The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Defense
Old 18th November 2009
Studio Defense

For most of members here it will be a funny topic, but my old studio here was in a dangerous neighbourhood (now i'm moving to a better area) and we didnt have the money to pay a security guard. So we had always two ready-to-use knives and a hidden 9mm - for emergencies -, luckly we never used them - except to cut some wires with the knives - and we never got robbed.

Any guys around with that kind of defense there?

Cheers from Rio :-D
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

No guns here in UK (or knives for me) , but we do have one of these :
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Probably not a bad idea for an engineer to be packing, especially midnight shift engineers.

I used to work at this studio where one of our engineers was tazed by the "clients," and tied up/gagged with duct tape to a chair, while the "clients" proceeded to clean the place out. He was found the next morning, still tied up.

True story.

-Ben B
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well, I (as well as most of my friends) have a CCW, and I don't leave the house without "hardware".

Obviously I'd never use lethal force to protect my gear, but around here, the "bad guys" would be just as likely to kill you as to tie you up; If it comes down to shoot, or be shot, I'd much rather be the one pulling the trigger.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen View Post
You guys must have some bad a$$ gear to want to die for it,.... or kill someone over it.

D
Well, if you are in a poor neighbourhood in Rio with U$30k in gear, well, you need protection. I'd prefer to pay a security guard, but that is expensive and in many cases innefective (probably as the 9mm was).
Old 18th November 2009
Deleted User
The element you attract is the direct result of your pricing. Jack it up and theyll disappear and youl have better clients. Pricing keeps the crap out . Now burglary, thats a diff issue.
Old 18th November 2009
You're probably right... But robbery is a bigger concern for me then burglary. We never had a single cable stolen. In fact is more common people forggeting pedals, cables and mp3 players then stealing stuff.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Filpansick View Post
Well, I (as well as most of my friends) have a CCW, and I don't leave the house without "hardware".

Obviously I'd never use lethal force to protect my gear, but around here, the "bad guys" would be just as likely to kill you as to tie you up; If it comes down to shoot, or be shot, I'd much rather be the one pulling the trigger.
+1 I have had a carry permit for over 5 years now and never go anywhere without it.
Old 18th November 2009
I had some duress alarm functions.

If forced at gun or knife point to open studio - key in special code - alarm will not ring - but it will call the alarm company - who call the studio - and if they dont hear the pre organized password - they call the cops, because they know you are being jacked!

I had a panic button underneath the console - it actioned the same thing.

I did have to option to have the action of pressing the panic button make the alarm siren sound - but me and the engineers figured the silent approach might be a tad 'safer' and anger an armed intruder less.

Customary mic stand part within in easy reach..

For about a two year period we were neighbors (about 5 doors down) from these guys in our alleyway ..

Refugee behind heroin trade jailed for 22 years - Times Online

until a huge raid er.. sent them all on a long vacation..
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen View Post
You guys must have some bad a$$ gear to want to die for it,.... or kill someone over it.

D

I'd just find it fun to be able to shoot someone dead in self defense.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I had some duress alarm functions.

If forced at gun or knife point to open studio - key in special code - alarm will not ring - but it will call the alarm company - who call the studio - and if they dont hear the pre organized password - they call the cops, because they know you are being jacked!

I had a panic button underneath the console - it actioned the same thing.

I did have to option to have the action of pressing the panic button make the alarm siren sound - but me and the engineers figured the silent approach might be a tad 'safer' and anger an armed intruder less.

Customary mic stand part within in easy reach..

For about a two year period we were neighbors (about 5 doors down) from these guys in our alleyway ..

Refugee behind heroin trade jailed for 22 years - Times Online

until a huge raid er.. sent them all on a long vacation..

We had that alarm too, but not with manual triggering. It works only if we are out of the studio.

Our neighbours were these:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...t-down-in-rio/

Luckly i'm on a new neighbourhood now.

Last edited by Subversounds; 18th November 2009 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: better link
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

New alarm getting installed this weekend - over 800.00 worth.

Worked at convenience stores while going to college and had a gun stuck in my face several times...not gonna happen in my own house. Cleanup in the tracking room A please!
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislpp View Post
Don't count on feeling the same way after the fact. I know people who have killed others on military duty. Those thoughts don't leave you so fast, and you can't say how you'll feel afterwards even if it's someone who may have "had it comin" You may decide later in life you did have a choice and the situation wasn't as dire as you thought.

Also there's the fact that a criminal you killed may be a gang member or something who has family or people that now want revenge. A life of looking over your shoulder would suck. I'd probably have to move away and change my name to feel better. Not that I'm against shooting someone in self defense, but it is a big deal, and probably not fun. Think of the court you might have to attend. I also wish people no harm and are more forgiving then most, so I'd still feel bad about it. I really just try and avoid people knowing my location unless nessasary. I'm also pretty careful when talking to new prospective clients on the phone. I ask them alot of details which is a good practice not just for security. Any "customers" looking to rob you will probably get tripped up in them.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversounds View Post
We had that alarm too, but not with manual triggering. It works only if we are out of the studio.

Our neighbours were these:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...t-down-in-rio/

Luckly i'm on a new neighbourhood now.
Dang, studio in the favela??
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

My studio is near some high crime areas. I have a carry permit and keep a .45 ACP with me at the studio.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebot9000 View Post
Dang, studio in the favela??
No, in a neighbourhood surrounded by three favelas. two of them, major ones.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

i seem to recall a story that ssl knows the location of every console they ever built save one...apparently the clients booked a fri nite session, subdued the engineer...handcuffed him to a radiator in the bathroom...when they found him mon morning the console and the racks were gone
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
when they found him mon morning the console and the racks were gone
Wtf? Not easy to physically do, and anyway, what would you do with a stolen console? Tough item to fence I imagine unless stolen just for personal use.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

My studio is in my home, so we have a pretty advanced alarm system with motion sensors in the studio. My wife is anti-gun so out of respect I own no guns even though I was brought up with them. I have had bad luck in the past though (growing up in the Bay Area of CA and some in Seattle), and I've been jumped (beaten severely)by gangs several times, robbed at gunpoint, and gotten away from an attempted car jacking and multiple other things. So, even though that now I'm luckily over my PTSD, I remain a hard realist and take this shit seriously. If anyone messes with my family, me, or my gear they are going to bleed. This is a great company btw. I love my CQC-11 and with the WAVE feature they open faaast. Great knives. Emerson Knives - paul
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
No guns here in UK (or knives for me) , but we do have one of these :
That is a beautiful dog
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

A good alarm and good insurance = piece of mind. As far as getting robbed while I'm here....... I don't answer the door to unannounced strangers after dark and if they insist by breaking in......they meet up with my friends "Smitty" (S&W model 586 .357mag) and "Rudy" (Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag... extremely intimidating)
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
That is a beautiful dog
Finally, a rational post!

<jus' kiddin' guys>

But Lou's right: gorgeous dog.
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank alrich View Post
Finally, a rational post!

<jus' kiddin' guys>

But Lou's right: gorgeous dog.
He 'stole' the photo from here:

American Akita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol - but still a beautiful dog.

Maybe his dog is the one on that encyclopedia... who knows...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

My studio is in a small town 20 minutes from the city. I had a rapper tell me that one of the deciding factors in coming to record with me is because he didn't feel like he may get shot.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ice-T had best studio security back in the day:

Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislpp View Post
This has got to be the dumbest thing I have read on GS...
You obviously have no formal training in firearms and/or can't comprehend the physical and mental destruction that comes with the use of a firearm against another human being.

Firearm ownership is a great thing but a lot of discipline and accountbility comes with it. If you don't have any of those two than you will end up in jail or dead.

I really hope this was a bad joke, if so please use a smiley or something. I'm just anal about this stuff cause it only takes a few bad actions like this that makes responsible gun owners like myself look bad.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
This has got to be the dumbest thing I have read on GS...
You obviously have no formal training in firearms and/or can't comprehend the physical and mental destruction that comes with the use of a firearm against another human being.

Firearm ownership is a great thing but a lot of discipline and accountbility comes with it. If you don't have any of those two than you will end up in jail or dead.

I really hope this was a bad joke, if so please use a smiley or something. I'm just anal about this stuff cause it only takes a few bad actions like this that makes responsible gun owners like myself look bad.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 19th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
My studio is in my home, so we have a pretty advanced alarm system with motion sensors in the studio. My wife is anti-gun so out of respect I own no guns even though I was brought up with them. I have had bad luck in the past though (growing up in the Bay Area of CA and some in Seattle), and I've been jumped (beaten severely)by gangs several times, robbed at gunpoint, and gotten away from an attempted car jacking and multiple other things. So, even though that now I'm luckily over my PTSD, I remain a hard realist and take this shit seriously. If anyone messes with my family, me, or my gear they are going to bleed. This is a great company btw. I love my CQC-11 and with the WAVE feature they open faaast. Great knives. Emerson Knives - paul
I would consider a gun then..me and my wife go to the shooting range togeather!!!..I can not OWN a fire arm because I was a bad boy when I was 17..witch was 18 years ago...so my wife carries it..we live in a bad neighborhood and I don't trust these animals at all!!!! guns are chambered and ready to go every night!!!
Old 19th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
Ice-T had best studio security back in the day:

The back of the album cover was even better!!!
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversounds View Post
He 'stole' the photo from here:

American Akita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol - but still a beautiful dog.

Maybe his dog is the one on that encyclopedia... who knows...

I thought it was an Akita! Some friends of mine just got a japanese one, but not the normal yellow kind, its grey/striped... So fluffy and beautiful! Such a good temper on it too... I love it.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear