The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird/Unusual Plugins
Old 17th November 2009
Weird/Unusual Plugins

Hey all. Just wondering what plugins are out there with really unique applications/sounds to them that aren't trying to be emulations of hardware or even of standard processes. I could care less about look or any of that, I'd just like to know what all is out there that is really "one-of-a-kind" as far as what it can do. The weirder the better! Actually, if y'all know of any hardware units that fit this description, list those too.

Thanks!

Last edited by Prime Tire; 17th November 2009 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: stupid keyboard
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

i was always a big fan of antares kantos. i could never figure out why it was discontinued. i still use it all the time. it can add so much texture to a mix. love it!

also, last week i came across the loomer plugins.
Loomer Audio Units, RTAS, VST Plugins for Mac OS X, Windows, Linux

i've been playing with them for a few days and am very impressed. not your usual fx plugins. very nice and they have free trials that you can check out.

marc
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

anything Ohmforce..... Very unusual plugins......
Old 17th November 2009
I'll definitely check all those out. Thanks for the responses! Keep 'em coming!
Old 17th November 2009
Pro Audio DSP's DSM.

Until they went out of business a few days ago, would have also said RNDigital's D4 (formerly Elemental Audio's Dynam-izer).

Sonnox Inflator

+1 for the Ohm Force stuff. Tres bien!

And although the internal processes are hardware-like, some of Flux' more esoteric plug-ins (Alchemist, maybe the new Syrah as well) don't really do things that any hardware I know of can do.

None of the above are terribly "weird" though. They get written about here because they're not like hardware at all. For outright "weird," look up SSL's X-Orcism - it's free!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Dynamic Spectrum Mapper!
Just awesome!

Dynamic Spectrum Mapper introduction on Vimeo
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

+ 1 on SSL X-Orcism. Had great fun with that one

G
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

GRM Tools.

They're absolutely stunning and outrageous. Most of the plug-ins like Doppler and Freeze are hit and miss: you might come up with some incredible sounds once in a while but often it's just random insanity....but it's worth getting the whole bundle just for BandPass which is an incredibly useful tool and soemthing of a secret weapon.
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Head

- Soundhack Spectral Shapers - Expert Sleepers Meringue (try his other stuff too)
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Technically an instrument i think... but destroyfx turntablist... lets you scratch/transform an audio track as if it were a vinyl record.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
GRM Tools.

They're absolutely stunning and outrageous. Most of the plug-ins like Doppler and Freeze are hit and miss: you might come up with some incredible sounds once in a while but often it's just random insanity....but it's worth getting the whole bundle just for BandPass which is an incredibly useful tool and soemthing of a secret weapon.

+1

smart electronix makes some really cool ones also
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

i aslo have to add the massey tape delay... Its not super crazy, or unique in that it makes a somewhat realistic tape delay sound...The Ohmboys delay is super whacky, and makes sounds that i never knew could be created... But in terms of a simple sounding Analog tape delay, the massey in my ears is hard to beat....

Edit - kinda forgot what you initially where asking about... I go to the TD5 for simple... Might not be what your looking for....
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
i aslo have to add the massey tape delay... Its not super crazy, or unique in that it makes a somewhat realistic tape delay sound...The Ohmboys delay is super whacky, and makes sounds that i never knew could be created... But in terms of a simple sounding Analog tape delay, the massey in my ears is hard to beat....

Edit - kinda forgot what you initially where asking about... I go to the TD5 for simple... Might not be what your looking for....
Have you tried the tape delay on fender amplitube. Seriously, I usually just bypass everything apart from the stomb boxes and use it as a return. Sounds pretty bloody authentic.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Have you tried the tape delay on fender amplitube. Seriously, I usually just bypass everything apart from the stomb boxes and use it as a return. Sounds pretty bloody authentic.

i havent, maybee ill give it a shot... r u talking about amplitube made by IK?
Old 9th December 2009
Company Rep

Quote:
i havent, maybee ill give it a shot... r u talking about amplitube made by IK?
We have a Tape Echo in AmpliTube Fender, yes. It really is worth trying, and though this isn't weird or unusual there's also the great 63 Reverb unit as a standout in there too.
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Maniac

For fun glitchy sounds check the free ware Glitch from Dblue
very easy to use and very good sounding glithiness...Shame I cant use it anymore as it doesn't work with cubase 5
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbeat View Post
For fun glitchy sounds check the free ware Glitch from Dblue
very easy to use and very good sounding glithiness...Shame I cant use it anymore as it doesn't work with cubase 5
Like that one a lot, too. Especially if put on the main bus and switched on for a few seconds at the end of a bar with tape stop. Works fine with cubase 5 here (v 5.0.1, win xp).
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Nut

Delay Lama.....if you ever need a virtual Tibetan Monk....
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Soundblender is really cool
Attached Thumbnails
Weird/Unusual Plugins-soundblender-large.jpg  
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore View Post
Soundblender is really cool
+ 1 on the soundtoys plugs. they are amazing, and can be as wacky as you would ever want or need them to be. soundblender is phenomenal. (have used it on many recent records) crystalizer, filter freak, trmolator... can all be really out there if that's what you're looking for...

also +2 on the soundhack plugs--they have some pretty crazy stuff. underrated...
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

I kinda like the Grungelizer...it mimics the sound of a vinyl record being played with several variables like noise, distortion, crackle and different cycles of hum and record speed (33-45-78). It's not the only plug that does this, but it's free and can work a charm on a purposely "vintage" track. In fact, if you play it at a level that is difficult to hear, it can add just enough noise to "un-pristine" a recording that just sounds TOO clear for the style of material.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Maniac

+1 for dBlue Glitch
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
anything Ohmforce..... Very unusual plugins......
+1 yup yup strange indeed.
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
We have a Tape Echo in AmpliTube Fender, yes. It really is worth trying, and though this isn't weird or unusual there's also the great 63 Reverb unit as a standout in there too.
i have that plug, ill have to check that one out...

Edit - Actually, upon further inspection, I have amplitube Duo, not amplitube fender.......

Last edited by ianbryn11; 10th December 2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: wrong info......
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD View Post
+1 yup yup strange indeed.
strange and amazing!!!! I got in on the group buy a year or so ago... One of the best things i ever did.....
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Izotope Spectron. I still haven't figured out that thing.
Old 10th December 2009
Here for the gear

Livecut is great fun for a free plugin, google it and you should find it.
Old 10th December 2009
wreckingstuff
Audio Damage :: Home
Old 10th December 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

YOU WA SHOCK!
home (youwashockvst)

The plugin is worth a download for the original description from the website alone, which leaves nothing to add:

"Make it truck shine !
You Wa Shock ! is VST/Winamp effect for brighten up and maximize any truck you hand him.
Use: Though nothing can bring back the missing particle You Wa Shock ! strength is in the behind parts. Excrete excite sound for your trucks. Push harder for more excite sound. The knob will go up. You can operate You Wa Shock ! as early as possible in the truck or to be late. The 4 A B C D fixings create new crunch excrete. Listen for a happy sound.

He makes your truck illuminate with the impact of Wa ! Maximizer of multiple band. The impact of Wa ! Power can be given with the Maximus engine."
Old 10th December 2009
Vogon
Priceless!

I'd just like to hear his chat-up lines.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear