The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Difference between space echoes: RE-101, RE-150, RE-201 (other than spring reverb)
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Difference between space echoes: RE-101, RE-150, RE-201 (other than spring reverb)

Hi there. I have a space echo question. I know these things are discussed quite a bit but I haven't been able to figure this out exactly through searching.

I'm wondering how the RE-150 and RE-101 differ from the more well known RE-201. I understand those first two don't have the spring reverb or EQ that I believe the 201 has. Is that the only difference?

Are the extra delay settings on the 201 simply combining spring reverb with repeat patterns? Are the duration/number/etc. of repeats on the 101/150 just as controllable as the 201?

Finally, I think I've seen it mentioned that the 150 is made with different components than the 201 and therefore less gritty or something. I'm not sure if I misunderstood this or not. Anyone know about it?

Thanks very much to any space echo experts out there who can help me understand!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

The sound varies from each unit...I did a record with an RE-150 and the sound blew my mind, so much so that I waited and bought an RE-201 that was in mint cosmetic/functional condition. Sounded completely different and I ended up selling it...
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the info Mike. Very interesting. Until I started doing some more reading I had no idea they differed so much.

Could you explain at all how the 150 sounded different from the 201? What made you keep the 150?

I'd really like to get one of them but can't figure out which is right for me. I definitely can't afford more than one at the moment, so any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Guru

Or you could just think of it as a tape machine.....and if you had two old Revox's even of the same model number, I reckon no one would really assume they'd sound identical today......
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecorwin View Post
The sound varies from each unit...I did a record with an RE-150 and the sound blew my mind, so much so that I waited and bought an RE-201 that was in mint cosmetic/functional condition. Sounded completely different and I ended up selling it...
Indeed.

They can be tweaked quite a bit internally which may have a lot to do with this..but of course tape age,head wear etc are major factors to.

I had 2 301's which sounded very different.

Check out this for some info re:differences.

http://www.student.foi.hr/~rlogozar/mbsn1/AnalogSynthsRolandTapeEchoes.html
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the information everyone. That does make sense that even within a model there's gonna be a lot of variation. Definitely good to keep in mind.

I'm still wondering about any specific differences between the 150 (or 101) and the 201 that would add even more difference. People talk about the 501/555 sounding cleaner and less gritty due to the components used to build it. Is the 150 also different in this way? Or does it have the same dirtiness that the 201 has?

Also, what about the different delay settings: pattern, repeats, strength. I'm wondering how much control you have over the many aspects of the delay. It seems like the 201 has quite a bit of control, and I'm trying to figure out if the 150 offers the same parameters to adjust.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Any other ideas about this?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Admittedly, I have no idea as to what is specifically different between the components used in the 150 and the 201. I guess it is like a tape deck: how it's calibrated, how much wear and flutter is exhibited, etc. The 150 I used sounded excellent in regards to its repeats...gritty, grainy, oozing with character. When I bought my 201 it had just been completely serviced (oiled, new tapes, all the mechanical functions spec'd) and it just sounded weak, a complete lack of character in its decays. Who knows? It very well might have been my unique experience with these two particular units and not a specific difference in the manufacturing between the 150 and the 201. Good luck in your search though, the 150 I used was on loan and I think about it to this day!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear