never really dug the 4033 for vocals, however I have cut several tracks with the 4060 which is a great mic as well. Check the tubes on that one though.

That's my random AT ramblings.
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

There's a 4047 in the gearslutz classifieds for $350. Not my sale, just thought I would let the AT fans know. I wish I had the extra jingle for it myself. But I just dropped a lot of dough on another mic.
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyreels View Post
There's a 4047 in the gearslutz classifieds for $350. Not my sale, just thought I would let the AT fans know. I wish I had the extra jingle for it myself. But I just dropped a lot of dough on another mic.
Sorry guys.. Just paid for it!!!
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Head

I have 2 AT4033's already 15 year old. Not expensive and versatile mic. They never let me down...

K
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

another AT fan here.

(2) Pro 37r
(1) AT4033
(1) AT4041

and a pair of ATH-M50 headphone that I love.

I'd love to add a 4047 at some point.
Old 8th May 2010
Gear Guru

as a new 2247 SE owner, I want to start a Peluso (!!) love thread. but since I'm shy about that I'll just share my AT love. I currently own

(2) 4047
(1) 4051a
(4) PRO 37
and an AT3035 in the legacy archives (haven't plugged it in in ages)

oh, and two ATH-M50 phones

looking out for a mate for my 4051 and am thinking seriously about a pair of AT4050 (see: this thread). also considering re purchasing a 4033 just to try on bass cabs and the usual acoustic guitar duty
Old 8th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
as a new 2247 SE owner, I want to start a Peluso

Do you like it?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear