The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rane HC6 is NOISY!
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Rane HC6 is NOISY!

Hey guys! This is my first post, and unfortunately not a happy one. I just got a used Rane HC6 because I heard everyone talking it up for a great headphone amp on a budget. It came in today and when I went to test it, the channels were super noisy!

I tried cleaning the pots with contact cleaner, but the noise persisted. Does it need to be grounded or did I get a faulty one? Everything works fine, but the signal to noise ratio is ridiculous. Please help guys!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

that sucks... I'd complain if I was the buyer of a defective unit. (If it is indeed defective... I dunno about the grounded vs. ungrounded issue)

My HC6 is super quiet. There is obviously something going on with yours. I don't know what.

Hope this response gets the ball rolling in this thread
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks. Anyone else with a suggestion? I'm probably going to ask for a return. Would you recommend taking the risk at looking for another one?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

From my experience with my HC6, everything positive you've heard about the unit is true. it's inexpensive, built well, and does a good job. good luck! hope you get this sorted.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Noise or "hum"? There's a difference. There should be no noise to speak of, but I have had problems with certain balance/unbalanced wiriing with that unit.
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

It was clearly noise. It's okay though. The seller agreed to a full refund, and now I'm looking to get another one. It'll still be used, but this time I'll be looking for the newer generation
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Noise or "hum"? There's a difference. There should be no noise to speak of, but I have had problems with certain balance/unbalanced wiriing with that unit.
What kind of problems are you talking about?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

I think the main LR outputs are balanced, but the individual outs are unbalanced, creating some ground loops in certain situations. Easy to solve though.
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

I see..that shouldn't be a problem. I'll be using it mono for a while.

Quick Update: So the seller agreed to a full refund, so I sent it back. And a replacement should be coming in next week. This time it's the newer generation. Hopefully this one will redeem the name of this unit.
Old 9th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewskI View Post
I see..that shouldn't be a problem. I'll be using it mono for a while.

Quick Update: So the seller agreed to a full refund, so I sent it back. And a replacement should be coming in next week. This time it's the newer generation. Hopefully this one will redeem the name of this unit.
I know this is an old post, but did the newer amp turn out to be quiet? I've purchased two of the older generation units and both have the hum/noise problem. One of them distorts the signal after about 5 minutes as well.
Old 2nd November 2011
Maybe I got one of yours ;-).

I just got one off ebay - mine has hum and randomly "pops" loudly into my ear when adjusting the gain, nearly deafening me.

The sound also isn't very clean.

The POS (for build quality) Behringer pro-8 I am trying to replace sounds about a million times better (but has had a bunch of phone jacks go bad).

Boo - this thing is crap - watch out if your buying used.

I will be returning and resume my headphone amp quest.
Old 2nd November 2011
Here for the gear

I actually still have both of mine. I tried a new power supply but that didn't make a difference. Now I've purchased new capacitors but have yet to put them in. I'll post the results when I get around to doing the soldering. By the time I'm done I might as well have bought new...
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I have a HC6 here which I picked up for literally a few pounds and had it recapped. I noticed a ground loop noise coming through the headphone outputs but am not convinced the issue is with the HC6. I am using a Behringer HD400 between my interface and headphone amp and it is working ok now. It is still a little hissy though!
Old 2nd November 2011
I'll stay posted - the seller decided to just refund and let me keep it, rather than shipping it back.

Maybe a fixer?
Old 16th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I have a HC6 here which I picked up for literally a few pounds and had it recapped. I noticed a ground loop noise coming through the headphone outputs but am not convinced the issue is with the HC6. I am using a Behringer HD400 between my interface and headphone amp and it is working ok now. It is still a little hissy though!
So i assume you the interface is feeding the hc 6, am i correct? and putting the hd400 in there fixed the hum?

I recently bought a used hc 6 and have the same hum problem, although once i start running any signal through it is barely noticeable.
Old 16th March 2012
I just threw in the towel and bought a ART HeadAmp6.

$160 - sounds great - 6 outputs - and I bought a 5 year warranty so it won't crap out on me like my old Berhinger unit after 2 years (cleaner sounding as well).

It works.
Old 16th March 2012
let me know how the art works out. i keep hearing about them blowing drivers in the phones.
Old 16th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by schobersound View Post
let me know how the art works out. i keep hearing about them blowing drivers in the phones.
I've already used for a few big tracking sessions - seem good so far, but it can send out a lot of power - I have good phones though (ATH-M50, Extreme Isolation EX-29's, & AKG K271's).

It did have an issue already (suddenly started to make a constant noise) that has been fixed under the warranty.

Kind of shit, but I don't care as I have the extended warranty to keep it functional.

We'll see how often it breaks...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear