The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cold weather on gear
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Cold weather on gear

Did a search but got mixed answers. We have a project studio in a mother in law house which we use probably 2 times a week. It's Oklahoma so it can get pretty cold, but usually the coldest would be in the mid twenties and that wouldn't be for long. Is there certain things that I should remove? Tube pre's? Interfaces? Computers? Just would like to hear if anyone else has had the same problem and what you all have done about it.
Old 17th November 2009

Most electronics will not suffer from low temperatures... But 20's is very cold to expose your gear to on a regular basis. Are you leaving this stuff outside? If this is in an in law house that has plumbing, the pipes would burst.... and then you would have big problems.

Either way, I can't imagine exposing any nice condensers to extreme freezing temperatures.
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

That's just the thing... We don't even have water running in this building! The gas is turned off as well. We just have space heaters we crank on several hours before we do anything out there.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd just worry about condensation if there is any humidity when you are warming the place up.

If you get snap temperature changes, you might throw some packing blankets over the gear that would minimize air transit and slow the temp. changes. Like a gear cozy.

I don't know the effect of extreme cold on mics. You might take those with you to be safe.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

i've noticed some of my keyboards worked slower in the cold.....

took more time to select patches.....
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

If there is a way that you can setup, and breakdown the gear and take it with you, it would be better. Extreme conditions for gear is a tutt and sudden temperature changes is no good. Gear might be destroyed, and if not, you are definitely shortening the life span.

No expert here, just my 2 cents
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Consensation is THE problem you are facing. Well, I'm from Germany and we calcukate in degree Celsius. Professionally, I'm involved in building physics. When I got my first serious mixing desk (about 25 jears ago) I picked it up from the railway transport station in winter time. It was a modular 16/8/2. Luckily the powersupply arrived one day later so I could not fire it up.

We have calculated, based on the temperatre change from minus 5°C to plus 20°C and the surface of the mixer and the channle strips that about 2 LITRES of water had fallen out on the surface due to condensation.

When you heat your cold studio room, the air will cange temperature much quicker than the gear. Warm air can take up more humidity than cold air, this humidity WILL fall out on the cold equipment surfaces. When you fire the equipment up this can result in elecrtical failure due to short circuits.

In addition you are most likelly getting corrosion problems and problems with all the connection points of your equipment.

Therfore, a minimum temperature of plus 10°C all year is strongly recommended.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

The problem would be the change of temperature rather than the low temperature.

At least if its cold you have less noise...

Definately take microfones and any Instrument out of there.

Make sure you heat up the room very slowly.

Install a dehumidifyer (is this even a word?) that runs constantly.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Oklahoman here as well ("Okie" lol)...

I didn't see a list of gear that would be subjected to our low temperatures.

Some gear could "care less"....other gear might "care'. Guitarists and keyboard players WILL definitely care more.

Bri
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear