The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Beatles - Come Together Multitrack
Old 18th November 2009
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting this. So cool....
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Indeed cool! Is there more of this stuff?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Great video! Fantastic insight into one of the worlds finest rock acts in the daily rigor of their work. Should be inspiration for anyone with a simple home studio that a quality product can be made from an 8 track mix.... if you have the product... being the music
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

This is as inspiring as it is humbling, as are most things Beatles, imo. FABulous!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

You just made my day. Thanks!
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

Wow; how many tunes did they do this for? what's the original source of this interview?
Old 18th November 2009
teo
Lives for gear

Apparently the multitracks for Sgt. Pepper have leaked and have been floating around for a while...
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sgt. Pepper, With a Little Help, A Day in the Life, and She's Leaving Home have been around for a while. I've never seen Come Together though.

I'd LOVE to have it.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

OMG...stunning.

Bri
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Lindsey View Post

kool.

love to hear multi of side two of abbey too
Old 18th November 2009
I'll admit, even though its risking my murder, that I am not that huge of a Beatles fan, but this is amazing. I love the first verse scratch vocal that Lennon laid down a lot more than the original.

Does anybody know what kind of compressor might have been used on Lennon, cause it sounds awesome.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing this!!
thumbsup
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Love it love it love it love it love it!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

This seems to be a different animal than those Sgt. Pepper tracks, which are actually just the 5.1 surround mixes with each channel soloed out.

THIS is freaking fascinating...!
Old 19th November 2009

it's all from the "rockband" sessions actually. There is a lot of this floating about.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
OH MAN

I LOVE that doubled guitar line that didn't make it into the final mix!!!! I WANT A VERSION WITH THAT LICK IN THERE!!!!

and I actually prefer lennon's scratch vocal I think, at least the little bit I heard.... typical rocker john instead of perfect harmony vocalist john, his two alter egos as I like to say

great great stuff. and I didn't know that was paul playing keys, always assumed it was the 5th beatle on keys on that tune.

THANKS FOR THIS!

Don
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Love it when they solo the guitar...filthy filthy filthy. At risk of sounding like a complete *****bag....RAWK!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
Here's a site with audio versions that might be a little cleaner without the youtube compression. Also it has She's leaving home and Day in the Life.

Audio Analysis of the Beatles Multitrack Masters - Waxy.org

Thanks a bunch for the original youtube link that prompted me to find this.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles, but that is pretty amazing production!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting this! I always loved how Ringo's drums sounded so fat on Come Together.

It is interesting how Geoff Emerick has stated over the years that at first, he was not in favour of the solid-state sound of Abbey Road (apparently they switched consoles prior to that album)... IMO it sounds absolutely GREAT and there is a sheen over that entire production that still sounds amazing today. Its not as tubey-fat or raw as The White Album, but Abbey Road has its own distinct sound
and it is quite something.

(Edit Update)....

Emerick quote from Mix interview:

Speaking of compressors, in other interviews you've mentioned Fairchilds quite a bit. What is it about them you like so much?
The Fairchild 660s — it's just a sound they've got that I loved. It's good for specific drum sounds. It's great on electric guitars, and it's great on vocals. That's about it, really.
Do you think there's something to the notion that bigger is better in terms of recording equipment?
[Laughs] Well, that's because it was all tube equipment. All the albums up until Abbey Road were recorded through a tube desk. Abbey Road was the first album that was recorded through an EMI transistorized desk, and I couldn't get the same sounds at all. There was presence and depth that the transistors just wouldn't give me that the tubes did.
That must have been frustrating.
Oh, it was. But, of course, it gave a texture to the Abbey Road album after all, which is quite pleasant. But at first, being used to the tube desk and being confronted with the transistorized desk, it was like chalk and cheese. It was hard. And there was nothing I could do about it except craft the music around it; it was a much softer sort of texture.
When Studer came out with its transistorized multitrack tape machines, we were A/B'ing with an MCI 8-track and the same thing happened. The tape machine just wouldn't produce the same snare or bass drum sound. And, of course, they could never give you an answer — you could only hear it and say to the people from Studer, “Why does it sound this way?”

Geoff Emerick
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Does anybody know what kind of compressor might have been used on Lennon, cause it sounds awesome.
if vocals were cut on track 4 of a regular Redd.51/J-37 session - then that should be the Fairchild? As I understand it, the Altecs were generally wired to tape busses 1/2 and Fairchild 660s to 3/4.

aside from that - yeah, awesome tour of the track sounds - they never cease to spark my imagination and stimulate my inner ear.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
This seems to be a different animal than those Sgt. Pepper tracks, which are actually just the 5.1 surround mixes with each channel soloed out.

THIS is freaking fascinating...!
The Sgt Pecker tracks I've heard surely aren't 5.1... mostly because I can't imagine a 5.1 mix sounding that way and ummmmm I don't think there is a 5.1 Sgt Peeper mix!!!!!

Pretty cool to hear Come Together... OBVIOUSLY not the rock band cuts as it has Lennons original vox and guitars not used in the mix.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

To me the change in George's guitar tone sounds more like a fuzz pedal than changing pick-up.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

I was playing this for the producer I work with in the studio and it just keeps hitting us over and over and over again how important arrangement is.

I can't say it any other way so excuse my language, that's some smart ****en work that went on there. I'm sure by then it was intuitive, but regardless - I mean to get to the core of a song like that...

I'll shut up now before I start sounding stupid!
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Nut

The Beatles were certainly great arrangers and they also had something else that was very important... TASTE!
Old 28th November 2009
ringo is unquestionably the most underrated rock drummer ever. that beat is sick dope (as opposed to dope sick).
Old 28th November 2009
js1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I was playing this for the producer I work with in the studio and it just keeps hitting us over and over and over again how important arrangement is.
+1 billion

And how important space is. Each part gives space for the others to breathe.

js
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protools Guy View Post
Thanks for posting this. So cool....
Me too I also have been thinking long and hard about the matter and came up with.
I Too need but one more piece of gear. One will do it. Yea one and I am done.
Uno seinior. Then Ill be happy!!!
GT
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Wonderful!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear