The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Defense
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen View Post
That is kick ass you are doing music in those conditions!
Sorry to hear you need a gun in your situation.
Have you ever had tracks leave your place with gun shot leakage?

Be safe.

D
No shot leakages so far. We had to 'get inside! real fast' once, a really bad shooting was happening few blocks away. Nothing that unusual for a Rio citizen. Lately cause of the olympics and world cup things got worse: police wants to gain total control of every crimezone near the games, and there are lots of areas where our state has no control at all. So every week there are some major shooting in poor neighbourhoods. In Rio we have a high violent death rate (35 per 100.000 inhabitants), similar to Bagda in Iraq (41/100.000), but less then cities like New Orleans (95) and Baltimore (45) for example.

===

The good news is that my new studio is on a better place, near the Major official house, so there is a lot of security nearby.

cheers, peace.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversounds View Post
He 'stole' the photo from here:

American Akita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol - but still a beautiful dog.

Maybe his dog is the one on that encyclopedia... who knows...
Yes , I "borrowed" the photo .
Ours is the same breed , an American variant Japanese Akita .
Cheers for the nice words said , I should get a pic of him and post it in the pets thread .
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nothing is worth dying for.

So for me, my facilities' security is run by a commercial security firm, silent alarms to police, and also insured heavily so if, God forbid, anything happen, as long as my staff and I am not present, I do not mind at all.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

I work in north philly:
walther p99 .40
walther p22 .22
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

I have insurance too but if anyone ever beat on my door the wrong way I'd still blow a hole through it. Not really, but you know what I mean. Nothing I hate more than a thief.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Jesus. That video of the heavy calibre weapon shooting the police copter down was pretty heavy!!

Think that just trumps Jules' heroin baron..
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

i have some highly trained Ferrets hat go strait for the crotch when the "Secret Keyword" is spoken... Burglers be wary....
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

LOL quality thread. We've got a big welded steel framed door, and 3 solid doors to get to the control room. We don't have any weapons yet, but we are getting some baseball bats in. Haven't got a gun license (I'm in the UK so legally were only limited to shotguns & rifles, but its STRICT! Plenty of dick-heads have got pistols though) but I'm seriously considering getting a samurai sword or two to go under the console. We're not in a particularly great area either.
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanface View Post
LOL quality thread. We've got a big welded steel framed door, and 3 solid doors to get to the control room. We don't have any weapons yet, but we are getting some baseball bats in. Haven't got a gun license (I'm in the UK so legally were only limited to shotguns & rifles, but its STRICT! Plenty of dick-heads have got pistols though) but I'm seriously considering getting a samurai sword or two to go under the console. We're not in a particularly great area either.
I was a 'security freak' years ago, before starting in the studio business, i worked as a self-defense instructor teaching military tactics and urban defense for civilians (kombato.org). I've learned to use knives quite well (Kali Silat style - A Kali, Arnis, Pencak Silat, Site for Self Defense, Seminars, Videos, Newsletters of these Indonesia / Malaysia / Philippine Martial Arts), they are much better than a baseball bat or a samurai sword. They're smaller, cancelable, and mostly legal. Really good to keep under the console, near the register (if you have one), and you can always say its to cut wires.

But talking about prevention, on my new studio we are putting:

8 security cameras with online access (1 outside, 7 indoors).
1 silent alarm system.
Two solid doors before geting inside the entering hall.
All our equipment have serial numbers stored on a remote server steal

My knife will be mainly used to cut wires.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I was a 'security freak' years ago, before starting in the studio business, i worked as a self-defense instructor teaching military tactics and urban defense for civilians (kombato.org). I've learned to use knives quite well (Kali Silat style - A Kali, Arnis, Pencak Silat, Site for Self Defense, Seminars, Videos, Newsletters of these Indonesia / Malaysia / Philippine Martial Arts), they are much better than a baseball bat or a samurai sword. They're smaller, cancelable, and mostly legal. Really good to keep under the console, near the register (if you have one), and you can always say its to cut wires.

But talking about prevention, on my new studio we are putting:

8 security cameras with online access (1 outside, 7 indoors).
1 silent alarm system.
Two solid doors before geting inside the entering hall.
All our equipment have serial numbers stored on a remote server steal

My knife will be mainly used to cut wires.
We're getting 4 security cameras put up around the outside of the studio just in case. I think the silent alarm might be a bit over-kill atm. So you think knives would be a better approach eh? OK, that makes life easier. What inch do you suggest? Used to box until a few years ago so I'm not really the 'soft' sort which could come in handy, have been thinking about starting again but I smoke too much, I think my lungs will give in if I do. Don't have the time anymore either, would be devastating to get my hearing damaged too
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
We're getting 4 security cameras put up around the outside of the studio just in case. I think the silent alarm might be a bit over-kill atm. So you think knives would be a better approach eh? OK, that makes life easier. What inch do you suggest? Used to box until a few years ago so I'm not really the 'soft' sort which could come in handy, have been thinking about starting again but I smoke too much, I think my lungs will give in if I do. Don't have the time anymore either, would be devastating to get my hearing damaged too
I would suggest you to take some basic classes on home defense - probably a small workshop if you have no time. Before putting deadly weapons in your work/home you have to learn to use them.

The prevetions is always better, but good study of combat (boxing is great) and knife using (try Kali Silat in england, it is an uncommon fighting style, but has in some cities around the globe). I like to think that "I have peace as an option, while most people are condemned to it" (sorry if the quote is sounding weird, its hard to translate that from portuguese to english).
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I would suggest you to take some basic classes on home defense - probably a small workshop if you have no time. Before putting deadly weapons in your work/home you have to learn to use them.

The prevetions is always better, but good study of combat (boxing is great) and knife using (try Kali Silat in england, it is an uncommon fighting style, but has in some cities around the globe). I like to think that "I have peace as an option, while most people are condemned to it" (sorry if the quote is sounding weird, its hard to translate that from portuguese to english).
Nice, I'll check out Kali Silat, it'll be good for me. BTW, is it possible to fit the Japanese Sequoia into your signature. I tried doing it in my head but couldn't find a satisfactory context for it.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

(For those living outside the USA), FYI:

In places like the USA where guns are legal, it's the norm to have a few guns around for sport and/or self defense but it's hard for those in other parts of the world to understand that. Seems too violent but really it's not. It's just that everyone can get a gun so even petty criminals might have a pistol so not having a gun puts one at a disadvantage.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

"whalter ppk, 7.65mm. Only 3 men i know use such a gun, i believe i have killed two of them"

Gotta love americans and their guns... ironically thats from a very famous movie with a british character as the lead role, and that scene is in russia :P

On topic though, its a shame alarm systems are so expensive just to protect your goods.
Old 21st November 2009
Do or die is one thing but I typically don't like to be THAT GUY who wags his finger,However, the statement was quite tasteless. What are you a sociopath? Anyway....

For me, as a US Citizen, I feel like the right to bear arms is so we can protect ourselves from the government, not necessarily from each other.

Just my 2 cents.

I say get a cctv and/or an alarm system like Jules mentioned that should be enough.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

i know a guy who runs a video/photostudio in Martinique, and he does pay of the local gang of the ghetto where he's located to protect his studio wich works wonderwell and it's cheaper than a security guard. He also got a decent alarmsystem, a solild closed compound and a few guns (Glock17, TAR21) with licence as backup, but the gang like it to protect him and do it way more motivated than the security he had on his former photostudio in Portmore, Jamaica he says. This got also as result he can freely move inside that ghetto without fear, just like his clients.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

I pack heat in the studio. A P22 is well concealed out of sight of any client, but yet within arms reach if needed. I have a 45 hidden as well in the control room if I really need some stopping power. I also study/practice military martial arts like Russian Systema and Israeli Krav Maga. They teach skills like knife fighting/disarms, gun fighting/disarms, fighting multiple attackers, and other very dangerous things. It is amazing how frail the human body is. While anything can happen in real life, it is good to at least have the confidence that in any sort of dangerous situation I can at least potentially hold my own. On top of that, there is an alarm system for when I am not at the studio. You can never be to cautious or prepared. I also try to prescreen my clients before they come in. For example, If I get a myspace from some shady looking gang banger, I'll turn him down.
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgtrnut View Post
... If I get a myspace from some shady looking gang banger, I'll turn him down.
lolz, but you are right. We can play the Big Brother sometimes and have a check on the client...

Another good thing to have is to have a Caller ID and list of cell and landline numbers of those you deal with.

Prevention is the safest weapon.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

my daschund guards the studio. you can see her in my picture. pretty intimidating right? and she keeps my seat warm when i get up.
Old 22nd November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post

not having a gun puts one at a disadvantage.
And out here in the West we still run around wearing chaps, cowboy hats and spurs and use "six shooters", even the women folk. We eat around campfires and ride in rodeos for fun. We've just about got the indian problem under control but they are a stubborn bunch and break out of the reservation on a regular basis. Our favorite thing to do is ride in to Dodge City on a Saturday night and "shoot up the town".

And don't forget, our governor can beat up your governor (now that Jesse Ventura is out of politics).

Just so you know.
Yeehaaw!
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post

In places like the USA where guns are legal, it's the norm to have a few guns around for sport and/or self defense but it's hard for those in other parts of the world to understand that. Seems too violent but really it's not. It's just that everyone can get a gun so even petty criminals might have a pistol so not having a gun puts one at a disadvantage.

Well, guns are legal in the UK, just not handguns. Shotguns and rifles you can get if you've got a license - but you cant get a license if you've got a record. My old man had a couple of rifles in the house, so did our neighbors. Handguns used to be legal in the UK, but then tragically, there was the Dunblane massacre in the 90's so they were outlawed. However, theres alot of guys walking around London with shooters, the new 'in thing' is getting their girlfriend to look after it for you . In the US, you have to have a license right? Surely they wouldn't sell a gun to any Tom, Dick or Harry?
Old 22nd November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I have insurance. If someone wants my shit that bad, they can have it.
Amen brother!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

"I'd just find it fun to be able to shoot someone dead in self defense." I am glad this person made this statement BECAUSE it is by no means unilateral especially among the uninitiated .................
What a sterling example of a totally misguided and totally ignorant notion of right and wrong , good guys and bad guys as if it were somehow actually black or white. Unfortunately such a statement is not only completely unrealistic, but much more scary is that, it is prototypical of the ignorance (as in lack of knowledge) about what that (Killing for whatever reason) would actually be like , fueled by of course the Fantasy presented on TV and the movies and exponentially exacerbated by Video games...

Here's a thought and I am surprised it has not yet been mentioned - Bear spray and or a taser or stun gun. ...

Point of note : I live in the state with highest % of firearms ownership per capita and with Griz scat 1 mile behind the house.. And as some may have seen from 2 other threads , things like this showing up in the garage....
Now were I to of had the above mentioned attitude, I might of just shot this cat for invading my space. Which would have actually been a genuine tragedy . Why ? Because first there was no need , this is a yearling mountain lion, probably female definitely confused and in pain ( note the 3 porcupine quills in it's face ) which most likely smelled the horse feed in the garage and or was just trying to find shelter from a severe storm the previous night.
BTW nary a shot fired except for 10 megapixel thumbsup
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Always thought hiding RFID tags inside equipment stuff with scanners at the door that call the cops would be a good way of doing things, along with GPS in key pieces that look expensive.

Security screws are obvious but the stories I've heard when they cant remove the equipment ends up with them just taking a baseball bat to the gear.

As far as personal safety, panic button and cameras at the door would be a pretty good option. Pretty scary when it's 3AM and someone is knocking at the door and you dont know who it is.

Active defense like weapons, mace, a dog, or another person either is impractical or isnt going to do much if there's more than 1 person - esp if they're armed or on drugs. Plus you risk legal problems or escalating a situation.
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"I'd just find it fun to be able to shoot someone dead in self defense." I am glad this person made this statement BECAUSE it is by no means unilateral especially among the uninitiated .................
What a sterling example of a totally misguided and totally ignorant notion of right and wrong , good guys and bad guys as if it were somehow actually black or white. Unfortunately such a statement is not only completely unrealistic, but much more scary is that, it is prototypical of the ignorance (as in lack of knowledge) about what that (Killing for whatever reason) would actually be like , fueled by of course the Fantasy presented on TV and the movies and exponentially exacerbated by Video games...

Here's a thought and I am surprised it has not yet been mentioned - Bear spray and or a taser or stun gun. ...

Point of note : I live in the state with highest % of firearms ownership per capita and with Griz scat 1 mile behind the house.. And as some may have seen from 2 other threads , things like this showing up in the garage....
Now were I to of had the above mentioned attitude, I might of just shot this cat for invading my space. Which would have actually been a genuine tragedy . Why ? Because first there was no need , this is a yearling mountain, probably female definitely confused and in pain ( note the 3 porcupine quills in it's face ) which most likely smelled the horse feed in the garage and or was just trying to find shelter from a severe storm the previous night.
BTW nary a shot fired except for 10 megapixel thumbsup
Damn I thought you were going to say this mountain lion WAS you security defense. I'm dissapointed. lol. Great shot though. Should have coaxed her into the control room with some raw steak for a few more pics.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Amen brother!
+1

I pay £500 a year for high quality all risk cover, that way I don't have to worry about my gear.

That said, I bought a dog that barks like a savage when anyone comes to the door, he's only a mini schnauzer but he'd fight with his life, bless him, before anyone would even get a cable out of the door.

He's called Elvis, he's a cute little fella.

TMY
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Defense-elvis.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

i think he was winding you guys up about that killing people thing... you guys sure fell for it though!

as my studio is not a commercial tracking place, one of the things i am careful about is that nobody finds out the actual location of it - obviously sometimes people come round and they could tell anyone, but i only let trusted folk in there, and nobody who has any 'shifty' connections.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, guns are legal in the UK, just not handguns. Shotguns and rifles you can get if you've got a license - but you cant get a license if you've got a record. My old man had a couple of rifles in the house, so did our neighbors. Handguns used to be legal in the UK, but then tragically, there was the Dunblane massacre in the 90's so they were outlawed. However, theres alot of guys walking around London with shooters, the new 'in thing' is getting their girlfriend to look after it for you . In the US, you have to have a license right? Surely they wouldn't sell a gun to any Tom, Dick or Harry?
The U.S. is a collection of 50 unique states with their own individual laws. There are, however, Federal laws which apply to all states, but your question of needing a license to own (or carry) a firearm does depend on which state you are referring to. The answer will vary all the way across the spectrum. A few states do not require a license to either own or carry a firearm; most states require a license only to carry a firearm (not to own); a few states require a license to purchase/own/carry; a few states and cities even attempt to deny citizens their rights by not issuing licenses even when all legal conditions are met (we are about to rectify this via the Supreme Court).

To give an example, in the state of Vermont, you (Tom, Dick, or Harry) may walk into a gun store, purchase a pistol and ammunition, put it in your pocket and legally go on your way. It is very important to note that you must pass a background check (5 minute phone call to Federal database checker, while you're in the store), must be older than a certain age (I believe 18), and possibly other conditions. The 'instant' background check ensures that the purchaser does not have a criminal record, and has not been adjudicated as mentally incompetent, or what-have-you. On the other hand, in the city of New York, you wouldn't currently have a snowballs chance in hell of legally purchasing or carrying a pistol in this manner. You would need a stack of paper work completed and licenses before you could acquire a pistol to legally carry.

Someone in the U.K. might assume from this that the streets of Vermont run with blood, while New York City (or Chicago, or Washington D.C., or Los Angeles, with their similar tactics) is the safest city in the whole of the United States. Not so. It may be counterintuitive, but the opposite is more often true. The plain fact is that there are literally millions of responsible American citizens who carry a pistol legally, on their person. These people, almost unequivocally, do not commit crimes with their firearm. They carry for one purpose only -- to defend their life and limb in an emergency. Simply put, there are certain times when only a pistol will do. Many Americans find it prudent to take responsibility for their own safety, instead of crossing their fingers and wishing on a star.

Please ignore that guy 'Chrislpp' who said he'd enjoy killing someone in self defense. He's not with 'us', and that tasteless sentiment will surely come back to bite him someday.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly644 View Post
Active defense like weapons, mace, a dog, or another person either is impractical or isnt going to do much if there's more than 1 person - esp if they're armed or on drugs. Plus you risk legal problems or escalating a situation.
Well ?? possibly yes and no not really. First It's unrealistic and actually impossible, to make any definitive statements about what might or might not happen in a highly charged situation such a home or studio invasion or robbery. Starting from the last point. While It is quite possible that a show of counter force or active defense Might serve to escalate a situation, there are also in fact many confirmed cases of the use of active defense having deescalated a situation.
As far as legal ramifications that depends entirely on a combination circumstances and the laws of your particular location.
As far as a firearm, mace, stun gun, or even a dog being "impractical" or " isnt going to do much" again not possible to make any such definitive statement accurately since , It's quite possible to kill, disarm, disable, bluff or scare off multiple assailants with any single or combination of defense weapon , There really is no way to know what the outcome will or might be period. When it comes to self defense doing something and doing nothing, both incur variable unknowns.. Its a risk either way for sure. Pic your poison...........
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
i think he was winding you guys up about that killing people thing... you guys sure fell for it though!
I hope for his sake you are right about it being sarcasm, if so I certainly took the bait However being from the UK you might find it revealing and unnerving to know that there is unfortunately a sizable contingent in this country, with exactly that attitude and make no mistake, they are deadly serious..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear