The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha M512 Console
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Yamaha M512 Console

Ok I asked this a long time ago and nobody replied. Does anybody know anything about this console? I got one and I like the sound. Currently using it as a summing console and it really adds great space and punch to my mixes. I've been told that the op amps and guts are the same as the PM2000. Any info someone could tell me would help. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha M512 Console-img10282127586.jpeg.jpg  
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

There's (or used to be) plenty of info on these on Yamaha Global Home with manuals, spec sheets and everything (even production timeline). Just google 'yamaha mixer history' or something and it should take you there.

I believe they came out a few years prior to 9 series, 15 series, and PM-2000 and to the best of my knowledge their architecture evolved quite a bit to become PMs even though I think the pres are similar.

That entire Yamaha line was pretty funky-sounding (with its destinct pros and cons) and it's great it's working for ya.

Cheers
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

I was looking to buy th same mixer and found out that, as said on this site, that is really from 1980.

History of Products - Yamaha Professional Audio: Yamaha Manual Library

It looks much older to me. heh

I was thinking of adding Direct outs to every channel. Is it possible?

Anyone else with some experience working on this little board???

Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

I borrowed one earlier this year when I ran out of channels on my PM2000, and used it for FX returns and splits to FX etc etc . It played very nice with my 2K. Not sure if it has the same op amps as the pm2000.

G
Old 22nd November 2009
Harmless Wacko

If that thing is adding great space and punch to your mixes I'm going to go buy an ICON and sum to mono cassette via lavaliere mic.

No really.

I love a lot of crappy old gear from the "semi-pro" era but... THIS IS A BRIDGE TOO FAR.

The TASCAM M-500 series?

Dude. Those things were an staggering embarrassment since the day they hit the store shelves. The only people who actually bought them were people who COULDN'T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE.

Like me.

I musta done 100+ demos and self funded records on a M520/ATR-60-16 from 1988-1992.

AWFUL KIT.

DREADFUL.

SATANIC.

NOTHING GOOD ABOUT IT.

NADA.

ZIP.

Don't know how else to express it.

SM.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post

The TASCAM M-500 series?

Dude. Those things were an staggering embarrassment since the day they hit the store shelves. The only people who actually bought them were people who COULDN'T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE.

Like me.

I musta done 100+ demos and self funded records on a M520/ATR-60-16 from 1988-1992.

AWFUL KIT.

DREADFUL.

SATANIC.

NOTHING GOOD ABOUT IT.

NADA.

ZIP.

Don't know how else to express it.

SM.
..but..its a Yamaha.
Old 22nd November 2009
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
..but..its a Yamaha.
LMFBO.

IT IS!!!!!

WHOOHOOOO!!!

I gotta leave this up for the sheer "I'm an idiot" factor!!!

Dyin' here.

What a f*ckin' maroon(as Bugs Bunny would say).

Ahh me.

Bedlam and Confusion.

XOXOX

Slippy

PS. The attached isn't my old one, just something I found on the internot. Broke out in hives when I saw it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha M512 Console-satansown.jpg  
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

I've got a Yamaha MR1242 - not quite as vintage as that, but it's still a great sounding little board (if quite noisy, and large for it's features).
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear