The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What kind of Hammond organ is this?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

What kind of Hammond organ is this?

What kind of Hammond is this? do they record well?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of Hammond organ is this?-hammond.jpg  
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I am pretty sure that this is a M-111, one of the types in the M-100 series.
They record well if you know HOW to record a Hammond organ with or without a Leslie box....
If you have the Lesliebox as well, that probably will be a L-147.

Have fun !
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

There were a lot of models that looked like this. They were home organs.

They sound great, but not like a B3. Very warm and tubey, and if they have percussion (some don't) they can get a couple "like a B3" type sound.

I owned one for several years, a late 60s model (forget which), with percussion & spring reverb. It was the bomb on reggae (I think older reggae musta been on these, not B3s). Also sick on vibey smooth pads. The bass pedals are ridiculously huge on all these models, as long as the speaker is working properly. They are very cool sounding instruments, but they don't sound like a B3 through a Leslie. The sound is more like... mmmm... playing gospel in your living room.

If you're looking to buy it, you can ask the owner to look at the back of the organ. There's a little panel there with the model #. There are tons of Hammond enthusiast sites out there, so you should find some info.

btw, these organs are usually very cheap. I was given mine for free in return for picking it up. In other words, don't pay too much!
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Actually, looking again, it looks like my old organ, which I remember now was an L-100

http://www.pieranar.com/hammond/hamm...ond%20L100.GIF

They came in a few different frames. Mine was the one linked above, but this one looks like a different frame with the same controls.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

yeah i have to option to get it for free. I would have to get it up a flight of stairs tho....
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Yeah I had to go up (and later down) a flight with mine when I got it. Skinny steep stairs so only one person could be on the bottom... which of course was me.

I nearly killed myself going down. At one point the thing was tipping my way. Had we not caught it, I wouldn't be typing this message..

If you have a couple bucks, I recommend hiring a moving company to get it up those stairs!!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Check the organ bubbles on the last track of this page, "take a little time." He recorded my L-100 for that one. It's also on the track "Family." They're pretty raw honest recordings of the thing

Rob Jost on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for your help guys.
Listening to the tracks now...

-jeff
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Looks to be a L series Hammond - very nice spring reverb / drawbars & tabs!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

There should be a name plate on the back somewhere that says the model. I've got an L-100 and I really like it, I've used it heaps.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Still pretty sure it is a M-111.
The music stand on the L-100 is different.
If you have looked at the back side and found the modelnumber please let me know.
I have a bet with myself for a bottle of single malt whisky......
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Update - googled the M111 - that's what we have here. Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of Hammond organ is this?-m-111-1h.jpg  
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson View Post
Update - googled the M111 - that's what we have here. Go figure.
Ha, yeah that looks like it alright
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Told you so......
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would've guessed on L-100, or the like, too .. just no hammond authority

What a blast from the past .. I grew up with one of those .. dad had one standing in the "music room", still has actually. His was L-100, with a lesile cabinet. I still remember how cold and sterile it used to sound (without the leslie), sort of melancolic, solitaire and sad, how tall it was (I was small) and how cool it was to turn it on and off ... made a very distinct "breathing" sound. Holding a chord while turning it off made the notes fade and drop like half an octave pitch bend, and holding a chord while turning it on made the opposite.

He also has an accompanying analog drum module on top, wooden cabinetted and about the size of a 19 rack unit, definitely belonging to the organ. It has a knob for tempo and one for volume and about 15 white buttons with style name on them: bossa nova, calypso, rumba etc, and a coooool red diode which blinks in tempo ...

.. just being nostaglic
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I haven't seen it on person yet but from what you guys are saying it's the M-111.

from what you said (when you thought it was an L series) i was pretty interested in getting it.

Do any of you have any opinions on the sound of the M-111
thanks
-Jeff
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Yep that is an M-111 just like this one in my house. It doesn't have a leslie as there are no speed and chorus controls on the left front.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of Hammond organ is this?-hammond-m-111.jpg  
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

how do you like it?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear