The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blue Oyster Cult - Burning 4 U - Perfect mix?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Blue Oyster Cult - Burning 4 U - Perfect mix?

And the perfect sound?

I'm listening to it now (off the radio....hummghff.)

Everything sounds great, the drums are intelligible and powerful without sounding stupid, the bass is nice and articultate with a deep round sound, all notes still very clean and audible without sounding like it went through the cleaners.

The guitars sound great and the lead parts have a wonderful place in the mix. The vocals ARE up top, but don't sound obnoxious, a real chiller/it's the weekend track! A kick ass sound in my book for rock, a sound I dare say has been unsurpassed by many years of music that's followed.

Any info on the recording of this masterpiece? Love that song.

Steelyfan
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

I'm a closet B.O.C. fan, but I've only heard that song on the radio for many a moon. It might be time to find a good piece of vinyl and revisit that song. Don't know much about the recording, but they always worked with Sandy Pearlman. My favorite detail on that song is the reverb on on the spikey rhythm guitar that cuts dry at the end of each phrase. A classic.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah great track, "Don't fear the Reaper" is one of my all time favorite tracks, the mix is fabulous.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
Yeah great track, "Don't fear the Reaper" is one of my all time favorite tracks, the mix is fabulous.
If I could figure out that vocal sound, I'd use it for EVERY song I created from here on out! LOVE LOVE that song and sound. Just brilliant really.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm surprised nobody has any ideas on this one. I agree that those songs are almost Steely Dan like in their production values. Great stuff.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

The funny thing about BOC is that they never really stopped touring. I saw them a few times in the late 90's and once in 2002, and they put on a tremendous show. Buck Dharma is an absolutely fantastic guitarist; he has definitely improved since all those classic tunes were recorded.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
they have many innovative albums very underated band at least these days.
Mirrors and some other stuff that was incredible. Production was always top notch
with great vocals and gtr. It's the music everyone loves to hate - corporate rock.....

but guess what? today it's really just the alternative to alternative
which makes it cool in itself.
Old 19th November 2009
Perfect mix? I don't think so...seems like there should be a little more cowbell....
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Appel View Post
Perfect mix? I don't think so...seems like there should be a little more cowbell....
you saw the SNL version probably... LOL
It's still classic.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

On tour forever

In my opinion, their third record, Secret Treaties, is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Almost all of the 70's stuff is stellar and there are some great moments afterward - Fire of Unknown Origin being one of them. Not to mention the fabulous lyrics, some of which were contributed by Richard Meltzer, Sandy Pearlman and Patti Smith. The production style got a little too pristine for my tastes in the 80's but I can't hold it against them. They were my first big concert in 1975 and I saw them twice more, the last time in 2001 and they were just as great. All hail BOC!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Good stuff guys!

Something about that Reaper song. If a GOOD rock band could capture that sound (that reverb.......how?) , and it made it to the radio, people would just flip. Honestly, I don't know alot about them. When I hear them on the radio, I can tell it's them. A friend said that the singer wrote and played most of the music on the albulms!.....Really?

I need more BOC!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Paging Paulie Orifino... hello Paulie... time for story telling...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I need more BOC!
You Β΄got a fever! And the only prescription is more BOC!

more cowbell
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know alot about them. When I hear them on the radio, I can tell it's them. A friend said that the singer wrote and played most of the music on the albulms!.....Really?
I don't believe this is true at all. There are a lot of shared writing credits on BOC albums and a lot of contributions from outside lyricists as well. I believe that some of the later albums (that I'm not as familiar with) had outside musical writers as well. In fact, the lead singer (Eric Bloom) wasn't the lead singer at all on at least two of their bigger hits, (Don't Fear) The Reaper and Burnin' For You. Both of those were Buck Dharma (lead guitarist) songs and were sung by him as well. In fact, I believe that Burnin' For You was originally supposed to appear on a Buck Dharma solo album.

I've always thought of BOC as one of the few bands that actually benefited from "too many cooks in the kitchen"...
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

the guy that i interned for was one of the BOC studio engineers.

he claimed to have invented the technique of reamping drums,

and the first use of it supposedly was to replace the bad snare drum sound on "don't fear the reaper"
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Appel View Post
Somebody HAD to say it.... It's all part of pop culture history now!

I still wonder if the name Bruce Dickinson (Christopher Walkins character) was picked randomly... or if it had anything to do with Mr Golden Pipes himself of Iron Maiden fame?

Anyway...the only difference I can see between the two is that when one of them puts his pants on... he makes Gold records.... and the other... oh wait.......
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Head

Works for me

Listening to Internet radio and this song just came piping in over my ear buds. I have been paying closer attention to recorded guitar tones lately, and thought that these guitars were recorded just right for that song. Not over the top, but plenty enough to keep the listener interested. jddrews, thanks for pointing out the reverb detail.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

I use to cover that song back in the day. Sang lead and played lead guitar. I always thought the lyric was a little odd and the on/off reverb was odd too.

Still a great song and it brings back memories.
Old 2nd December 2009
Quote:
If I could figure out that vocal sound, I'd use it for EVERY song I created from here on out! LOVE LOVE that song and sound. Just brilliant really.
Steely, there is no "figuring out" - it starts with the source. Even if you had the same chain and same processing it wouldn't sound the same.

I'm a huge BOC fan - a band I used to tour with spent a good part of '79 and '80 opening for them and their old FOH guy was a good friend - George used to get all the sounds on the records spot-on live - it was amazing to watch him work.
Old 2nd December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingtiger View Post
In my opinion, their third record, Secret Treaties, is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Almost all of the 70's stuff is stellar and there are some great moments afterward - Fire of Unknown Origin being one of them. Not to mention the fabulous lyrics, some of which were contributed by Richard Meltzer, Sandy Pearlman and Patti Smith. The production style got a little too pristine for my tastes in the 80's but I can't hold it against them. They were my first big concert in 1975 and I saw them twice more, the last time in 2001 and they were just as great. All hail BOC!
Yeah. Sandy was my mentor......

Quote:
Good stuff guys!

Something about that Reaper song. If a GOOD rock band could capture that sound (that reverb.......how?) , and it made it to the radio, people would just flip. Honestly, I don't know alot about them. When I hear them on the radio, I can tell it's them. A friend said that the singer wrote and played most of the music on the albulms!.....Really?

I need more BOC!
In the studio it was probably a Lexicon 224. Live they used one of those big AKG spring reverbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeptusmajor View Post
the guy that i interned for was one of the BOC studio engineers.

he claimed to have invented the technique of reamping drums,

and the first use of it supposedly was to replace the bad snare drum sound on "don't fear the reaper"
I believe I recall Sandy telling me about that....
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Steely, there is no "figuring out" - it starts with the source. Even if you had the same chain and same processing it wouldn't sound the same.
Impossible.heh

I'm talkin about that Reaper vocal. No, that voice is coming out through a sea of fog, like the headless horseman riding through the woods at night, with a jambox on his shoulder. .........playing BOC. There is something going on there.
Old 2nd December 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=steelyfan;4842652]
Quote:

Impossible.heh

I'm talkin about that Reaper vocal. No, that voice is coming out through a sea of fog, like the headless horseman riding through the woods at night, with a jambox on his shoulder. .........playing BOC. There is something going on there.
+100..I'm listening to it right now and you described it PERFECTLY.....

PS. HOLY SH&T..I just put on cans and I have NEVER herd that low a&s harmony before..SCARY IN STEREO!!!!
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
+100..I'm listening to it right now and you described it PERFECTLY.....

PS. HOLY SH&T..I just put on cans and I have NEVER herd that low a&s harmony before..SCARY IN STEREO!!!!
I like your Avatar. Fail? does that mean he'll fail? or he'll fail at cleaning up
'W's mess? heh It can't be both

"It's almost the deadline
Don't miss the deadline, darling
When all your bad dreams will come true"
Old 2nd December 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, that voice is coming out through a sea of fog, like the headless horseman riding through the woods at night, with a jambox on his shoulder. .........playing BOC.
Steely Fan is brilliant. The vocal work on Reaper is great. Very underrated singers.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I spent last night on Youtube listening to their older albulms, stuff I've never heard. I listened to the albulms SPectres and Secret Treaties.

DAMN.

Those recordings are something else, so spo*** sounding...... DIG IT.
I mean, for groups that do experimental music or are into abstract sounds and sound design, yea. But for rock n roll, it has a WAY different vibe to it. Really , Really like the sound of those records. They have a errie charm/class to em'.

I think someone could get closer to that sound with a four track Tascam tape machine than a DAw setup. Almost like, drop the mic on the floor in front of the drums and then turn the guitar amps to the wall, away from the band. Everything is about how those vocals just ghost through the music. It's the strangest sound, but prob. common for the times.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Head

I really like Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, such a nice sound. The cymbal aggrevates me a bit, but other than that it's lovely. The remaster I've heard sounded too different though. A lot to be learned from these old records for the young 'uns.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

another dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgharding View Post
I really like Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, such a nice sound. The cymbal aggrevates me a bit, but other than that it's lovely. The remaster I've heard sounded too different though. A lot to be learned from these old records for the young 'uns.
Oh yea, but that's a staple sound. I mean, it's a benchmark for perfection in warmth/mojo/clarity.......and dare I say magic.

I was obsessed with this albulm for,well...... forever. It's beautiful sounding. The drum and bass sound on the song dreams is gorgeous.

There IS a black magic undertone to Dreams that turns me on to no end, but these older BOC records sound like something from another world, not just in time, but of another philosophy if human existence........and it's ROCK. More in common with maybe In The Court Of the Crimson King.
Old 4th December 2009
Quote:

I spent last night on Youtube listening to their older albulms, stuff I've never heard. I listened to the albulms SPectres and Secret Treaties.

DAMN.

Those recordings are something else, so spo*** sounding...... DIG IT.
I mean, for groups that do experimental music or are into abstract sounds and sound design, yea. But for rock n roll, it has a WAY different vibe to it. Really , Really like the sound of those records. They have a errie charm/class to em'.

I think someone could get closer to that sound with a four track Tascam tape machine than a DAw setup. Almost like, drop the mic on the floor in front of the drums and then turn the guitar amps to the wall, away from the band. Everything is about how those vocals just ghost through the music. It's the strangest sound, but prob. common for the times.
Actually, Steely, you need to hear them on vinyl. YouTube doesn't come close to doing them justice.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Actually, Steely, you need to hear them on vinyl. YouTube doesn't come close to doing them justice.

I can only imagine! What's really cool is that I now have a new band to get into that I really like, but know nothing about. Not to mention the garage sales and thrift store are probably loaded with their records!

If my experiences are consistent, I'm hoping to find ALL their records in one place, in a milk crate. What a TREASURE that would be.

My turntable's ready for some new tunes, bring out the BOC.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Blue Oyster Cult..........Simply put, they are perfectionists!

As some of you know, (Larry)
I worked on, and engineered the last two BOC albums at my studio here in Millbrook, NY.
"Curse of the Hidden Mirror"
"Heaven Forbid"
By no means would I compare these to the original releases you guys are talking about here, but I do have an insight as to why those records sound as good as they do.
During the course of these sessions I became very close with the group, and their process during these recordings.
After spending months on each album with these guys in the studio, I can tell ya this....
Simply put, they are perfectionists!
Especially Donald. (Buck Dharma)

He and I worked many long hours, to achieve his sonic goals.
He will do whatever it takes, and I mean whatever, to achieve a sound or a vibe.
Donald, and the guys will work on a song, part, or whatever till it feels & sounds right to them.

(If anyone is interested, I can get into details on the two records I did)

Funny enough, I also happened to work many times at the studio they used in Long Island (Kingdom Sound Studios) in the 80's. I was there while they were recording, although not involved in their sessions at the time.
And trust me the same was true then, only more so, as budgets were larger back then.
This is when they worked with Sandy and Martin Birch.
I do remember him (Martin) kicking in the TV screen in the studios lounge one day.
(More cowbell)

Anyhow, trust me, no expense was spared to get whatever sound, vibe, emotion, that the band or producer wanted.

I had a great time with them here at my place....Lot's of inside stories, and basic rock history.
As a matter of fact, one night after our session, we were drinking at the studio's private bar (BarFunGul) and a repeat of the episode of Saturday Night live came on with the more cowbell thing...
How surreal was this, I'm drinking with the guys at my bar and on the TV is the skit...
Weird...

Hey, this is why I got into the business in the first place.
Good music, good people.
What else could you ask for?
In fact it was an honor to have them here!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear