The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Oyster Cult - Burning 4 U - Perfect mix? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict
Dig the sound of that record.

I'd also suggest listening to some Supertramp records. Sound awesome!!!
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

That's a superb description of the vocals on Reaper Stellyfan... I totally agree with you they wrap themselves around your ears like w raith. It is one of those songs that, is virtually uncoverable. The vibe and mojo on the original is virtually perfect.

As you said so eloquently, everything just slides into view and then is gone. it is a masterclass in backing vocals as well. There are some stacked parts there , but they don;t ever overwhelm the song.

Do it again... Steely Dan
Mandolin Wind ...Rod Stewart
Rider on the Storm.. The Doors

All recordings that capture *something else* an intangible that you can never quite put your finger on, or a name to. I suppose it's a case of every single individual part creates the perfect atmosphere.

I think when people talk about that *70s* sound they forget, that gear aside, given the limitations of the number of tracks, people really did think about what parts were really truly needed. Not only that but how the were texturally complimentary to each other.

it's what i spend more time than anything else, agonising over on my own music. Not actually what is played, per se, but how it sounds in context. Does the guitar convey the sound the lyrics are singing about?

I might be wrong, but i wonder how many bands today, see their material as having texture, as well as, tone?

If you haven't heard it ..Curtain Call by the Damned, from their *Black album* is a superb exercise in texture over technique.. That song just totally reeks atmosphere in a similar way to "Don't fear the Reaper".

I think what I'm saying is, when people ask about 70s sounds, the answer is really. Quit with the *off the shelf* heavy guitar sound or whatever *off the shelf sound* that dominates the genre you work in and subvert the form. find your own voice etc etc...

Think the last time i heard a guitar sound that wasn't just *very well done but generic* was Swervedriver and *Never lose the feeling*. Every time I hear that song i just think..OMFG... i wish i'd come up with that sound... that is just so damn lush...
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock View Post
Dig the sound of that record.

I'd also suggest listening to some Supertramp records. Sound awesome!!!

Wow. Now this is getting weird. That IS the other band I've been checking out. It's like they have a kenship with the vibe of BOC, if you like BOC, you'll end up finding Supertramp.

To expand on this phenomenom and bring the transition into focus, in my sig , the link to my myspace there is the first song, called Jetset summer Tramp. Around the time I found BOC, I found supertramp, and thought "woW, these records sound freakin good, and nothiun sounds like this.....supertramp" there music is really original and for rock, quite peculiar.

Anyhow, after seeing some old videos of them I think something rubbed off, and I borrowed the word tramp for this song i never really new what to call. Why all of a sudden the word "tramp" appealed to me i didn't know. now i do.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

bocfan
Lives for gear

heh
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
bocfan
Lives for gear

heh
Kickass. u rock! very funny too... WAIT!

Everyone who's been rolling with this thread, we should create this bocfan, sign him in, and wi'll all take turns posting for him........sorta get him up to speed.
Our own collective member. ah haaaaa!
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Great band. Saw them once and it blew my mind at the time...Burning for you is a great example of a great mix..although I think it happens because the song and the performances are great...how they did it? who knows...probably a lot less involved than we think....modern mixing tends to be waaaay more complicated than back then.....go figure
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

YouTube - The Alan Parsons Project - The Voice (HQ Audio)

This is the first track i play on any new piece of audio gear.... the orchestral part and the glissando strings are ripped straight from Motown... and that's what music is all about? Taking the textures that fit and using them no matter where they come from?
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
it's what i spend more time than anything else, agonising over on my own music. Not actually what is played, per se, but how it sounds in context. Does the guitar convey the sound the lyrics are singing about?
Great post man, liking what you're sayin. Yea, does the tone of the instruments even make sense with the music? VERY important to me too.
In retrospect, other than the song itself, what's more important than the voice of the instrumnets? Nothing that I can think of. My taste too have changed pretty drastically over the years, I'm not old and set in my ways, I want more purity and sincerity in my music more than anything, trading away refinement for spirit and production for process and the moment.

Things that transcend skill and are more about feeling and the quality of a sound. Does that one keyboard note, just on that one word, does that drive it home.

kickass
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Martin Birch
one of the best most underrated or at least under appreciated producers/engineers
but Cultosaurus and Fire of unknown origin really do sound amazing partly due to him.

You look back at his career and he' worked with lots of great bands on lost of amazing records. All the early deep purple stuff. actually ALL the deep purple stuff. There are no better sounding records than Iron Maiden or Piece of mind Power Slave and the later maiden stuff. The Michael Schenker record he did sounds awesome.

Killers and Number of the beast were the texbooks for how 80's metal should be recorded. But some of my favorite records he worked on are the old Fleetwood Mac records before they sold out like Bare Trees & Mystery to me with Bob Welch. All the Peter Green era stuff as raw as it was, had the magic Rattle Snake Shake. All good stuff. Even the other deep purple stuff he did when they changed the band name to Whitesnake. Those records sound great too. 'Heaven and Hell' record? amazing. That is one of the best produced records ever.

He was like the Andy Wallace of the 70- 80's

Martin Birch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search