The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overloading/malfunctioning monitor controller (Samson C-Control)?
Old 18th November 2009
Overloading/malfunctioning monitor controller (Samson C-Control)?

I have a Samson C-Control that I've used for a couple of years now, and it recently started do this weird thing, where it it would become overloaded all by itself, and the unit itself would buzz loudly, and the volume meter would hit red and stay there. I'd have to quickly turn it off or risk blowing out my speakers. My K+H's have limiters built in, so they were fine, but I have another set of consumer computer speakers and the subwoofer got blown that way, and my Sennheiser HD555 headphone's right side died from it too. With the speakers, the loud noise seems to be full range of frequencies, but with the headphone, it's just the treble that gets overloaded (and very painful to the ears). I emailed Samson and got no reply.

I wondered if it was some kind of electrical spike, but I switched it's power connection with another Samson C-Control (I have two of them--one is only a few months old), and the overload still happens on the same unit. Also, my household has an industrial grade voltage converter that handles all of our American voltage appliances (China runs on 220, and American appliances run on 110), so the electrical power for all my American appliances should be free from any kind of spike or irregularity. Besides, none of my other American appliances ever had problems before since we moved in a year ago.

So what could be causing the C-Control to overload like that? It happens very randomly, so I can't tell if it's caused by something else. I have tried switching all the inputs and outputs connections between the good unit and the bad one, and it made on difference--the bad unit would still overload.
Old 19th November 2009
No one has ever dealt with a similar problem?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

I've used the C-Contol for quite a while myself. Haven't found a problem with it yet. I can imagine Samson's customer service being slow as most budget equipment companies have to find some ways to cut the overhead costs. Keep trying with them and hopefully you can get it sorted
Old 26th November 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Lunatique

Just wondering if there were any conclusions drawn with the unit overloading. I have the exact same issue going on with mine at the minute. Any help or advice is much appreciated . Thanks in advance
Old 26th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Just wondering if there were any conclusions drawn with the unit overloading. I have the exact same issue going on with mine at the minute. Any help or advice is much appreciated . Thanks in advance
I never bothered to have anyone take a look at it. I ended up buying another unit and never had a problem with the newer one. I tried using the older one again last year when I moved back to the States, and it still acted up unexpectedly, so now I know it's consistent and something's definitely wrong, until I have it fixed. But it's so cheap I just couldn't be bothered.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear