The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is radio still a viable outlet for your music?
Old 18th November 2009
Is radio still a viable outlet for your music?

I'm curious if any of you are trying to get music played on the radio and if so what kind of stations and how do you present it to the radio stations?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Generally, except for community radio, unless you have some one representing your music who has a working relationship with the gate keeper or you have a track record of already being played, radio is not particularly viable for independent musicians.
Old 18th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
radio is not particularly viable for independent musicians.
Agreed... unfortunately.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Mainstream big company's owned radio isn't. Underground radio (on the web, and here in Belgium you also have some independent stations on FM band like the one i work for) still are. I suppose there are still some in the US left maybe also. But you will serve an audience that is searchinig for this stuff, not the mainstream crowd.

In our case, deliver good music free in 320kps mp3 or higher quality, with enough relevant info about the artist, and we take a look if it can fit in our schedule (in genre specific shows maybe). It often helps if you deliver them straight to the dj's/program responsible of the specific show you want it in. The link to our station is in my sign.
Old 18th November 2009
It is important to me to get a sense what the recording/musician community thinks about this, collectively. I started a low power FM in the USA and also am a musician...I started the station because corporate radio turned it's back on independent/small-time musicians a generation ago...after reading so many threads on Gearslutz I get the impression that a lot of people are recording in smaller commercial studios for clients that are essentially making albums with no real viable outlets or we have the bedroom studio musicians doing recording/music as a hobby (which is 100% cool)...but the point is I never see people writing about what happens to the music after its recorded (if a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, did it make any sound?)...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear