The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
converge - axe to fall
Old 18th November 2009
converge - axe to fall

Just picked this up on vinyl. Once again, amazing record, amazing recording. More heavy records need to sound like this.

I know Kurt posts here every once in a while. Hoping you can give us some insight on the tracking/mixing of this record.
Old 18th November 2009
I like You Fail Me more, more dirt and drums didnt sound like samples - there was more place for sounds (beautiful sounds!) , but it is still above any metal band now in any mean
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

I like no heroes
Old 18th November 2009
did he mix this one? for some reason i thought someone else did the new record.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Jane Doe will always be quintessential in my opinion, Matt Ellard did an amazing job on that one and songwriting was at it's pinnacle... but these guys really can do no wrong.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

I know that he uses a lot of Heil Microphones on drums.. PR 30 for floor toms and snare for sure. I think PR40 in the kick is what I read. He says PR30s rule on guitar cabs as well, and judging by the sound of this new record, and no heroes, he wasn't lying.

I'm still curious as to exactly how the guitar tone on "plagues" from no heroes was recorded. Sounds like some either really nasty roomy layers or someone stuck a mic in a metal garbage can. haha.

Also, Shane, if you're reading this reply, this is Kevin Rendleman from Berklee. Long time no talk!

-Kevin
Old 18th November 2009
hey kevin.

if you are ever in nyc, give me a hollah.
Old 18th November 2009
looking at the sleeve it says he recorded and mixed the whole thing again. Mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I would like to hear more on the recording if possible. Kurt? Kurt ? little help..

The last 3.

you fail me, no heroes, and axe to fall are just incredible. They don't sound like any of the other homogenized metal/hardcore records out there. Props are definitely in order.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Addict

You Fail Me is my favorite Converge album from an album standpoint. The songs are great, they flow, i don't skip over one song... although I feel like it's pretty rough and murky sounding compared to No Heroes and Axe to Fall.

Axe to Fall is without a doubt the best sounding Converge album. Everything is clear, precise, cutting. It hasn't left my car stereo since it came out, literally. I still pick up on new things each time I listen (bells in the background, etc). As much as I'd love for Kurt to go over the whole record in detail, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that. I can't wait to hear future releases recorded at the revamped God City.

but yeah, Kurt, if you read this, you're an inspiration to me as a musician and budding engineer. Thanks for being an all around kickass dude.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Awesome record, love it.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

whoah okay i've been listening to Axe to Fall quite a bit since my earlier post (made a few weeks ago?)... wow i'm really gaining more appreciation for this record with each listen.

song textures are really diverse and unexpected... and songwriting! i feel like i'm catching glimpses of older 'Caring is Killing' and 'Petitioning the Empty Sky' era Converge buried in here, in a way we haven't heard in a long time... it's awesome!
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear

reviving an old thread because i just picked up the cd and i'm amazed on how great some of these guitar tones are, among other things. i can't even describe in words how much i love the tone he gets on here!

pulled this pic' from the godcity site... this has gotta be the secret
Attached Thumbnails
converge - axe to fall-l_1ae1fff035044eceb1af3a90437ba384.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear