The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why would Harrison miss the PC boat with Mixbuss?
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Head

For what it's worth, I'm a PC user, and I had been with Emagic ever since running Creator on an Atari 1040, and when Apple bought Logic and dropped PC support, I felt pissed off and hurt, like "OK screw you guys, I guess you don't need me as a customer..."dfegad
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I love the "My custom built PC will smoke your X macintosh" posts. They get me everytime!

hehheh

I'm not saying it wont, it's just that it reminds me of third grade.
Old 25th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Thielman View Post
I would like to "chime" in here if I may…

The Mac vs. PC debate really was not a factor in our decision regarding the platform “choice” for mixbus. It was a much more practical decision which was actually made more than 20 years ago. We simply do not have, nor have we ever had in place a development team for PC based products. That’s not to say that we never will but at this point in time there really was no decision to be made which was our only choice. Geddy Lee said somthing to that effect one time as wellJ

There are basically two basic principles we use when designing and bringing any product to market.

1. How can we bring the highest possible quality product to market fast and cost effectively?

2. How can we support that high quality product fast and cost effectively?

I’m not sure any one realizes how impossible this product would have been just 5 years ago. The reason we are even able to offer a product like mixbus at that price point is because of our commitment and the committments of many others to the open source development community and our many years of product development on Mac and more recently Linux based platforms. This product development approach is what made it possible to meet those two requirements with mixbus. We do not promote Mac over Windows we simply must develop products that fit within our scope of being able to handle them both on a developmental and support basis.

So far we have managed to bring a high quality cost effective product to market with good results and we plan to continue our support of those efforts with more of the same in the future.

Gary Thielman
President
Harrison Consoles

This guy might actually know what he's talking about. Pretty much sums it up in my book. Thanks Gary.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francz View Post
This guy might actually know what he's talking about. Pretty much sums it up in my book. Thanks Gary.
Exactly.

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Right... Being a cost effective guy I will not even try the Mixbuss out.

Doesn't fit my investment plan. Which involves money and time already invested on PC technology.

There are other products that support my platform of choice.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Geddy Lee said somthing to that effect one time as well
What does HE have to do with it?????
Old 7th December 2009
Harrison works with the linux/opensource comunity, so does SSL and others. I think that they see HUGE potential in Linux.
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Thielman View Post
So far we have managed to bring a high quality cost effective product to market with good results and we plan to continue our support of those efforts with more of the same in the future.

Gary Thielman
President
Harrison Consoles
I'll chime in, and resurrect a slightly old thread, here. And take this opportunity to thank you, Mr. Thielman, for Harrison's support of Ardour. And for releasing Mixbus. Your comment above is very encouraging indeed.

While I'm looking forward to Mixbus being available on Linux (as I've related to Ben; hopefully not too many times to where I've become an annoyance to him), the sound is simply so stellar that it made sense to me to buy a Mac (used, perhaps, and older, for sure, but a real mac) just to run Mixbus.

I've been an Ardour user for a while (hmmm, five years I guess, doing at least an 'audio hour' of production per week as a side thing), on Linux, and seeing what Mixbus could do made the decision for me. Well, that and the need to evaluate OS X compatibility with our applications, as part of my day job as CIO for a radio astronomy observatory....

I've not regretted it. So I now have a couple of older PowerMac G4's, dual 1.42GHz with 1GB of RAM in one and 2GB of RAM in the other, and they both are easily up to this task. At least for the track counts I'm likely to use.

And they are certainly 'easy' to use; thanks to the Unix-ish underpinnings of Mac OS X I feel right at home, coming from Linux. The rants about it being a toy, etc, are simply full of hot air. Mac OS X, I've found, is easy to use, easy to administer (including backups, clones, DVD and CD burning, migrating ALL my stuff to a new Mac, upgrading the size of the hard drive; it all Just Works), with the exception of uninstallation of things, but that's something that's easily dealt with. The migration tool built in to Mac OS X whoops up on anything I've seen in Windows, of any version. It isn't just capable of migrating your data; it can migrate all your applications, too, without you having to reinstall them.

Yet I've found that Mac OS X doesn't get in my way if I need to do something more complex (like build from source the CAPS LADSPA plugin suite, which I use heavily, especially for the kickin' plate reverb); it was unintrusive.

Will it replace Linux as my primary desktop? No, of course not. Is it a problem to use it for this particular niche. Nope, not in the least. And, come to find out, since I needed DDP export anyway, the least expensive DDP export and import capable audio editor I've found only runs on Mac (Wave Editor by Audiofile Engineering; if anyone knows of another for less than the $79 for Wave Editor, please let me know!).

Next time I buy a new laptop, I'll probably get a Mac, and then set it up to multiboot the OS's I need; since I don't use touchpads anyway, the lack of more than one button is a non-issue; I'll just plug in my Logitech trackball and keep on running.

I've done the research, and the math, and compared to workstation-class laptops, like my current Dell Precision M65, MacBook Pros are downright affordable. And that's the class of machine that the higher-end 'Pro' Macs should be compared to; the I/O, the expandability, the ergonomics from a maintenance standpoint, the use of workstation-class components, makes the comparison of, say, a high-end multi-Xeon Mac Pro to workstation-class Windows machines, for example a Dell Precision 690, the only one that's really fair.

The last Precision 690 we bought, a year and a half or so ago, cost nearly $10,000, was quad-processor (two dual core Xeons), had 16GB of RAM, 3 300GB 10,000 RPM serial attached SCSI drives, a workstation-class nVidia Quadro graphics card; in essence, the components of a roughly equivalent Mac Pro.

It really is about the applications; but, yeah, I really really would like to see Mixbus on Linux. But it's not a dealbreaker.

And I am beyond ecstatic with Mixbus's sound!
Old 15th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletude View Post
Maybe a little off topic but does Apple (as a developer) get the same kind of hate for only supporting Logic on the Mac platform?
Oh yeah - there was a ton of it at the time. This isn't even close.

Having said that, the Harrison Prez himself has explained what the deal is with Mac/PC releases and his company, so it's a done deal.

The other piece of audio software I use runs way better now on a PC, and my Mac G5 is long in the tooth, so I was a bit stressed at the cost of a new MacPro in order
to run Mixbus here, when I had just committed to a new PC box, so I too wish Mixbus
were available for PC, but it ain't...

In the meantime, I've got Mixbus running well on the G5.

T
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty View Post
I think a big part of the low price is due to the fact that Ardour is open-source software, and it's not available for PC. Having said that, I'd love to see something like this for Reaper (and I'd bet money that given the instant popularity of Mixbus, there's a PC equivalent being worked on by someone) or better yet, see Mixbus available for Linux. Just my two cents.

agreed.

im a pc guy, i use macs and pc about equally.

in my 'personal "non professesional" environment i use linux distros.
ive been usuing ubuntu almost exclusivley, along with messing with the debian platform in general.

i tried ardour in ubuntu, but im so ingrained in PT i dont have the patience.
maybe in a few years, if the linux community does to PT what it did with openoffice...I'm gonna take a serious look.

as far as the mac vs PC thing goes...im not going to participate, but i will say as an opensource supporter and regular user, programs that run multi-platform get my monetary support before pc or mac only programs. if personal beliefs come into play.

this mixbus looks like a great program, and im not exactly sure what there doing, but if it runs natively in ardour, my prediction is that the linux community wont stand for it and crack it using "free software for all" ideology.
Old 15th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
Quote:
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.
Old 15th January 2010
tekis
Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666
Quote:
I will choose freewill.

"joeeq" is sharp!

Last edited by tekis; 15th January 2010 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: [email protected]#$%^&*( GearMonkeys!
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Francz;4800786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
I don't see a lot of your "huge community" chiming in here. I suspect that's because the majority of the serious music community is in fact a Mac based community.

It really has nothing to do with the year. In fact because it is 2010 and given the history of "Windows" and in particular professional developemnt train wrecks within that platform is probably why they intentionally "missed" the PC boat. IMO
Schmuck.

Anyway, seeing this available for PC would be very interesting indeed. We use mac and pc at our studio, and quite frankly, I couldn't give a flying shit what platform I'm on - more important things to think about here, like ENGINEERING...
Old 17th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I will choose freewill.

Nice one joeq. I almost forgot I made that reference. Sometimes I forget that I'm old

Gary Thielman
Harrison
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear