The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RedOne Lady Gaga Synths
Old 24th December 2009
  #31
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T. Ellis View Post
Yeah for sure. Anyways, any input on the synths?
No disrespect, but stop worrying about what so and so uses. All these top guys are blazing their own trails, and very often they're doing it using the same basic tools we all have and use, the difference is they're taking the time to really dig into the plugins and VI's and come up with their own sound and ideas. If all you do is try to figure out what they're using to cop their sounds, you'll only ever be a "me too" producer or artist, two steps behind what the trailblazers are doing. Be your OWN trailblazer.

You'd be shocked at what you can come up with using just the stock stuff that comes with Logic, or hell, even the AIR instruments in Pro Tools. But you gotta put in the time and sweat equity to really get to know the tools and go beyond the basics.

I truly believe that a big part of the problem for a lot of folks today is that they have TOO many choices, and never take the time to really dig into any one VI or synth and learn how to squeeze every last ounce of creativity and originality out of them out of necessity. Everyone's got a whole stable of plugins and VI's, and they pull one up, scroll through presets, maybe tweak a few knobs, then move onto another one if they don't find what they want right away. Limitations can be a good thing in this case.
Old 26th December 2009
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Eddie T. Ellis's Avatar
 

jseveriniii,

Were you in on the session?
Old 26th December 2009
  #33
Lives for gear
 
FeatheredSerpent's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
No disrespect, but stop worrying about what so and so uses. All these top guys are blazing their own trails, and very often they're doing it using the same basic tools we all have and use, the difference is they're taking the time to really dig into the plugins and VI's and come up with their own sound and ideas. If all you do is try to figure out what they're using to cop their sounds, you'll only ever be a "me too" producer or artist, two steps behind what the trailblazers are doing. Be your OWN trailblazer.

You'd be shocked at what you can come up with using just the stock stuff that comes with Logic, or hell, even the AIR instruments in Pro Tools. But you gotta put in the time and sweat equity to really get to know the tools and go beyond the basics.

I truly believe that a big part of the problem for a lot of folks today is that they have TOO many choices, and never take the time to really dig into any one VI or synth and learn how to squeeze every last ounce of creativity and originality out of them out of necessity. Everyone's got a whole stable of plugins and VI's, and they pull one up, scroll through presets, maybe tweak a few knobs, then move onto another one if they don't find what they want right away. Limitations can be a good thing in this case.
Save your breath dude, he just wants presets that sound the same.
Sad but true.
Old 26th December 2009
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T. Ellis View Post
jseveriniii,

Were you in on the session?
I was an engineer on the RedOne songs on the new "Fame Monster" album that just came out. I am a producer (and engineer) signed to RedOne.

I started working for Red just after the initial GaGa sessions for the first album "The Fame", however the engineer from a lot of those sessions Dave Russell also was on the project again this time around, and he's commented that it's the same chain from the first album.

Hope that helps!
Old 26th December 2009
  #35
Lives for gear
 
jimmydeluxe's Avatar
I'd love to know how much of the melody/lyrics was RedOne and how much was Gaga, if anyone can comment (not speculate!).
Old 26th December 2009
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent View Post
Save your breath dude, he just wants presets that sound the same.
Sad but true.
There aren't going to be very many out there that are exact....as I mentioned he's got an extensive library of his own sound design he's done over the years.

And yes, he uses the built in synths in logic as well and those have appeared in some of his hits.

Just take the time to find interesting, fresh sounding stuff no matter where you get it from. Hell logic itself is highly underated and is very potent if you really put the time in.

Oops! Double post! Apologies...
Old 26th December 2009
  #37
Gear Maniac
 
iziphonics's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T. Ellis View Post
Hey just curious does anyone have any idea what Synths are being used in: "Just Dance" "Poker Face" and Lovegame?"

They all seem pretty similar and Im guessing there Soft Synths.
YouTube - HowTo: Lady Gaga Sound with NI-Massive

Maybe this helps you...
Old 26th December 2009
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Eddie T. Ellis's Avatar
 

+1 with Jimmy
Old 26th December 2009
  #39
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydeluxe View Post
I'd love to know how much of the melody/lyrics was RedOne and how much was Gaga, if anyone can comment (not speculate!).
Most of the time is a total collaboration. Either Red will come up with a track and Gaga will sing a top line/melody over it. If its not working they will adjust the chords so it does work, or Gaga might have a melody and direction, and Red will create a track around it.

Gaga will come up with most of the lyrics, with Red adding some ideas along the way. Its total push and pull in the studio. They have created a sound and a vibe together and are not afraid to experiment, especially with structures.

I think that if you listen to the songs that they do together you will hear that original Gaga sound. Thats not to say that the other songs are not as good, just saying...thats the typical gaga sound.

jseveriniii is a wicked engineer who worked on all the new stuff and is Red's right hand man, so he is up on all his gear.
Old 26th December 2009
  #40
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
She was on interscope for quite some time and couldn't get it going until Akon & Red One were paired with her by Jimmy.
Not at all true!
Old 26th December 2009
  #41
Lives for gear
 
jimmydeluxe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey_R_2_D_2 View Post
Most of the time is a total collaboration. Either Red will come up with a track and Gaga will sing a top line/melody over it. If its not working they will adjust the chords so it does work, or Gaga might have a melody and direction, and Red will create a track around it.

Gaga will come up with most of the lyrics, with Red adding some ideas along the way. Its total push and pull in the studio. They have created a sound and a vibe together and are not afraid to experiment, especially with structures.

I think that if you listen to the songs that they do together you will hear that original Gaga sound. Thats not to say that the other songs are not as good, just saying...thats the typical gaga sound.

jseveriniii is a wicked engineer who worked on all the new stuff and is Red's right hand man, so he is up on all his gear.


Thanks!
Old 26th December 2009
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Eddie T. Ellis's Avatar
 

VERY Informative. Any specifics on the track "Bad Romance"?!
Old 26th December 2009
  #43
Gear Addict
 

He is an extremely talented singer, pianist, writer, and lyricist
Old 27th December 2009
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Eddie T. Ellis's Avatar
 

???
Old 27th December 2009
  #45
Dave!! Good to see you on here! Merry Christmas, I hope all is well....
Old 27th December 2009
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Eddie T. Ellis's Avatar
 

Hey JS!


Question:
Do you have any specifics on the writing and production of Bad Romance? :-)
Old 27th December 2009
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

sorry for off topic,
but we did a xmas metal party today and did stage diving at pokerface lol
the metal community loves this song and i love the album
some sounds are really in the box
others not
im a lot into progressive rock and know the synth sounds
you know them when they are there
but this isnt important for the record
the record is great, catchy, great vocal lines, greatest hype since blue system
i love lady gaga...lol...really....hell awaits
Old 27th December 2009
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T. Ellis View Post
Hey JS!


Question:
Do you have any specifics on the writing and production of Bad Romance? :-)
I think between what Davey_R_2_D_2 has posted and my previous posts, that pretty much covers it.
Old 27th December 2009
  #49
Lives for gear
 

guys thanks so much for contributing insight to the board. I have to ask....in terms of mixing ...is it done ITB for her stuff? How much outboard gear are you using to mix (i read the post about the vocal chain) I love the sound of all the records, they are intense! Keep up the great work.
Old 27th December 2009
  #50
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseveriniii View Post
Dave!! Good to see you on here! Merry Christmas, I hope all is well....
Good to see you too Johnny.
Merry Christmas to u too mate!
Old 27th December 2009
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Dave any chance u could shed some light on my ITB question above? would be much appreciated.
Old 27th December 2009
  #52
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeez View Post
guys thanks so much for contributing insight to the board. I have to ask....in terms of mixing ...is it done ITB for her stuff? How much outboard gear are you using to mix (i read the post about the vocal chain) I love the sound of all the records, they are intense! Keep up the great work.
I know that Robert Mixes ITB. Spike does half and Half.... half ITB and Half on a console with outboard. The Mix I did of "Teeth" was also Half ITB and Half on a console with Outboard.
Old 27th December 2009
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
I'm sure it's more than one synth heh

try here for some insight Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Robert Orton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeez View Post
guys thanks so much for contributing insight to the board. I have to ask....in terms of mixing ...is it done ITB for her stuff? How much outboard gear are you using to mix (i read the post about the vocal chain) I love the sound of all the records, they are intense! Keep up the great work.
try reading the thread - it helps!
Old 27th December 2009
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Dave thanks much for the response! I've read that article...i thought it said he did both i remembered it wrong.
Old 27th December 2009
  #55
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

I love-hate her,
because she's absolutely BRILLIANT at what she does
and how she has worked the industry to her advantage.

It would take a labotomy to get her hook
from Bad Romance out of your mind.

Even if you can't stand it, you still have to admit, she nailed "The Catchy Tune"
with this song.

Like Alice Cooper and all that followed with theatrical presentation,
she's quite fortunate to have all that experience available to
challenge your senses.

Smart Girl
Old 27th December 2009
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I love-hate her,
because she's absolutely BRILLIANT at what she does
and how she has worked the industry to her advantage.

It would take a labotomy to get her hook
from Bad Romance out of your mind.

Even if you can't stand it, you still have to admit, she nailed "The Catchy Tune"
with this song.

Like Alice Cooper and all that followed with theatrical presentation,
she's quite fortunate to have all that experience available to
challenge your senses.

Smart Girl
spot on. I can't hate either although I could use a little less ***** in my music. Just this morning I was going "ba ba ro ma ma.." then my wife repeated. Hey. She can perform and hustle so that deserves respect.
Old 27th December 2009
  #57
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Yep, and at least she's created her own style and vibe that is uniquely her. Also not a coincidence that she has a primary producer/collaborator (RedOne) as opposed to some rotating cast of producers all grafting their own sound onto her.
Old 27th December 2009
  #58
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Yep, and at least she's created her own style and vibe that is uniquely her. Also not a coincidence that she has a primary producer/collaborator (RedOne) as opposed to some rotating cast of producers all grafting their own sound onto her.
true. i don't really like her fillers like "Teeth" etc.. "Telephone" however is pretty good though..
Old 14th January 2010
  #59
Gear Addict
 
MotifStudios's Avatar
 

lol.. a lot of Gaga praise going on here .. she is a good artist, but of course she was going to be huge! Have you seen her videos? the symbolism, imagery.. lol. that stuff is bound to do well... thats media.

This calls for wisdom, ala bible.

but yes, she does rock!
Old 18th March 2010
  #60
Gear Maniac
 
HitzHits's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
No disrespect, but stop worrying about what so and so uses. All these top guys are blazing their own trails, and very often they're doing it using the same basic tools we all have and use, the difference is they're taking the time to really dig into the plugins and VI's and come up with their own sound and ideas. If all you do is try to figure out what they're using to cop their sounds, you'll only ever be a "me too" producer or artist, two steps behind what the trailblazers are doing. Be your OWN trailblazer.

You'd be shocked at what you can come up with using just the stock stuff that comes with Logic, or hell, even the AIR instruments in Pro Tools. But you gotta put in the time and sweat equity to really get to know the tools and go beyond the basics.

I truly believe that a big part of the problem for a lot of folks today is that they have TOO many choices, and never take the time to really dig into any one VI or synth and learn how to squeeze every last ounce of creativity and originality out of them out of necessity. Everyone's got a whole stable of plugins and VI's, and they pull one up, scroll through presets, maybe tweak a few knobs, then move onto another one if they don't find what they want right away. Limitations can be a good thing in this case.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Yep, you totally nailed it. I agree. I use Logic and it's mindblowing what awesome sounds you can create. Espacially for the kind of music Redone etc. do.

I'm spending hours to figure out what freaking AD DA converter I want to get and he uses a Ensemble which in this board is not considered as top notch.

thank you....you really made me think about myself ;-).

the O
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear