Lives for gear

Now this is music....

YouTube - Take 5
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Actually this is....
YouTube - Frank Zappa at 22 (2 of 4)
Old 17th November 2009
Those are both brilliant. In fact, until this moment I did not realize that I'd seen that Zappa segment on the Steve Allen show. (And may have seen the Brubeck performance, too, he popped up a lot while "Take 5" was hot.)

I went to see Brubeck when I was in 9th grade (I think it was). It was a college show and my dad dropped me off and I sat there among all these early 60s college kids in sport coats and skinny ties and I was fighting a continual urge to 'dance in my seat' but all around me, everyone sat perfectly still. It was weird. I don't know how you could sit still to such rhythmically provocative music. (And wasn't that a great drum solo in there? Talk about elegant technique. Man.)

A few years later ('68), I saw Zappa and the Mothers and that was great, too. Although no one seemed to know how to move around to that music, either. heh

I have to say, though, that that Zappa clip really takes me back around in a very profound way. I had utterly and completely forgotten him on Allen's show by the time I got into the mothers. But I remember the name of the record coming out "next week," -- How's Your Bird -- that was what clicked it. For me at the time, I think I thought of this as Cage or Partch like, who I had a sketchy knowledge of from the public library's record collection.

Despite Allen's noted distaste for R&R, looks like he was more than willing to meet Zappa halfway. Very cool.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Love Brubeck.... Wish i could have seen him.... Zappa as well.... that was a cool video....
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
Love Brubeck.... Wish i could have seen him....
He still plays..
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
Love Brubeck.... Wish i could have seen him.... Zappa as well.... that was a cool video....
Didnt mean to hijack your thread ian, just had to throw that out there. Thanks for the great Brubeck vid
Old 17th November 2009
"So many "new age" drummers don't understand this.

Just hitting hard like a freaking gorilla doesn't mean you sound fantastic."

Brubeck... Great music and video. outstanding sound quality. Is it from a dvd remastered?

how can they get this clarity on a live performance... man i have too much to improve. Who were the guys behind the recording?

Zappa is great too. I've just converted 3 rare vinyls of them to cd/wave for a client here in Rio.
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
He still plays..
And that is so hip.

Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
He still plays..

thats amazing. gotta catch him next time hes in NY.

Funny how there are no mics in the shot either. wonder how they mic'd it?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheMTN View Post
Didnt mean to hijack your thread ian, just had to throw that out there. Thanks for the great Brubeck vid
no worries, im glad you did.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear