The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the purpose of a MIDI foot switch for a drum machine?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

What is the purpose of a MIDI foot switch for a drum machine?

I just got a BOSS as my first drum machine. It has a MIDI IN. What is the purpose of a MIDI Foot switch? And also what are the exact cables I am looking for to connect my drum machine to an amp, speaker, my P.C. and/or headphone jack, e.g. 1/8 to 1/8 RCA?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would normally use MIDI in to control the drum machine from another source (i.e. keyboard controller or another drum machine). I wouldn't necessarily think this was designed as a foot switch. Hooking two drum machines up together is also often done this way. When this is done properly, both drum machines will be synced together, and play in time with one another.

To get the audio from the drum machine into your amp, just take a guitar cable (standard 1/4" phono plug) out of the drum machine and plug it into your amp. If you want to plug it into your device that has an RCA input, get a 1/4" to RCA adaptor at Radio Shack.

BTW - If your drum machine is stereo, you'll want to get 2 cables and 2 adaptors.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear