The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Defense
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
yea, believe me, im not trying to snuggle up next to it. lol . But certainly can admire a magnificent Animal...thumbsup
Amen : It was nothing short of thrilling to be in such close proximity and in constant eye contact ... We, the lion and myself never let our concentration waiver and kept a respectful distance and demeanor and Just as a note most or all of the lion attacks on adults in the Rockies and California have from behind and mostly on people jogging So the cats most likely perceived the human as fleeing and sparked the predator instinct But I would not hug Kitty Kitty either...
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mécanique View Post
I am curious to know what these times are. More importantly, I wonder if all Americans that carry guns would be able to keep their cool and use a weapon in such circumstances (and prove that the weapon was used in self defense in a court of law).
The people that keep guns in their homes or studios may not understand that a great number of burglaries that involve death result from inexperienced people trying to defend themselves.
I am not here to pass judgment, but I can't help thinking how many people out there think that life is just like a Hollywood movie.
A pistol (perhaps I should've said 'handgun', to include revolvers) is most appropriate when a long gun is impractical. A handgun may easily be carried in a holster on the belt and deployed in only seconds, with practice. The advantage of carrying the firearm on your person is that it is always with you. While a shotgun may be preferred for home defense, it just isn't so easy to tote around -- and if you ever need a firearm, you're likely to need it "NOW."

Are you really suggesting that so-called "inexperienced people" are better off without a means of self defense? I think perhaps it is you who is dreaming of a Hollywood movie (you know, the one where the Police get there, just in time). Many people who take the effort to carry a firearm daily have also taken initiative to practice drawing and firing their weapon to the point of being quite capable of defending themself.

As far as proving a case of self defense, there is a saying -- "It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6." It is always wise to know the laws of the land, but when it comes down to "kill or be killed", there is only one choice.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Personal Protection Proficiency

First and foremost, a person can make the choice to master or become proficient in self defense/personal protection. This is a serious undertaking but I consider it to be an obligation to my family and myself. The acquisition of knowledge and skills is essential.

If a person is not committed to personal protection proficiency then I think that it is a mistake to own a deadly weapon. The risks are greater than the potential benefits.

A person owning a gun does not constitute a person proficient in self protection any more than a person owing a DAW constitutes a competent engineer. Commitment is essential.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear