The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio
Old 17th November 2009
News Desk Editor

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio

I dropped in on [email protected] doing a demo evening at the old Morgan studios complex, in more recent past named Battery Studios, now a Miloco offshoot and home to several producer suites and larger studios including the stunning looking (and almost totally red) Alfa Centauri SSL G+ room (pictures to follow) and Flood and Alan Moulder's Neve equipped Assault & Battery 2 tracking & mixing studio. There was a Duality on display in the reception lobby, a Matrix on top of the control room outboard rack + an XDesk.

SSL's newest product X Patch was anounced and is said to be out v soon. SSL info here. Solid State Logic

The demo took place in Assault & Battery 2. Inspired by my new low light capable camera I got snapping away. Below are some photos (please forgive the grainy shots, it was very low light!)

The studio seems ideal for tracking rock bands and has that solid 70's constuction feel to it.

Here is some background on the the studio, Flood and Alan Moulder. (I think Flood was there for a sec but left before I got there)

Flood and Alan Moulder Interview Miloco Studios

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-jim-_-ssl-giving-demo-flood-_-alan-moulders-studio-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-atendees-live-area-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-art-shot-self-portrait-live-area-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-neve-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-helios-rack-assault-_-battery-2.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-rack-1-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-rack-2-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-rack-3-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-rack-4-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-rack-5-assault-_-battery-2.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-daw-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-rack-6-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-patch-bay-_-grammy-.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-delays-.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-hifi.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-ampex-atr-1_2-inch.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-machine-room.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-belongs-to_.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-jim-_-ssl-centre-explaining-matrix.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-synth-room-photo-1-assault-_-battery-2.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-synth-room-photo-2-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-synth-room-photo-3-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-synth-room-photo-4-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-synth-room-photo-5-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-art-shot-od-angled-ceiling-_-live-room-assault-_-battery-2.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-wired-boogie-box.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-wired-boogie-box-close-up.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-di-boxes.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-backline-photo-1-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-backline-photo-2-assault-_-battery-2.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-backline-photo-3-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-backline-photo-4-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-backline-photo-5-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-backline-photo-6-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-live-room.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-control-room-assault-_-battery-2.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-jim-brought-along-earliest-ssl-prototype-module.jpg  
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the pics !!!! That studio has everything you'd ever need , it even had The Box Of Truth ,
Old 18th November 2009
Solid State Logic

Great night on Monday! Thanks to all the 'Slutz who came down.

Flood and Alan did a 20 minute intro at the start of the night, and Jules missed out because of his "fashionable" timekeepingthumbsup Also closed on the night (unfortunately) was A&B1. This is Alan and Flood's SSL mix room with a $k that they bought from Trent Reznor's studio in New Orleans.

We'll be doing some more events with Miloco in the New Year.

Great pictures Jules!!!!!!
Old 24th November 2009
thumbsup

What is the story behind that vintage module Jim?
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
thumbsup

I was about to ask the same thing.

thumbsupthumbsup

Box of truth is the shiznit btw
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

I can't find the info of the x-patch. I need to know if it's what I think it is!
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Addict

That studio brings back some memories...it's a gem..spent many an hour playing the pop star in there...

Joe Strummer used to practise with his band in there...I would sit in the control room watching and eating lunch...wish I'd filmed it!!!
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

So by the looks of the pictures they (FLOOD 'N MOULDER) are now totally ITB??
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Question for anyone who can help:

What is the rackmount unit in rack #1, directly beneath the Distressor?

It looks like a TL Audio logo, but i have never seen anything TL Audio lookin that sexy. It looks like two mic preamp/EQ modules, and very Neve/Calrec/Audix-ish.

Anyone?
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

In the early TL Audio days they racked Neve 33114 (or 33115) modules.

These it is...

wolfgang
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolstudio View Post
In the early TL Audio days they racked Neve 33114 (or 33115) modules.

These it is...

wolfgang
Yup totally recognized that broadcast bizness...

So....SICK!

I love it!
Old 25th November 2009
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
thumbsup

It's one of the modules from the first "Acorn" console - Serial no 15. This was the board that Colin Sanders designed for his Acorn Studios in Stonesfield (Oxfordshie UK, original home of SSL and only 10 miles from the factory we moved into when SSL got too big for the village of Stonesfield), and it developed into the SL4000B. Note the dynamics section - it has SSL's auto-attack circuit, but is actually a mono version of the Bus Comp (as featured in the 4000B but channel dynamics circuit was changed for the 4000E). So this module is actually from the "first SSL" ever made.

I have it sitting in my office to remind us of where we came from.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

thx, awesome thumbsup
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

This may be an old wives tale , if old wives were ever really in to gear !!!

But I heard that the ssl at that studio was soldered by a guy with ocd and built it amazingly well . ( though he only built two before going mad and killed his wife!! )

I don't know maybe it's just an outrageous rumor !!! Still, ads to the mystery to the studio .

Anyone else hear this ? or is it just porky pies ?

Brett
Old 26th November 2009
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettooo View Post
This may be an old wives tale , if old wives were ever really in to gear !!!

But I heard that the ssl at that studio was soldered by a guy with ocd and built it amazingly well . ( though he only built two before going mad and killed his wife!! )

I don't know maybe it's just an outrageous rumor !!! Still, ads to the mystery to the studio .

Anyone else hear this ? or is it just porky pies ?

Brett
Alan and Flood told that same story at the event on the night. May well be true............
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Alan and Flood told that same story at the event on the night. May well be true............
So what are you saying ..........that SSL is HAUNTED ?!!!!
Old 27th November 2009
News Desk Editor

Also in the same building is the amazing looking Alfa Centauri studio!

Enjoy! heh
Attached Thumbnails
Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2026.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2027.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2028.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2029.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2030.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2031.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2032.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2033.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2034.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2035.jpg  

Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2036.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2037.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2038.jpg   Jules visit to SSL demo day at Flood and Alan Moulder's Assault & Battery 2 studio-img_2043.jpg  
Old 17th March 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk at Gearslutz.com View Post
Also in the same building is the amazing looking Alfa Centauri studio!

Enjoy! heh
Wow that studio is amazing!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear