The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Bang For Your Buck... 1000-1500 Microphones
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Best Bang For Your Buck... 1000-1500 Microphones

Hey Slutz, i was wondering what everyones input is on these microphones below... I'm thinking of getting one in the near future. Let me knowyour experiences and applications

Peluso 2247
Peluso 22 251
Peluso P12
Telefunken AK47
Telefunken M16

I'm interested in those Let me know what you guys think is the best bang for your buck
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

I have pearlman tm1 and peluso 22 251.
251 is great for female vox and TM1 sounds really good for male vox.
So it depends on what you want to record.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have the Peluso 2247 LE and it sounds really good. My only complaint is the build is a little cheap feeling around the screen. The case and wooden box are a little cheap too.

It sounds good though! I just wish it was heavy duty like the Neumann build.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

i compared the peluso 47le, p12, and avantone bv1 and found the p12 to offer the most pleasing tones.............

p12 was more like a finished tone that shaped my voice into the mix just perfect, if that makes sense...
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a Peluso 2247 (the shortbody) and I use it all the time. Has loads of character. I personally prefer it over the SE/LE version.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
i compared the peluso 47le, p12, and avantone bv1 and found the p12 to offer the most pleasing tones.............

p12 was more like a finished tone that shaped my voice into the mix just perfect, if that makes sense...
Haven't A/B'd any of the ones you mention, but I own a P12, and of all the mics I've worked with, that's the one I favor for vocal-recording. In a way it seems like it rounds off the transients in a very pleasing way, so it just sits in the mix.

I love it <3 <3 <3
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Peluso 22 251 here......

Turned out to be a good match for my voice. I was able to cut way back on processing (EQ, Comp) in the mix when I switched over from KSM32.

Sounds great out in front of an acoustic guitar with a dynamic or the 32 up at the fretboard.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

22 251 for me. doesn't work o female Vx only.
I would add the Bock 195 if I were you. Terrific mic and a killer on a blind shootout.

Oli
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have many mics and love the Charter Oak 538 it seems to need to really warm up ,
but wow it seems amazing to me ,
They use off shore parts as well as US but build them in the US
wish the included cable was longer though.
It sounds great on voices and front kick mic.
Better build quailty than the Peluso and Pearlman, I do not have any Tele Us mics yet though.
JG
Old 18th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Nick, it depends on what application you're talking about. Some are better for acoustic sources and some for voice, and on and on.

War
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Right... Well basically I'm looking for the most versatile in that group... One that's pretty good on eerything from voice to drum room..
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
I have a Peluso 2247 (the shortbody) and I use it all the time. Has loads of character. I personally prefer it over the SE/LE version.
Agreed! Great mic from a great company for a really fair price!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I certainly would look for a Beezneez also.
Their Jade and James are in the price range.

greetz,

Paul
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

okay so I've been checking out these beezneez jade microphones and i heard it compared to an AK47 and it destroyed it... it really sounded great... pretty open and a nice sheen to it... with a round low end... i was impressed... so impressed i emailed ben asking his turnaround time on one of these microphones....These australian dudes really know how to make some great microphones... can anyone expand on these?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Soundelux/Bock U195 gets my vote as a crazy awesome, swiss army knife, somehow- doesn't-suck-on-anything LDC.

And excuse my temporarily wandering off-topic, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Mags View Post
Telefunken M16
I will never buy a product from them after this whole debacle:

R-F-T Telefunken M16 and Apex 460 Bench Test

They re-badged a chinese condenser and marked it up about $1,100. That's bullshit. Way to take a big ol' pee-pee on a well-respected brand, guys.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Put the latest line of 'Custom Shop' ADKs right there too.

I picked up a TC67au (the tube mic with the upgraded 'au' capsule) and really like this mic. Sounds very good on a lot of sources and unlike a few others in this price range shows excellent sibilance control.

(Also sounds great as a front of kick/drum room mic. HUGE bottom end and very focused.)
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey Slutz, i was wondering what everyones input is on these microphones below... I'm thinking of getting one in the near future. Let me knowyour experiences and applications

Peluso 2247
Peluso 22 251
Peluso P12
Telefunken AK47
Telefunken M16

I'm interested in those Let me know what you guys think is the best bang for your buck

Add the Kel HM2d, HM1 and MXL M3 to your list. Also ADK / Golden Age Projects mics are worth a look too.thumbsup
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riantide View Post
Soundelux/Bock U195 gets my vote as a crazy awesome, swiss army knife, somehow- doesn't-suck-on-anything LDC.

And excuse my temporarily wandering off-topic, but

They re-badged a chinese condenser and marked it up about $1,100. That's bullshit. Way to take a big ol' pee-pee on a well-respected brand, guys.

wow, thats messed up.........
telefunken sure gained some clients from this move!!!!!!!!!
you can tell they care about making quality products and not much about scamming consumers.
Old 19th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Right... Well basically I'm looking for the most versatile in that group... One that's pretty good on eerything from voice to drum room..
What do you already own and use? And what about those mics would you change with a "better" one...? I think you may get even better responses by providing that info for reference.

War
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
wow, thats messed up.........
telefunken sure gained some clients from this move!!!!!!!!!
you can tell they care about making quality products and not much about scamming consumers.
read the article again and you'll see it's telefunken marking up $1100...not apex. apex gained the clients.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Some thoughts, including one admittedly "outside the box"...

AT 4033 is as cheap to good ratio as I know. $300-$350. Lean, bright, but to me an honest bright, which is a longshot often in cheaper mics..

AT 4047 sounds good on most things, has what to me is an honest top end, and has more body than the 4033- $550ish? Used it's cheaper...

ADK TC- tube mic around $600 -i think that thing has no right being as good as it is. However, just having a tube mic alone can make everything too "big", so use in addition on some tracks (like shimmery acoustics) something leaner like... the 4033

And just to be a little out there, if you have an excellent mic pre/eq combo, the AEA R84 ribbon is a fabulous way to go- but without the Great River/1073/Whatever channel strip, forgetaboutit... Without a way to add top quality 65+ db of gain, and up to maybe 10dbs at 10k, forget what I said. But if you got that, damn does it sound good to me. My latest gearslut crush. Sigh. Just looks so pretty sitting all alone on the mic stand. That sultry grill...

OK.

Good luck with it all!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think one of the best bargains out there right now are the used Neumann TLM49's. I just picked another one up on Ebay for $740 shipped. (The shock mount alone is $380 new!!)It's a great sounding mic for that kind of money and has great WOW factor for the "clients". Yeah it's transformerless but so what. It sounds good!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Get a used Lawson L47MP. Later as funds allow you can add a 251 head and/or an FET body. The Lawson is a REALLY nice mic.
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
We agree

The 195 smokes!
Old 19th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Yup, the Bock 195 is awesome and versatile (but you have to admit, there is a big swing between FAT and NORMAL that is pretty specific for each setting!).

War
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anything by JJ Audio qualifies for this price range.

You get lots of microphone for your money!

The Mutt is on use in a few threads here. So far its a hit.

I'd also ask about the Chihuahua and the Akida. Soon to start a flamewar for certain!!
Made here in the USA!

Peace
Illumination
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:

Many people know that story, and flip side, by the same reviewer:
Telefunken R-F-T AK47 and M16 MkII Tube Mics reviewed by Dan Richards

These mics are sick. Just make sure you get the MKII...
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

To the OP: If you're interested in exploring the same type of mic, but slightly below your expressed price range, I really like my Rode K2. They go for about $700 new. Price is only a rough indicator of quality, IMHO. Between my Rode K2 and my JLM Baby Animals, I'm pretty impressed with those nutty Australians.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Buy American

Lawson FET - 47 & 251 great mics , well built .

If German is your thing , try Gefell M930
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I own a Beesneez Jade and would highly recommend checking out the Beesneez line of mics. Ben took the time to call me to explain the sonic differences between the Jade and the James (the onlt 2 offerings at the time,even the now popular Arabella wasn't on the website yet). His mics have gone up in price since I bought mine but the bodies are now made in house. The mics are pretty much hand made and the components are all really good. If I had more dough I would probably pick up an Arabella, a Sally, or a Tribute. For what its worth, the mics I was using previously for vocals were a Groove Tubes AM62 and an AT4047. The Jade sits much nicer in the mix than either of those two.
Quote:
okay so I've been checking out these beezneez jade microphones and i heard it compared to an AK47 and it destroyed it... it really sounded great... pretty open and a nice sheen to it... with a round low end... i was impressed... so impressed i emailed ben asking his turnaround time on one of these microphones....These australian dudes really know how to make some great microphones... can anyone expand on these?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear