The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best LIVE Piano/Keyboard???
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
The acoustic piano in the Nord Stage collapses in mono. At least it did in the first version. I own version one.... in stereo, the piano is stunning. In mono, it's garbage. Never really phased me, as I use it primarily for electric pianos and organs.

They may have fixed this in version 2. I'd be shocked if they didn't actually.
Yamahas are notorious for this as well. The best solution is to just take one of the two outputs rather than trying to collapse both of them to mono.
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Yamahas are notorious for this as well. The best solution is to just take one of the two outputs rather than trying to collapse both of them to mono.
I'm using the Nord Stage 2 in a gig at the moment that has a mono PA, and the pianos sound nice and full, no problem problem of 'mono collapse' that I've run into. I send stereo out of it into my on-stage mixer, and somewhere between that mixer and the PA everything is collapsed to mono, but I don't have any problems of thinning out or phasiness or whatever.

-synthoid
Old 28th August 2012
Gear Maniac

I live in a remote place so I can't try out anything here. I was in Paris recently and I tried a few, I was impressed with the Yamaha CP5, excellent keys and sounds.

I do not see it mentioned here anywhere. Does the CP300 overcomes it?

&@ F
Old 14th September 2012
I have a Nord Stage and a Yamaha CP33. I like the CP33 piano feel the best although some of the Nord piano sounds are great. In my home studio I play the Nord piano with the Yamaha keyboard so that's good. And, since I live and work in NYC, the Nord is about as heavy as I can stand. Anything more and it will never go out of the house.

Will check the Roland 700NX (think that's the model) but I think if I could fatten up the sound of the Nord with some decent EQ it would be great.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

P200, p250 or cp300 I have 200 and CP 300 and do not play without them!
Best stage piano IMO.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

I was a Steinway dealer for nearly 20 years, and have
a pristine 1910 Steinway. When I'm on the bandstand
I want a Yamaha. Solid Build, Solid Touch, Solid Tone.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomog View Post
P200, p250 or cp300 I have 200 and CP 300 and do not play without them!
Best stage piano IMO.

I think that you are right, however, I don't hear much improvement with the latest Yamaha's over the P200, still a decent touch for a portable piano.

As someone said above, the latest Nords, whilst not maybe having the touch of the Yamaha, are fantastic. The string resonance feature they have is a really good thing. They don't offer as many sounds as many others makes do, but they tend to have one decent concert grand sound, one decent rock piano sound, one good upright sound (the honky tonk sounds fun too), etc, to be honest for live work that's really what you need. The Ivory sample grand I think is a bit better still, however, using samples on a computer live is a risk.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

I think its a toss up between the Yamaha CP300 and the Nord Stage 2
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=Roland;8261885]I think that you are right, however, I don't hear much improvement with the latest Yamaha's over the P200, still a decent touch for a portable piano.

Agreed! That's why I like them all! I hope they never change to much! The cp has a good Rhodes and a usable pad to mix with the piano. If I'm using patches i just hook up my laptop with logic and kontakt and I have all the sound I could want and my favorite stage piano
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Korg kronos sounds like real piano...ousm 4gigs of piano sound and great key response..
Though its a bit expensive,i am sure you wont regret it
Old 10th November 2012
Here for the gear

I have a cp300 which I love. I just wish yamaha would put some other pianos on it other than the bright yamahas. The piano sound is great for some situaltions butit would be great to have a range. I really like the wurli on it too although the rhodes seems pretty poor. I guess Wurli is easier to get on a piano as you only really have to nail one sound where as rhodes is such a variable instrument that its more difficult.
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hi everyone,

It's 2018. What do you think about this topic?

Just my 2 cents:

I owned Nord Stage 2, and I still own Yamaha S90ES. I played NS2 for 6 years, and S90ES was in garage, collecting dust. It was too heavy and without case, comparing to NS2 with case :-) Nord has a good midrange and when you hear it at the start, it sounds present and promising on the stage, but in the same time it sounds "small" and little bit "mp3", if you know what I mean. Without detail and resolution. I realized that I always needed to add a couple of [email protected] from the mid eq, to compensate that detail it lacked in compressed samples. Later, I tried Nord Electro 5, and I noticed that detail is already there.
When I sold my NS2 I didn't have a "ready to buy" alternative" so I had to make my patches for couple of pop rock bands on S90ES and MainStage. My first gig on big stage - S90 sounded like a giant truck comparing to NS2! Not so much character, detuned and non-balanced notes, which makes NS2 special, but 3 times bigger, with great resolution and detail, weight in the lo-end, without being boomy, resonant, sustain, everything! Of course, every patch was tweaked to make the best of it. At last, it sounded exactly as I wanted to sound, quality and part-of-the-band wise.
I don't know if I am right, please I would like to hear more opinion about this.
Concerning CP300 - I still think that this kind of piano is the best for stage use. I heard CP4 - it sounds amazing, but it is little bit too soft and gentle in mid-hi mid range, comparing to solid CP300. CP4 is better for detailed, solo works, but in a band situation, especially with guitar bands and dense situations, rough CP300 still wins. A I think S90ES is near there. Solid, not so much character, but very very thankfull on stage.

Thank you! All the best to all of you!
Old 10th April 2018
liv
Gear Addict

Roland RD-700.
Nord Stage.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear