The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
8 mic pre's with adat out (£500 - 1000) Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

8 mic pre's with adat out (£500 - 1000)

I am looking at buying 8 mic pre's (for recording drums) to hook up to my 002 rack (via ADAT) for around £500 - £1000

I have looked at the following:

Octopre LE
Octopre MKII

Presonus Digimax FS

Audient ASP 008

RME Octamic II

Does anyone have any opinions on these or any other options that may suit?

Thanks
Old 17th November 2009
I've got the Octopre Platinum w/ADAT out. I like it, 8 more than useful pres at a good price with dynamics on each channel. I wouldn't get the LE or MKII (LE by another name) but that's just me. There are better preamps out there but the focusrite are hard to beat for the price. My other preamps get used a lot more (API, A-designs, etc) but I don't have enough to do a live band at once so that's when the focusrites come out to play. They haven't let me down yet and beat most mid range console pre's by a mile.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
I've got the Octopre Platinum w/ADAT out. I like it, 8 more than useful pres at a good price with dynamics on each channel. I wouldn't get the LE or MKII (LE by another name) but that's just me. There are better preamps out there but the focusrite are hard to beat for the price. My other preamps get used a lot more (API, A-designs, etc) but I don't have enough to do a live band at once so that's when the focusrites come out to play. They haven't let me down yet and beat most mid range console pre's by a mile.

how would you rate the dynamics and HPF on the octopre?

I already have the liquid mix so can use this in the box if needed.

So the MK II pre's are the same as the octopre is that correct?
Old 17th November 2009
I looked at several of these and settled on the Digimax FS, it seems to do the job pretty well, and since then I've generally seen more love for them then the comparable Focusrite. I run them fairly hot sometimes, and have never noticed noise at all until I'm at the max gain setting, and even then it's pretty minor. Other than that they seem very neutral. I've heard decent things about the conversion, though I haven't used it myself.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

The audient is great! Only downsides - audible fan and no power switch.

otherwise highly recommended. Sounds great - very clear and punchy, great filters.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
The audient is great! Only downsides - audible fan and no power switch. otherwise highly recommended. Sounds great - very clear and punchy, great filters.
Yes - I can confirm that as I bought yours!
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Mackie Onyx 800R is a good unit,good converters too.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

I was just informed that it is not quite as simple as I thought to hook up an RME Octamic or Audient 008 to my 002 rack as I thought.

As far as I know the 002 rack can add an extra 8 I/O via ADAT lightpipe (this can only carry up to 48Khz sample rate.

The RME Octamic II has:

2 x ADAT Output (S/MUX, up to 96 kHz)
4 x AES/EBU Output (D-sub, up to 192 kHz)
1 x AES/SPDIF Sync Input

Can I just use the ADAT outs to connect to my 002? I have been told that this is not the case as the interface usually sends the signal via firewire but the 002 can only use ADAT for the extra I/O.
If ADAT only runs 48kHz how come they state up to 96kHz?
What are the clocking options with this unit? Can I clock from this rather than from the 002 internal?

The Audient ASP008 has:

Optional 48/96kHz AES, S/PDIF and 48kHz ADAT light-pipe
Ext Word Clock via BNC

The same questions as above for the octamic.......??????

Also if was to get rid of my 002 rack and move to Logic (I only have LE and could use the extra tracks and zero latency) would you recommend this??
I would only have 8 I/O but would buy another as soon as had the cash. Is it as simple as attaching either of the units via firewire (as with the 002) to my macbook pro and away you go????

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get my head around all this.
All replies appreciated.
Old 19th November 2009
teo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomello View Post
Was about to write the same thing...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

dude all you have to do is find ANY pre or converter with adat out and connect the adat OUT to the adat IN on the 002, and visa versa for outputs/clock, etc..

personally id go with the Presonus Digimax FS...it's supposed to have a great clock and great converters...and it also has inserts on every channel which comes in handy when you need to insert a compressor or something....hell if you want to record drums you can match it up with an ACP88 and habe 8 channels of compression and gate right there.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

without meaning to derail the thread completely... in a similar situation; but what is good under a grand which DOESNT have pres; just converters, or ones where you can bypass the pres?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

the Motu 8pre isnt bad at all for this, always been happy with it. probably better ones out there though.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
This would be my pick for your price range.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
without meaning to derail the thread completely... in a similar situation; but what is good under a grand which DOESNT have pres; just converters, or ones where you can bypass the pres?
I like the MOTU 828 series.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

The RME is very nice.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I love the audient. Could quite happily work with just these pres.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=dougens;4800416]
Can I just use the ADAT outs to connect to my 002? I have been told that this is not the case as the interface usually sends the signal via firewire but the 002 can only use ADAT for the extra I/O.
If ADAT only runs 48kHz how come they state up to 96kHz?
What are the clocking options with this unit? Can I clock from this rather than from the 002 internal?

Also if was to get rid of my 002 rack and move to Logic (I only have LE and could use the extra tracks and zero latency) would you recommend this??
I would only have 8 I/O but would buy another as soon as had the cash. Is it as simple as attaching either of the units via firewire (as with the 002) to my macbook pro and away you go????

QUOTE]

Any of the units you're looking at will interface with your 002 via ADAT, giving you 8 extra ins (and with some units 8 outs as well).

ADAT only goes up to 48K unless you use SMUX, which uses two parallel ADAT lightpipes to carry 4 streams each of up to 96 K, although this is of no use with the 002 as it only has single ADAT in and out - however when working at 44.1 or 48, all the units you're looking at , even the ones that run up to 96, will work no problem on a single ADAT lightpipe connection when working at 44.1 and 48 sample rates

You can clock from any of these units, but only using the ADAT signal as sync as the 002 doesn't have BNC wordclock.

I don't want to recommend any particular unit as I haven;t extensively tested all, but of the Octopres, I would definitely suggest either the LE or the Mk II - the dynamics on my Octopre NEVER get used, and it's only other real advantage is the higher sample rates, which you won;t be using. The Octopre LE has the same mic pres, and the digital card has the advantage of AD as well as DA. Also digital village are doing these for £225 including digital card at the moment, so they're an absolute steal. The MK II does have the advantage of pads on the channels, but it's an extra £100 or so.

Regarding getting rid of the 002 and going over to Logic, why get rid of the 002? You can use this as an interface with any DAW, not just protools, so if you keep it and get an extra set of 8 preamps, you'll have the 16 I/O, plus all the features you want from Logic, plus you'll still have protools if you want to import session
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Get one while they last. Mackie just discontinued it, which is really too bad.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hey all,

I'm in the same boat and am looking to possibly upgrade my Digi 002 (control surface) setup with some Focusrite gear this Christmas (as I like the pre's on my old mBox 1) - but am open to others in this price range, so please quote me what's best in your view sound/quality wise, etc...

TBH, I only need 2 quality pre's to track guitar and vocals. The Digi 002's are pretty dull IMHO, I'm not liking them in all honesty. The unit has to have ADAT out to connect to my 002, and I'd like better clocking and AD/DA.

What would you recommend?

I'm looking at the Liquid Saffire56 for its Liquid technology pre's, and the OctoPre Mk2. With the former, is the Firewire connection required if one is using this solely via ADAT? I.e. Can you just use it standalone, connect via ADAT and use the pre's?

Thanks in advance for all the help and guidance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Ash thumbsup
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

I´m very happy with the Audient. Sounds pretty good. You get also line ins to use the AD section
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Nut

+1 on the audient

Mine have been working like a charm for a year now
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

A little pricey with the additional ADAT card to purchase too
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Just purchased the Focusrite MK1 Octopre with ADAT Card. Will comment on the sound late tomorrow/the day after or so. Hoping to buy some Adam A7's this Christmas too.

Cheers,

Ash

Edit; MK1 didn't arrive with ADAT card (even though I purchased it with it specifically), so sent it back for a refund. Will upgrade to the new Octopre MK2 instead for the extra dough as I'm sure the technology must be better, right? Any thoughts on that model?

Last edited by AshleySmith06; 1st December 2009 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: getting Focusrite Octopre MK2 instead

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search