The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Want to build a PZM
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Want to build a PZM

If there is a better forum, my apologies and please point the way...
I'd like to build PZM to mic a piano live and would prefer to explore this idea opposed to purchasing a Crown or RS option. I have a Tram lav mic sitting around
Anybody have experience fabricating a Plexiglas base and attaching a similar mic with good results?
TramMicrophones.com - Tram TR-50GXL+ | TR-TR50G-2.5MPL-ACC-PS+ | Lavalier Mic, Gray, With Micro-Lock 3/32" (2.5mm) Mono Plug, Positive Bias, Includes Detachable Power Supply, Carrying Case & Six Mic Clips

Thanks,
BruPri
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

Why not just stick them to the piano lid with masking tape - it will turn the tie mic. into a boundary mic. easily and without any plate to add edge diffraction problems - and easily removeable.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

That's an idea...and it would probably work well too!
I'm not fond of the battery case/amplifier/XLR connector that would be hanging. My thought was to mount the electronics and XLR connector to a plate that would tidy up the package and provide for some additional applications.

Thanks for the input, I may try that first!

BruPri
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I had 2-3 Grown glm-100 mics in my set for this kind of situations when doing TV documentaries. Instant PZM and not seen by the camera. No hanging cables as you tape and hide it also, much easier than hiding a xlr cable!

Matti
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear